• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is left? 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ttg is gone, Daedalic had changed direction, the Germans developers we all have enjoyed the last decade or so and thought like what Tim Schafer had said “Adventures are in Germany” and that they are here to Carry on LucasArts and Sierra’s directions and legacy, actually nothing left of them, but Kings Art maybe , whom they are far from the amount or the rate they used to deliver yearly, i think we only can hope if they would at least deliver one adventure each 3-4 years. Pendulo’s went under Microids umbrella and sadly they are not what they used to be, because Microids had lost the sense of adventure gaming a while ago.

I know we have new devs and indies trying to fill in, but most of them either have one adventure only in their CVs or have just yet started, the idea of them being there for a while into and for the next era, to carry on and fill the gap(s) is quite doubtful, from what i see/saw.

The Kickstarter projects become of very little indie devs with games that would hardly add anything noticeable or effective to the genre, that if anyone care as they used to for these kickstarters in the first place.

So where we go from here. and what is awaiting us?

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Those developers haven’t delivered anything in the realm of “proper” adventure gaming in years and yet the last couple of years have been the best years in a decade or more.

Lots of little indies are more than filling the gap.  That’s actually more sustainable than many games being produced by a few large developers. 

This appears to be true for a variety of adventure gamer-tastes so I’m interested to see other perspectives in this thread.

At least in my case, long may it continue! Smile

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

dumbeur - 06 October 2018 11:04 AM

Those developers haven’t delivered anything in the realm of “proper” adventure gaming in years and yet the last couple of years have been the best years in a decade or more.

Deponia Doomsday??

dumbeur - 06 October 2018 11:04 AM

Lots of little indies are more than filling the gap.  That’s actually more sustainable than many games being produced by a few large developers. 

This appears to be true for a variety of adventure gamer-tastes so I’m interested to see other perspectives in this thread.

Indeed, there’s probably a new AGS game available every week.

But it is also true that Telltale and Daedalic have been iconic companies for this era for a while, some others like Pendulo too, although to a lesser extent.
If those companies are no longer producing games, the entire picture of the next adventure decade will look very different.

Maybe it’s all indies and one-man companies. Not a bad future necessarily.
But in case we want to see anything more than that, something bigger scale, things are looking kind of bad right now.  Meh

Regarding Germany and all that, I’m sure there will be lots of things coming exactly from Germany. Whether it’s good or bad, it’s from Germany where the new Leisure Suit Larry game is coming from, and almost without warning so it took most of adventure community by surprise. They have also some wonderfully looking new kind of games coming, like Trüberbrook, and also more traditional stuff like A Little Less Desperation.

I am also sure that Revolution Software will produce something some time in the future. Whether it’s Broken Sword 6, Beneath a Steel Sky 2, or something completely new remains to be seen.

Still, I would like to see some bigger studio around, dedicated to adventure games, and producing new games at least one title every 1-2 years.

If all else fails, there’s so much games that we haven’t played from the past decades, that even if there’s no new games being made, there’s new gaming experiences to be had still. Seriously, how many of you have played each and every adventure game that Sierra ever did? I sure haven’t…  Laughing

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I think the adventure genre is still really healthy. We have lots of one game wonder developers but also lots of active developers, who has track record for more than one adventure game. Here are some active ones with more than one game in their pocket:

Amanita Design 2003 –
2003 Samorost
2005 Samorost 2
2009 Machinarium  
2012 Botanicula
2016 Samorost 3  
2018 Chuchel

Big Finish Games / Chaotic Fusion
2014 Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect  
2019? Tex Murphy: The Poisoned Pawn

The Brotherhood (2014 -
2015 S.T.A.S.I.S  
2017 Cayne – S.T.A.S.I.S Game
2019 The Beautiful Desolation

Campo Santo Productions LLC (2013 -
2016 Firewatch
2019 In the Valley of Gods

CBE Software (2006 –
2007 Ghost in the Sheet
2012 J.U.L.I.A
2014 J.U.L.I.A -  Among the Stars
2019? Someday You`ll Return

Clifftop Games (2016 –
2016 Kathy Rain  
2018 Whispers of a Machine

Cyan Worlds Inc. 1987 –
1993 Myst  
1997 Riven  
2000 realMyst
2005 Myst V: End of Ages  
2014 realMyst Masterpiece Edition
2016 Obduction  
2020 Firmament

DONTNOD Entertainment 2008 –
2015 Life is Strange  
2018 Life is Strange 2

Double Fine Productions 2000 –
2011 Stacking
2013 The Cave  
2015 Broken Age  
2015 Grim Fandango Remastered
2016 Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle Special Edition
2017 Full Throttle Remastered
2019 Psychonauts 2
Probably some more adventures coming at some point..

Fictiorama Studios 2014 –
2015 Dead Sychronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today
2019? Dead Synchronicity: The Underground Highways

Frogwares 2000 -
2003 Journey to the Center of the Earth
2004 Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earrings
2006 Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
2007 Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis (versus Arsene Lupin)
2008 Dracula: Origins
2009 Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper
2012 The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
2014 Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
2016 Sherlock Holmes: The Devil`s Daughter
2018 The Sinking Island

Fullbright 2012 -
2013 Gone Home
2017 Tacoma

KING Art Games 2000 –
2011 The Book of Unwritten Tales  
2012 The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
2013 The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief
2015 The Book of Unwritten Tales 2  
2017 Black Mirror

OhNoo Studios (2013 –
2015 Tormentum: Dark Sorrow
2018 Tsioque

Pendulo Studios (1994 -
1994 Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
1997 Hollywood Monsters
2003 Runaway: A Road Adventure  
2006 Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle
2009 Runaway 3: A Twist of Fate  
2011 The Next BIG Thing
2012 Yesterday
2016 Yesterday: Origins
2018 Blacsad

Revolution Software 1990 -
1992 Lure of the Temptress  
1994 Beneath a Steel Sky  
1996 Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
1997 Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror
2001 In Cold Blood  
2003 Broken Sword III: The Sleeping Dragon
2006 Broken Sword IV: The Angel of Death
2009 Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director`s Cut
2009 Beneath a Steel Sky Remastered
2010 Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror Remastered
2014 Broken Sword V: The Serpent`s Curse
2019? New Adventure Game

Senscape 2006 -
2006 Scratches
2019? Asylum

Wadjet Eye Games 2006
2006 Shivah
2006 The Blackwell Legacy  
2007 The Blackwell Unbound  
2009 The Blackwell Convergence  
2011 The Blackwell Deception    
2014 The Blackwell Epiphany  
2016 Shardlight
2018 Unavowed
2020 Nighthawks RPG

Wormwood Studios 2010 –
2012 Primordia  
2013 Salt
2013 Beacon
2019 Strangeland

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

GateKeeper - 06 October 2018 12:34 PM

Deponia Doomsday??

Good point though I don’t think one game really changes the argument I was making.

As you said, the landscape is changing (as it always does) but big studios are also no longer needed to produce big games.  Better middleware (some singer in her day) has allowed smaller studios to produce greater games and as Ahenobarbus has pointed out there are still plenty of bigger studios out there.

My concern would be when the generations that grew up on classic point and click games are no longer of development age in the indie sector.  But we’ve a few years to go before that happens. Wink

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Somehow I’m glad I didn’t pay much attention to the gaming news during the 1990s. Otherwise I would’ve probably been very upset every time I heard that the company behind Gabriel Knight, or Gobliiins, or Tex Murphy, or Callahan’s, or Kyrandia shut down its doors. Now those were BIG names, and I can only imagine what the fans of the genre felt at the time. I was simply enjoying whatever game I found in my local store and didn’t think about the fate of the genre up until 2005 or something, when all those German and indie companies started appearing one by one with new projects and ideas. And if THEY managed to replace Sierra and LucasArts for people, I guess there will be no problem to replace Daedalic and Telltale at one point. And in any case we always have Revolution around. Cecil will think of something, I’m sure.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Charles Cecil is immortal beast Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ahenobarbus, arent you kinda missing the point? bringing what is done with what is left, together.
i guess 99% of what you have mentioned is outta of the subject, or what do you think ma friend?

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I might miss the point, but I was just listing still active development studios with more than one adventure on their CV and showing that some of them have survived really long time developing adventure games. My intention was only to show that the genre will survive without TTG or Daedalic Smile It`s really shame what happened to TTG and I hope we`ll see more decent adventures from the Daedalic in the future but the whole genre is much more bigger than some few flagship studios Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ah, ok.
those really have stood the test of time, therefore, they might stand for time longer (and more).
its not easy to be developing adventure gaming for half a decade, they are real beeeeaaasts!! as you have mentioned Smile

edit:oh, i looked at this post and suddenly i was wondering what the heck did i mean saying half-a-decade 1/f and remembered that i was thinking of 1/4 of a century, but what i was thinking of and what i typed seemed to be total 2 different matters. Wink

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I think if you look at the genre at this point in time and you don’t see a problem, then you must be in denial.

Ahenobarbus, you mentioned Campo Santo. That company was bought by Valve and we have no idea what the future holds for their next project, which they announced before the purchase. King Art is building a strategy game now. Doublefine nowhere said they were doing another adventure. Silence of Daedalic didn’t light the world on fire in terms of sales, and I don’t know how well State of Mind is selling, but it rarely got a mention in general media. Tacoma according to the developer did not perform as well as Gone Home. The kickstarter craze has died down. Is the genre completely dead? No there will always be some person out there who makes an adventure game. But it is definitely in a much worse shape then a few years back.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2018-04-04

PM

If there’s a problem with the adventure game genre right now, it’s that the market is SATURATED. There are more adventure game developers than there are adventure game players.

There were three HUGE adventure game releases this year alone (Unforeseen Incidents, Unavowed, Lamplight City) and many many smaller ones. There are tons of people still making great adventure games: Infamous Quests, CaptainD, Wadjet Eye, Grundislav Games, Charlotte Gore, Phil Fortier, SilverSpook, and many many others.

I released two adventure games this year myself and am struggling for sales because the market just isn’t there. There are too many people making adventure games, and too few people buying them.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

hightreason - 08 October 2018 01:14 AM

There were three HUGE adventure game releases this year alone (Unforeseen Incidents, Unavowed, Lamplight City)

Strange choice for “huge” when we had Chuchel, Life is Strange, Pillars of the Earth, The Council… although Unavowed belongs there for sure.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

If there’s a problem with the adventure game genre right now, it’s that the market is SATURATED. There are more adventure game developers than there are adventure game players.

Laughing
That’s certainly an opinion that I have never heard before!

There were three HUGE adventure game releases this year alone (Unforeseen Incidents, Unavowed, Lamplight City) and many many smaller ones. There are tons of people still making great adventure games: Infamous Quests, CaptainD, Wadjet Eye, Grundislav Games, Charlotte Gore, Phil Fortier, SilverSpook, and many many others.

I’m sorry, but none of the games you mentioned is nowhere near “huge”. I’m not saying they are bad games, they can be excellent, but none of them is huge. If the genre has fallen into a situation where a couple of guys doing something with AGS is huge, then Houston, we have a very serious problem right there.

Also “tons of people” is not really true. What you have mentioned is basically a collection of one guy companies that make games. Thanks to technology, one person can do what took an entire team 30 years ago, but if any of the games wants to be even a step nearer to mainstream, you need to have more than that. And that’s exactly what Telltale had, although they never fully took advantage of their resources.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2018-04-04

PM

As of its closing, Telltale hadn’t made an adventure game in about seven years. They had switched entirely to an interactive visual novel studio, so you can’t say Telltale was keeping adventure games alive.

And yes, I did miss a few big ones as well, that’s true, but that just goes to prove my point even further. There are more good adventure games coming out than people buying adventure games.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

GateKeeper - 08 October 2018 02:42 AM

I’m sorry, but none of the games you mentioned is nowhere near “huge”. I’m not saying they are bad games, they can be excellent, but none of them is huge. If the genre has fallen into a situation where a couple of guys doing something with AGS is huge, then Houston, we have a very serious problem right there.

Also “tons of people” is not really true. What you have mentioned is basically a collection of one guy companies that make games. Thanks to technology, one person can do what took an entire team 30 years ago, but if any of the games wants to be even a step nearer to mainstream, you need to have more than that. And that’s exactly what Telltale had, although they never fully took advantage of their resources.

Is our goal to get more “huge” adventure games or get more “good” ones? Because most of these “one guy companies” have been making better games than Telltale for years.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top