• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Lucien21 gaming journal 2013

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Raven : Legacy of a Master Thief

First episode in this Agatha Christie style adventure game.

The Raven is a thief that was thought to be dead, but when one of the two Eyes of the Sphynx gets stolen from the British Museum it sets off a quest to catch the new master thief.

You are a Swiss constable (Zellner) who thrusts himself into the investigation due to his love of the books of Lady Westmacott (I see what they did there). The 2nd Eye is being transported across land and sea to Cairo. Can you help the legendary Inspector Legrand in protecting it and catching the Thief red handed?

The game is steeped in Agatha Christie traits, it starts on a Train (The Orient Express), Has lots of suspicious well-to-do characters (Butlers, Baronesses, The Lady Westmacott, Doctors and young wealthy heiresses) and ends on a cruise ship.

The game is pretty laid back with most of the game being at a slow pace. There is no hurry to continue the investigations. You start off at a leisurly place, helping a character get back into his cabin, finding a missing purse etc. This allows you to get to know all the personalities and build up a picture of their motivations and potential secrets.

Puzzles are faily straightforward, nothing is really that taxing. Mostly you talk to everyone, a bunch of inventory puzzles and more talking. There are a couple of other types later in the episode (Lockpicking and shuffle board), but this is an old fashioned adventure game.

Graphics are excellent in the game, but I found that the default detected resolution in the game made the animation painfully slow and had to dial it down a notch to get a decent speed. Even then though there were issue with the graphics in the game. Backgrounds and locations are well done. The characters all look distinct, but animations are very slow, pathfinding is occasionally all over the place and especially in closeups the faces are a bit lifeless.

Fortunatly the actually story is well written , the music is fabulous and the voice work is superb across the board. Characters have unique personalities that adds to the plot, but unfortunatly I found Zellner to be a bit non-descript in comparison.

Mechanically the game is fine. The inventory could at times get in the way of leaving a scene as it popped up, but the diary is essential reading as it tracked your progress and some decent drawings and comments to help out. The idea of having “Adventure Points” is fun with you getting points for solving puzzles and points deducted for using hints or even for using the hotspot identifier.

Overall I had a lot of fun with the game, the pacing, the voice work and atmosphere all give it a “just 20 more mins” charm that makes you want to keep playing.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Great fair Review Lucien ,
i wanna ask you this;  do think (like i do) that the Characters facials/movements , Graphics and animations are a great update since years (5-7 maybe) .
as we were always since the start of adventure seeing every year obvious updates and an upgrades with the Adventure games technology(s)  but (IMO) that had stopped for while and since Still life or Syberia Maybe , there were nothing giving that can be recognized as a better out-look/put , expect for Telltale and King-arts Games.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 29 July 2013 10:45 PM

that the Characters facials/movements , Graphics and animations are a great update since years (5-7 maybe) .
as we were always since the start of adventure seeing every year obvious updates and an upgrades with the Adventure games technology(s)  but (IMO) that had stopped for while and since Still life or Syberia Maybe , there were nothing giving that can be recognized as a better out-look/put , expect for Telltale and King-arts Games.

Though not directed at me, but its the first thing that came to my mind, the
engine is really good, at some points looking as good as CG, at others some
facial animations were funny. But overall really great engine, which makes me
want other AG at same level. Imagine GK, Siberia in this engine. Heart

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Advie - 29 July 2013 10:45 PM

Great fair Review Lucien ,
i wanna ask you this;  do think (like i do) that the Characters facials/movements , Graphics and animations are a great update since years (5-7 maybe) .

Certainly the graphics are very nice, design and resolution.

The problem is the animation which is really bad at times.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Gone Home

What does your house say about you? If someone were to search your house what kind of picture would they put together about your life and everyday activities. Is a house a home filled with the memories of the occupants?

That’s what Gone Home is..

You play a young girl called Katie as you return home, in the middle of a thunderstorm, from an extended European trip to you parents new home. You find it empty and an ominous letter from your young sister tapped to the door.

You know have to explore the house and uncover what is going on.

This is a small indie first person narrative explortation game. It’s a 3D rendered world where you can move around and interact with virtually every object in the game. Lift up that cup, open all the drawers and search for clues. Along the way you will find lots of notes, letters, brochures and other clues about the people who live in this house.

Some of the items will have more significance and trigger a voice over telling your sisters story from her point of view. Most others you have to piece together the story from scraps of letters, invoices, books and more. Although these clues can come in any order and can be missed, only the main Sam story is essential to completion.

I had a lovely time with this game. The main story is sweet without being clotting, a coming of age drama from a unique (for video games) angle, the secondary and tertiary stories paint the picture of a family that isn’t as perfect as the family portraits make you believe.

The graphics are excellent and the home looked lived in, although it looked like it had been robbed by the time I finished the game.

The music was superb throughout and the voice acting for Sam was particularly well done.

I could have wished for more challenge, some puzzles to stretch out the 3 hours it took me to complete it, but I think this game is better as a bite sized product to be consumed at one sitting.

5/5

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

An XBLA puzzle adventure, part of the Summer of Arcade, has been gaining a lot of praise for it’s story and setting.

You play two brothers who set off through a georgous fantasy world of Trolls and Giants to find a cure for your father who is on the verge of dying.

The twist is that you control bother brother at the same time. Each of the analogue sticks control one of the brother and the triggers act as each of their action/interact button. Each of the brother will react differently to interactions and each have different skills that can be used to solve the puzzles.

At the beginning it’s akin to patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time. The control scheme takes a bit of getting used to, esp when the brothers are on the wrong side of the screen or the camera is facing towards you. However you do get used to it fairly quickly.

The graphics are superb with glorious sunset and vistas sprinkled in with snowy towns, giant castles and a battlefield full of running blood and giant bodies.

The story is poignant and touching, two brothers who have already lost their mother, desperate to save thier dying father. It’s beautifully told without speech as the characters grunt some kind os Ico-like language.

In fact the entire game reminded me of ICO, except dragging the other character around you actually have hands on control. The ICO homage even extends to the variety of benches you can sit on during the game.

Puzzle wise the game is all about using the abilities of each brother and working in tandem to solve the simple obstacles put in your way. These range from the straight forward hold a lever to keep a door open for the other to run through to luring enemies into cages to trap them.

Overall it last about 3-4 hours and was a lot of fun once you master the controls.

4/5

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

does it feel like Gobliiins in anyhow?... i hate arcades but maybe you would encourage me for this as the graphics and the animation are great , also what about playing it on PC ... would it be fun???

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Advie - 17 August 2013 12:56 PM

does it feel like Gobliiins in anyhow?... i hate arcades but maybe you would encourage me for this as the graphics and the animation are great , also what about playing it on PC ... would it be fun???

By Arcade I mean the Xbox 360’s indie games service. It’s not on the PC yet, but it supposed to be coming soon, but not sure how you would control it without a gamepad.

The game looks like this

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

2nd episode in this Agatha Christie style adventure game.

Continues on from the cliffhanger ending with you still on the cruise ship before transporting you the the Egyptian museum where the 2nd eye is to go on display.

I was disappointed in the second episode. It was far too short and rather than being an episode of it’s own it seems to straddle two seperate ones.

Puzzles are still straightforward in this episode, nothing is really that taxing.

The idea of having “Adventure Points” is fun with you getting points for solving puzzles and points deducted for using hints or even for using the hotspot identifier. I ended up with the top marks for not using the hints or the hotspot locator button.

Overall I the first episode is still the best.

2.5/5 for the episode
3/5 overall

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Latest in the long running Splinter Cell series (first one without Michael Ironside).

Once again you play as Sam Fisher, super spy, as you stealth your way through missions trying to sneak into heavily guarded facilities, take out guards without being detected and general saving the world by being a sneaky git.

This time around a group of terrorists called The Engineers are promising a series of attacks against America (The Black List) unless America withdraws their troops from around the world and stops meddling in other nations business. (Very meta considering Syria etc)

Sam and his crew form Fourth Eschelon and take off onboard ‘Paladin’, a mobile tactical base housed in a large plane. Free from interferance from the government, they are able to go anywhere and do anything to try and stop the Black List from happening.

The plane acts as you hub between missions and allows you to walk around and talk to the characters, change your weapons, upgrade the plane and select your next missions. It’s like a 3D menu or if you like, it’s bit Mass Effect-ish (on a smaller scale) and even includes a series of loyalty missions for each character that unlock items or abilities to help in the main quest.

So you see yourself bouncing around the globe from Iran to Gitmo gathering intel and killing/knocking out bad guys.

After spending time upgrading the coffee facilities and adding in a female loo, you can Launch a mission from the SMI board on the main deck. You are given the opportunity to customise your load out to try and fit your play style into one of the games 3 scripted playstyles. Ghost (complete silence no killing), Panther (Stealth only silent kills), Assault (Bugger stealth) depending on how you get through each level you are scored in each of these types and receive money for more upgrading (Rec room needs a new 50” TV) or weapons.

Missions are varied in look and feel and are a joy to get round. There are multiple ways through each level and the sense of verticality and places to hide are back. Shimmy up pipes, crawl through air ducts or just walk up to the front door and start blasting. Although that last one is frowned upon as it throws a lot more guards at you once the alarm goes off.

It’s certainly an improvement on SC:Conviction which tried to go balls out action and less stealthy in it’s reboot, revenge plot. Although some game mechanics have carried over from that game (like the mark targets and auto execute move) there is a lot more freedom to go stealth as well.

One nod to modern gamers is that the main quest seems fairly easy compared to the more brutal Splinter Cells of old. I rarely hide the bodies, but it didn’t seem to make any difference once you passed a checkpoint. You would think that setting off the alarm in one part would alert everyone in the whole complex that I was there, but maybe that is too realist and hard. I remember some of the old games setting off alarms as I was just about to finish a level because they found a body I left way back at the start.

Overall I enjoyed the game. It seemed a capable shooter and a more than capable stealth game. Shooting targets in the head and watching them drop before they know you were there is still satisfying as is hiding in the shadows and avoiding all contact.

I never touched the multiplayer so the much hearalded return of spies vs Mercs is lost on me, but as a single player game it’s probably the best Splinter Cell since Chaos Theroy and that’s not a bad thing.

4/5

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

3rd and final episode in this Agatha Christie style adventure game.

Continues on from the cliffhanger ending with you still on the cruise ship before transporting you the the Egyptian museum where the 2nd eye is to go on display. This remains the same for episode 3 but from the view of another character (This bring a total of 3 controlled characters in the game)

I was disappointed in the second episode. It was far too short and rather than being an episode of it’s own it seems to straddle two seperate ones. The Third episode is an improvement mainly due to this one wrapping up the story etc, but throwing in another controllable character seemed like a mistake (esp as they don’t seem to do anything).

Puzzles are still straightforward in this episode, nothing is really that taxing. I was stuck on one, but that was mainly because I had missed a vital hotspot.

Storywise the ending seemed to come very suddenly and although it wrapped up the main plot it left too much hanging. The “twist” was pretty obvious and I didn’t think that it satisfactory closed all the storylines. There were a few intersting characters in the game that are unfortunatly completely ignored in this episode (because you were playing the villian) leaving you wanting more from them. What happened to Ms Westecott, her assistant, The Professor and the little boy etc.

Mechanically I had a couple of bugs in this episode. Had to reboot once as the character just jogged on the spot, Once There was an empty wheelchair and a hotspot for Mrs Westercott even though she was somewhere else on the screen and once coming down a ladder the character model glitched to another place and back.

The idea of having “Adventure Points” is fun with you getting points for solving puzzles and points deducted for using hints or even for using the hotspot identifier. I ended up with the top marks for not using the hints or the hotspot locator button.

Overall I the first episode is still the best and the longest. The overall game took about 15 hours with episode 3 being about 2.5 hrs.

3/5 for the episode
3.75/5 overall

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Grand Theft Auto V

The biggest and most anticipated game launch of the year. Made over a $1 billion in a week.

Grand Theft Auto has always been a satirical parody of the American Dream told through the eyes of a small time criminal.

GTA IV was about an immigrant coming to Liberty City to start a new life. In the fifth outing they have relocated to the other coast and give you the city of Los Santos and the mountains and desert region that surrounds it. It has branched out to let you control three characters that you can swap between during the game in a google maps pan out type animation. (Usually it puts you into the other character at mundane points, but Trevor is always doing something binkers crazy like the time I switched to him and he was throwing someone off a bridge or the time he was waking up drunk on a beach in his tighty whiteys surrounded by bodies—weird)

Michael is the brains. A successful bank robber who retired to the good life in Los Santos only to find that it is unsatisfying and his wife and kids are spoiled, entitled gits and therapy isn’t helping his midlife crisis.

Franklin is the small time hood struggling to get by doing small scores and hanging with his homie Jamar. An expert driver he is usually boosting cars and doing repo jobs.

Trevor is a total and utter psychopath who lives in the desert surrounding Los Santos, has his own meth business, runs guns and using his special rampage skill he kills anyone who gets in his way.

How there three link together and end up pulling heists is the entire basis of the story. Set in the backdrop of a failing American Dream, home repossessions rife and the financial crisis at its height can you rise above and make some money the old fashioned criminal way.

GTA is a huge open world that lets you steal cars and drive around doing main story missions or you can take part in the huge list of pastimes, random encounters and side missions that litter the truly beautiful world that they have designed.

You can play darts, tennis and golf (pretty reasonable versions of them) more or less from the start, but later on you can do all sort of races from moutain biking to cars and triathlons.

Try your hand at parachuting, flying planes (Steal a fighter jet from the military base for extra fun) and helicopters, swimming or going diving in the ocean for nuclear waste.

A lot of the time could just be enjoying the scenery, taking Chop for a walk, climbing a mountain to sit up there and watch the sun go down, sit at home and watch the funny TV shows (Fame or Shame. lol) or base jump off the top of a building, or maybe just drive around listening to the superb soundtrack that has about a dozen radio stations playing everything from country to gansta rap.

Missions are varied and for the most part fun to play, however they can involve a LOT of driving, in typical GTA style it’s usually pick someone up drive to a place, shoot some people and then drive away escaping the police.

Luckily all the controls have been tightened up since the last game, driving is no longer sluggish, gunfights have cover control and snap to targetting making shooting a lot more satisfying than in previous games.

The new additions to the game freshen the series up with the three characters allowing for some cinematic missions. For example one of them involves abducting someone from a high story building. Trevor is the pilot so control him to fly you to the building, switch to michael to absail down the side or franklin who is providing sniper support.

Sometimes the game will switch you automatically or you can choose you fly or shoot depending on your favourite character.

This is most important in the bigger heist missions where you have to choose from two different approaches to the jobs, hire a crew based on skills or cost, set up the job and then carry it out.

The heists are the best bits in the game, but unfortuatly they are only a few of them so i’m torn as to whether there are just enough of them or too few.

Making money isn’t just linked to the main heist missions, you can play on the stock exchange, buy propert and businesses, rob ATMs, shops or armoured cars etc etc the choices are varied.

Overall the story is funny, dramatic and well put together. The open world is technically superb, full of fun things to do and georgous to look at.

Certainly one of the Top 5 games of the year and one of the best games on current gen consoles.

5/5

45 hr 29 min = 70% complete

So now to mop up all the optional stuff.

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Wolf Among Us - Ep 1: Faith

Full disclosure in that I’m a big fan of the Fables comic. I have read all 130 odd issues and the various spin offs.

So it was important that this managed to capture the look and feel of the comic and it’s characters.

On that front I can say that i’m impressed in the first episode.

The graphics look great and the atmosphere invoked is very reminicent of the source.

The characters are well written for the most part although it’s weird seeing Snow as such a submissive character. In the comics she is a tour de force that runs fable town and is a stronger female. I got the impression from this that she was a bit more unsure of herself. However as it’s a prequal maybe they are building her up to the character from the comics.

The others seemed fine with Bigby being the standout, but it will be interesting to see if they add in some of the other fan favourites like Cinderella (Super Agent), Flycatcher and Boy Blue.

The story is interesting and occassionally thrilling with a couple of fun fight scenes and a chase sequence to get the blood pumping. However this isn’t a game about survival like TWD it’s a murder mystery so the lack of interaction and freedom is more prounounced in this type of genre.

There is nothing in the way of puzzles, very little room for movement or exploration with only 4 or 5 locations where you basically just look at everything highlighted in the environment and then move on the next bit.

It’s a game about choices, Little choices and bigger ones that may come back to bit me on the ass. Did I make the right ones…only time will tell.

Great story, little in the way of actual traditional gameplay.

3.5/5

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Beyond:Two Souls

The latest game from Quantic Dream, (Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain) so the type of game this is should come as no surprise.

Blurring the lines between games and movies this really is an interactive movie, filled with A-list celebs. Or at least there is two of them.

You play as Ellen Page, sorry Jodie Holmes, a confused and lost girl who has been tethered to an entity her entire life. Scaring the shit out of her parents with her ghostly powers she is transfered to a government lab under the care of Willem Defoe, sorry Nathan Dawkins, who studies her and her connection to the afterlife.

You get to control both Jodie and Aiden as your journey through 15 years of her life as a government guinea pig.

Jodie is controlled like most QD games, you have limited space to move around with the left stick and interact with items and people in the game world with the right stick. Hotspots or white dots appear when you can interact with items and generally moving the right stick in the direction of the dot performs whatever action is required from opening a door to doing the dishes. Occassionally more QTE like events happen esp during combat where (in a change from the previous game) time slows down and you have to push in the direction that Jodie is moving to fight or dodge. Less prevelent this time is the hold R1, X, square and R2 type movements although smaller chains do appear on occassion and some normal button mashing QTE still survives.

Overall I found the new streamlined changes to the control seamless and pulling them off became second nature pretty quickly.

Aiden has a more free range movement as he can move in any direction and pass through walls etc, but has a limited range he can move away from Jodie. His interaction is limited to spying on conversations, causing items to go flying with a push mechanic, electrical items to fuse out and later in the game you can possess or kill certain bodies.

Switching between characters can give some variety to how sequences are completed, but there are a lot of scripted bits where it limits what can be interacted with in service of the plot or cinematic goodness. For example the embassy mission right at the start can be completed by going through the walls and tricking security, break into safe with Aidens powers or you can possess a sheik and walk through security.

The story is typical David Cage and your interest in this game will probably come down to how much you like his bat shit crazy premises. This one lands some where between the grounded Heavy Rain and the totally weird Farenheit ending, but you do work for the Paranormal Defense Agency and are dealing with ghostly entities and portals in to the Infraworld. So not you normal day to day story.

You play Jodie at various points in her life over a 15 year period and the game is broken down into distinct mini-sequences in her timeline. It’s just that they decided to hit shuffle on the ipod script and you bounce around her life like a Yo Yo. Each sequence varies in lenght and one minute you are a kid in your first interview with Nathan, next mission might be you as a homeless bum and then you are making dinner and romancing some guy into bed, then you are at your first teenage party preparing to go all Carrie on their ass (or not choice is yours).

At first I hated the bouncing around in time as it seemed random and it just put you into sequences with no idea what lead you to that point. Later on I think it all comes right in the end, but i’m still conflicted that the story might have been better told straight or just more work put into the order. I enjoyed it, but some of the sequences were just plain random (*Cough*Navaho*cough).

Other than the story the stand out in this game is the truely astounding voice work and graphics. Ellen Page is great in the game, lending a vulnarability and believability to the character. Willem Defoe chews up the screen like the great actor he is. Both character models look freakily like their real world counterparts and skirt the uncanny valley on more than one occassion. The animation is generally great and the look and feel of the game is superb throughout.

So overall I think it is a game verging on greatness, It looks, sounds and feels fantastic. The interaction is seemless and limited which might put some people off and finally the story is good, but crazy, but it could have been tightened up more.

4/5

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Batman: Arkham Origins

This is the third game in the successful Arkham Batman games series.

The first two games were made by Rocksteady Games and were superb games in their own right, blending the Batman DC universe into compelling and fun games. Known for it’s superb melee combat system and the vast range of weapons at your disposal they were easy to pick up, but challenging to master. The flow of combat was a thing of beauty when you got it working, taking out groups of enemies either in silent stealthy mode or free flowing melee was never boring.

This time around Rocksteady are rumoured to be working on a next gen Justice League or Silver Age Batman game so it was handed over to WB Montreal to take the series forward this year.

Unfortunatly, they literally and figuarivley they have done the opposite. Set two years before the original game this sees Batman in his early days, the police still think he is a myth or a menace, he is younger and more brutal and he hasn’t met most of his most famous rougues gallery yet.

So it’s Christmas Eve and Black Mask puts a $50 million bounty on the Bats head, meaning that every villian and assassin is out to get you.

The problem is that they make the same mistake that most prequels make in video gaming and movies. How to do a prequel, but not make the game seem like a backwards step. In this you have all the toys from the previous game plus some more. That makes virtually no narrative sense as some of the tech was invented in the 2nd game set way in the future so why does he have this stuff now. How does the tech in this look better than the tech in the future???

Minor quibble I know but it’s still annoying. How do you move gameplay forward while regressing the storyline to an earlier period. ANSWERS on a postcard to XXXXX.

The game is great to look at and retains all the charm of the forst two games which means it’s a hell of a lot of fun to play and it’s kinda addictive.

HOWEVER there is a giant elephant in the room the whole time you are playing it. It’s difficult to quite put your finger on, but the game is missing a certain spark or the Rocksteady games. It’s a good copy, but you can’t help but know that it’s not the original.

Whether it’s just because it’s the 3rd game and you have seen it all before, but there is a nagging sense of been there done that all the way through the game. It replicates the previous games instead of building upon them. Fighting, exploration and some of the enemies have been tweaked, but not changed enough to warrent another go in Gotham.

You can’t help but feel this is a missed opportunity to really go back to the Bat Origin tale and do Batman Year One, with limited gadgets, not quite as experienced a detective and fighter and build out the Batman/Gordon relationship more than they have here.

However what you get is a nice replication of Arkham City, if that is what you want.

Mediocre at best.

3/5

Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top