• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Will you be my friend?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2018-10-23

PM

You’re the new face in town and know not a soul. You’ve correctly assessed that this will never do and being the mildly wild party thrower that you are, you decide it is best to hit the town and invite the colorful townsfolk to your wonderful bash as you extend your hand in the name of friendship…

At its core, “Will you be my friend” boils down to one question, “How much are you willing to change in order to fit in?”

This game focuses on the idea of friendship, and more so the loneliness that is associated with the lack of it. The player is presented with the opportunity to confront this world full of separation and rejection, with their own story unfolding throughout the experience based on how they choose to handle the process.

Our game is a short story adventure that is although fun and quirky at times, goes beneath that thin layer of upbeat charm and unveils a deep and thought provoking tale that explores themes of friendship, rejection, and fitting in at the cost of the ones self. 

I’m posting on the site to get the opinion of what would be my core audience. This game if for people like you, and id honestly like to hear any feed back you have. I have a kick-starter running for anyone interested in supporting us, its updated regularly and has much more to be seen then what I’ve posted here.  Other than that, i look forward to sharing with you more as the project progresses!

Kickstarter

Later friends!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Thanks for sharing - this looks like a game I’d be interested to play!

A couple of comments on the KS page:

The ‘PlayTesting’ reward and the ‘Early copy’ one both say ‘get your hands on the game early’, but the playtesting one is half the price - is that because it doesn’t include a copy of the finished version? It would be helpful to clarify that - I don’t think KS lets you edit rewards in-flight but nobody’s picked the playtesting one yet so you might be able to cancel that and replace it with a reworded version.

The images you have on the page show the graphical style clearly enough, but we can only take your word for the mesmerising, memorable music - if you could add some work-in-progress music or link to previous work from the composer that’d be encouraging!

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I don’t get the point.

Your funding goal is only two hundred dollars, but the campaign is running for two months.

Is this just for publicity or something?

In any case, I am not too thrilled about Kickstarters that don’t have a serious funding goal. I once supported a project that didn’t make the goal the first time, and the second time they came back with an unrealistically low goal. I didn’t back it then, but it made it anyway. The last time I checked, it had almost 100% negative reviews on Steam, but somehow they got the game made, at least.

And like the previous poster said, those tiers and pricing seems to be completely off.

Anyway, if this a serious project, and the game will be made some day, I wish luck with that. I might play it when it’s finished one day.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I don’t understand either the point of a $200 campaign.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2018-10-23

PM

Hey friends, I appreciate all your questions and ill do my best to answer them all. Admittedly I’m fairly new to this, and up to this point I’ve been self financing everything that has been needed for the project. I made the Kick Starter really just looking for extra support from other who see the same potential in this project as i do. This baby is powered by sweat and tears, and goal met or not, the game is intended to be finished and released. But, a few extra hundred could go a long way as far as polish or music, At least that how i see it.

I went and changed the rewards, again new to this. hopefully they make a bit more sense now.  Grin

Publicity isn’t the goal, but i suppose is welcome. Simply put, my goal is to make a great game that you will enjoy playing. This site seemed like a good home, and I’m happy to hear that what I’ve presented has resonated with a few enough that they’d want to play it. I don’t plan on spamming the forum, but i will update it enough so the people interested will know i haven’t given up.

I hope to have more for you soon! Thumbs Up

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

ForbiddenBuddah - 23 October 2018 04:35 PM

But, a few extra hundred could go a long way as far as polish or music, At least that how i see it.

Maybe you could give some cost breakdown?

In the game project I’m involved in, a couple of hundred would just barely cover the costs of the engine, one background image, and one non-animated character.

If that’s the scope of the game, then it’s doable, otherwise I just don’t see how it’s going to work out.

I guess if you use some music library, $200 could get you some 5-10 royalty free MP3’s, but that’s it.

Also, even if you meet the goal, Kickstarter takes its own fees, so what you end up with will be less than $200.

Not to say that small amounts wouldn’t matter, for instance with $200 you could get an Android distribution licence for a Visionaire Studio game, assuming of course that the game and all its assets have been paid by other means already.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I actually think a few hundred dollars is a much more realistic assessment than the many tens or hundreds of thousands that developers ask for.

I mean, you’re basically sitting at a computer writing code - what do you need? Unless you’re spending it all on chips and soda, there’s only one thing you need and that’s time. The fact that a lot of kickstarters have failed and the developers have still managed to get the game done and released is testament that if you want to make a game, the best course of action is to do it instead of waiting and asking for money.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 23 October 2018 06:12 PM

I actually think a few hundred dollars is a much more realistic assessment than the many tens or hundreds of thousands that developers ask for.

I mean, you’re basically sitting at a computer writing code - what do you need? Unless you’re spending it all on chips and soda, there’s only one thing you need and that’s time.

That assuming that you can create all the game assets yourself, which hasn’t really been the case in the industry since the early 80s.

But anyway, here’s a small scale calculation for you, and these are all based on REAL estimates from a REAL (extremely small scale) project planning.

Protagonist with animated movement: min. $2500
10 HD backgrounds: min. 10 x $100
10 non-animated supporting characters: min. 10 x $100
Engine cost: min. $50

TOTAL: $4550

And that number is for listed assets only, assuming that writing, programming, and testing is free, and that magically there will be a way to distribute the game without additional costs.

If there’s going to be any voice-overs, you can 2x the number immediately.

That few hundred might actually buy just that soda, at least imported foreign brands cost $2 per can, so you might get hundred of those, and assuming you drink one per day, you could keep on developing the game for 3 months until you run out of money.  Tongue

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

GateKeeper - 23 October 2018 07:17 PM
Headycakesofdoom - 23 October 2018 06:12 PM

I mean, you’re basically sitting at a computer writing code - what do you need? Unless you’re spending it all on chips and soda, there’s only one thing you need and that’s time.

That assuming that you can create all the game assets yourself, which hasn’t really been the case in the industry since the early 80s.

But anyway, here’s a small scale calculation for you, and these are all based on REAL estimates from a REAL (extremely small scale) project planning.

Protagonist with animated movement: min. $2500
10 HD backgrounds: min. 10 x $100
10 non-animated supporting characters: min. 10 x $100
Engine cost: min. $50

TOTAL: $4550

And that number is for listed assets only, assuming that writing, programming, and testing is free, and that magically there will be a way to distribute the game without additional costs.

If there’s going to be any voice-overs, you can 2x the number immediately.

That few hundred might actually buy just that soda, at least imported foreign brands cost $2 per can, so you might get hundred of those, and assuming you drink one per day, you could keep on developing the game for 3 months until you run out of money.  Tongue

I don’t get it, where is the $2500 figure coming from? I mean when I go to McDonald’s and order a Big Mac I can see where my $4.50 (or whatever) is coming from - the buns, the lettuce tomato and cheese, the meat… but game development isn’t like that. The product is not material, it’s a service rather than goods.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Here’s a game that did pretty well on a $150 Kickstarter.

FB, looks like a cute little project, but can you share more about the actual gameplay here? I’m not clear on what exactly is involved. Is this essentially a sim-style game; a type of dialogue-driven, choose-your-own-adventure; or are there puzzles to solve and other traditional adventure-related tasks?

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 23 October 2018 08:20 PM

I don’t get it, where is the $2500 figure coming from? I mean when I go to McDonald’s and order a Big Mac I can see where my $4.50 (or whatever) is coming from - the buns, the lettuce tomato and cheese, the meat… but game development isn’t like that. The product is not material, it’s a service rather than goods.

The true costs of the hamburger are a dollar or less.
The rest of the price consists of paying licensing fees for the brand, rent, electricity, and running costs of the restaurant, some taxes, and of course a profit margin.

And I assume that the person preparing the hamburger, as well as the person selling it, get some kind of salaries, so there’s the payment for services involved too.

I don’t get at all how something that doesn’t have a physical form wouldn’t have a price tag. Do you honestly think that people are developing games just for fun? Should all Telltale people go back finishing whatever they were doing? They didn’t lose anything physical after all?

Jackal - 23 October 2018 10:16 PM

Here’s a game that did pretty well on a $150 Kickstarter.

“This game is being funded entirely out of my own pocket. The risk is completely worth it to me because of my passion for this game. However, I’m just a regular guy with a wife, two kids, and an 8 to 5 job. My time and financial obligations outside of working on the game are substantial, so keeping this project funded is no easy task!”

“We’re currently in a big push to finish a substantial portion of the game in time for submission to the Independent Games Festival so, the first immediate need for additional funds is to foot the small entry fee and help me pay for the ratcheted-up work schedule so we can meet the deadline!
So that’s the small $150 goal of this page.”

It was a realistic goal, as none of that actually paid for the actual development costs of the game…

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

The base goal wasn’t, but it clearly says anything above and beyond that would help offset the cost of development.

It’s a perfectly valid question to ask how less than $200 will actually help finance a game. But obviously this is a small team working for free, just as Vince Twelve’s team was, and it seems likely the Kickstarter is really just for a bit of pocket money to help them get to the finish line. I see nothing to indicate that they’re attempting to outsource to paid professionals.

Joined 2018-10-23

PM

Jackal - 23 October 2018 10:16 PM

FB, looks like a cute little project, but can you share more about the actual gameplay here? I’m not clear on what exactly is involved. Is this essentially a sim-style game; a type of dialogue-driven, choose-your-own-adventure; or are there puzzles to solve and other traditional adventure-related tasks?

It would be fair to say that the game is sort of a choose-your-own-adventure, but i wouldn’t say its dialogue driven, but more so action driven. How you decide to handle each encounter and or event, essentially will mold your play through delivering a strong narrative and a personal experience tailored by the player.

Gatekeeper, Our team has created all the assets for the project from scratch, from the art, code, to the music. I understand where you are coming from, but honestly our project doesn’t require that many extra resources. But still, any contribution that doesn’t need to come from our pocket can greatly help us improve the project we currently have. From being able to get distribution on steam to google play, or being able to hire someone a bit more professional to polish art assets or creating a few extra tunes. Even if you just donated 2 dollars, id use it to buy a coffee and with it stay up all night to work on the project. Our funding wasn’t so much for the cost of development, but to help provide an extra “umph” for a project, from backers who could see the same potential we could. We can only do so much on our own….. However 100 cans of soda doesnt sound too bad Wink

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I see you are over your goal. But I just pledged to get you a little further. (That delivery from Starbucks that gets you through the night.)

This seems like a worthwhile project. Minimal cost with maximum reward. And if, for some reason, it falls off the cliff, you wont be left kicking and screaming about a massive investment in a game that never appeared.

Good luck to you.

I hope to download the results of your project somewhere down the road.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-10-23

PM

rtrooney thank you for the Starbucks my friend! If you’re a backer then you should be able to see the updates being posted, a solid indicator we haven’t disappeared. Don’t worry, we will have that game in your hand as soon as possible (Said every game dev. ever) Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top