• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG’s old Top 20 lists

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

It says on the AG top 20 from 2001 that the Top 20 feature was done before and there were previous lists. Is there anywhere I can find those old lists?

I’m just curious Laughing

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Great, thanks! Smile

Interesting how different it is from the 2012 list. Willy Beamish, Dagger of Amon Ra and Zork all in the top 20. Zork!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Woah, surprised to see Marek was actually the editor-in-chief at one point. I always thought he was more of the ominous presence, coding the website and taking care of the biz side of things.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Marek did a lot to define this site’s identity. Part of what makes AGs AGs is its extremely high editorial standards, generally outclassing “professional” sites, and the site came really came into its own in that respect when Evan, and even more so Jack, became editor in chief. But the second part of its DNA is its optimistic, forward-thinking approach to the evolutions of the genre, and that was all Marek.

At a time when the genre was going through its biggest identity crisis ever, you had two ways to react. If you wanted torrents of bile, self-pity and neverending, powerless anger at the changing times, the newly-dominant genres and all those stupid new gamers who were ruining everything for the rest of us, then you followed Randy Sluganski and JA. If, on the other hand, you wanted optimism, intelligent reflections on how new technologies and design philosophies could help reshape the genre for the better, and a staunch belief that adventure games could come out of this crisis more diverse, more fresh and more interesting than they had been, then you followed Marek Bronstring at AG.

(At this point, I guess we know who was right.)

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Then again it isn’t easy to stay optimistic when you spend the better half of a decade having cancer and then dying from said cancer.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 January 2013 11:47 AM

At a time when the genre was going through its biggest identity crisis ever, you had two ways to react. If you wanted torrents of bile, self-pity and neverending, powerless anger at the changing times, the newly-dominant genres and all those stupid new gamers who were ruining everything for the rest of us, then you followed Randy Sluganski and JA. If, on the other hand, you wanted optimism, intelligent reflections on how new technologies and design philosophies could help reshape the genre for the better, and a staunch belief that adventure games could come out of this crisis more diverse, more fresh and more interesting than they had been, then you followed Marek Bronstring at AG.

Heh. Yes, that’s true. Totally different crowds, totally different owners. I frequented both sites and found the discussions here at AG fascinating in those days. So many creative ideas. But I also remember the forum wars the pressure and accusations that players who liked hand-drawn 2D adventures were holding back the genre and should stop being so egocentric.  Thumbs Up

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 06 January 2013 01:38 PM

Then again it isn’t easy to stay optimistic when you spend the better half of a decade having cancer and then dying from said cancer.

Randy was already good at picking fights with other sites in the early years, before he got cancer.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Fien - 06 January 2013 02:25 PM

But I also remember the forum wars the pressure and accusations that players who liked hand-drawn 2D adventures were holding back the genre and should stop being so egocentric.  Thumbs Up

You can say that again. Between those and the LucasArts thought police (who, surprisingly enough, were sometimes the same people), the atmosphere could be pretty noxious at times. I’ve read this site since the late 90s, but I would never have considered posting on the forums until the climate changed quite a bit in the mid-noughties.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Fien - 06 January 2013 02:25 PM

Heh. Yes, that’s true. Totally different crowds, totally different owners. I frequented both sites and found the discussions here at AG fascinating in those days. So many creative ideas. But I also remember the forum wars the pressure and accusations that players who liked hand-drawn 2D adventures were holding back the genre and should stop being so egocentric.  Thumbs Up

Really? I remember it differently, like certain traditionalists saying that adventure games could never possibly work in 3D (being oblivious to Tex Murphy, but then, that always was an odd exception). Then came Dreamfall along and somehow discussions like this were over once and for all. I guess my perspective outs my position! Tongue
Of course, the war between traditionalists and progressives is still raging. We merely have a temporary cease-fire at the moment. Wink

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Grin

My position has always been that I’ll play any adventure if it’s good. I hate the Tex Murphy 3D environment but it doesn’t make any difference.

I wonder how some of the then progressive posters would now feel about the popular retro-look…  Naughty

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top