• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Look at my gaming videos!

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Burge - 07 November 2018 03:52 PM

No because people wouldn’t know what the hell you are taking about without an example. Trust me

Well, I didn’t expect game movies to be this unknown here. That was my bad. I thought it would be the same thing as describing what walkthroughs or smth. are. It would’ve been too redundant, or so I thought.

Anyway, if you didn’t know, you could’ve also checked out my channel, it’s one giant example. Tongue

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Tamiil - 07 November 2018 04:18 PM

Well, I didn’t expect game movies to be this unknown here. That was my bad.

1) Most adventure gamers are old school, and rather than watching videos they prefer actually playing stuff. I personally don’t even watch walkthrough videos if there’s a text document available. Usually, there is. In the couple of cases where there wasn’t, I wrote those myself.  Wink

2) “Game movie” is not self-explanatory. If you say that, the first thing that comes to my mind are (usually embarassingly bad) motion pictures based on game franchises, such as Tomb Raider, Wing Commander, etc.

3) Even after reading the explanation in two separate threads, I still don’t quite get the point of these. There’s practically speaking no original content, as it’s just game footage that’s edited together. That kind of reminds the sitcom presentation on Seinfeld about “show about nothing”, where TV bosses asked why anyone would watch it, and they answered “because it’s on TV”. The only reason I can think to watch game movies as you define them is “because it’s on YouTube”. Otherwise a game is best presented in the game itself, as it was meant to be seen.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

1) Nothing to add here. If true, then good, you should play games yourself.

2) I would argue “Walkthrough” isn’t self explanatory as well if you haven’t heard about it. I’m not going to call game movies something else, just cause the term might confuse people who don’t know what it is. Tongue

3)There’s definitely a point to them, they’re just not for you. It’s like I’ll never understand streaming your playthroughs. You can lay all the reasons why it’s great on the table and I’ll still be scratching my head asking “Why would this be interesting to anyone?”

I have a pretty clear understanding on who game movies are for, but like anything they’re not for everybody.

And yes, I totally agree that games are meant to be played. You can’t replicate existing and experiencing a game world and story for yourself in any kind of video. I never understood people who’re interested in playing something and then decide to watch a walkthrough in its entirety instead of buying and playing it themselves. If you’re interested, then play it and get the full experience instead of complaining how the player shouldn’t have done that or chose the wrong dialogue option etc.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Burge - 07 November 2018 03:52 PM
Tamiil - 02 November 2018 08:23 PM
Burge - 02 November 2018 07:54 PM

I don’t know why you would post walls of text but not one actual example of what you mean.

Well, I was asking if it was okay to do that. Asking the question and then doing it straight away anyway without hearing people out would defeat the purpose wouldn’t it?

No because people wouldn’t know what the hell you are taking about without an example. Trust me

I was able to make a reasonable guess based on what was said; I’d assume at least some others could, too, and Tamiil clarified when asked. Of course an example would have been helpful, but you could just have asked for one instead of being so rude.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top