• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Are Telltale’s games overpriced?

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2012-12-24

PM

Jatsie - 28 December 2012 08:25 PM
Lucien21 - 28 December 2012 12:47 PM

I’ve bought every Telltale game at launch and never regretted the price paid.

Even Bone? lol

Bone is the only Telltale game I’ve actually paid for, and it rather soured my desire to part with money for anything else, though I did find it to be one of their more enjoyable works despite its brevity.

I haven’t played it but have been thinking about playing it.  If you don’t mind me asking what made it unenjoyable?

Recently played: Heavy Rain, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.
Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Last Spector, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, Portal 2.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Kurufinwe - 28 December 2012 03:06 PM

I don’t get why prices should get slashed like crazy just because a game is over a year old.

Simple, because it gets more sales. Like I said before, Telltale may price a series at $30, but it goes on sale so often, that the “actual price” is more like $10 or less. Even Walking Dead which is a very recent release is 50% off on various sales.

This is not just for Telltale. Even AAA titles like Skyrim was 33% off on the steam sale last year when it had been released for only a month. The launch price is only for the ones who really want to play a game immediately.

I remember reading somewhere that Steam’s statistics say that most PC buyers purchase games at the $5 to $15 range, going up to $25 to $30 for AAA titles like Skyrim, Borderlands 2 etc.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I think the prices are fair. Especially for The Walking Dead. I got it when it was on sale but after playing it and realizing how great it is, I would gladly have paid 50 bucks for it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 28 December 2012 06:43 PM

I do question TimovieMan’s pricing scenario when he compares games to DVDs. At least that’s not what you normally see in the US. When a hot DVD is released, e.g. Dark Knight Rises, it will come in at a fairly low price. That builds momentum for the product, which gets it on the Billboard charts etc. Then, after about three weeks, the price goes up to its “suggested retail price” and the price stays there until sales reach a certain level. At which time the price will start to slowly drop until you find it in the bargain bin.

That’s not what happens here.
When a DVD is brand new (especially big titles), it’ll be 20-30$. Then after 6 months (when the movie starts to air on pay television channels) that’s down to 10-15$. And another 6 months later (when it’s starting to get close to a regular TV airing), it’ll drop to 5$ or so.

As an aside: I can get why adventure games should “retain their value” for a LOT longer than most other games (they age a lot better), but asking the same price for a 7-year old game as you do for a brand new one, that just feels wrong to me…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Telltale’s games are on sale at GOG today, various series selling for $6-$7 for the complete season.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

LinkTheHero64 - 28 December 2012 08:31 PM
Jatsie - 28 December 2012 08:25 PM
Lucien21 - 28 December 2012 12:47 PM

I’ve bought every Telltale game at launch and never regretted the price paid.

Even Bone? lol

Bone is the only Telltale game I’ve actually paid for, and it rather soured my desire to part with money for anything else, though I did find it to be one of their more enjoyable works despite its brevity.

I haven’t played it but have been thinking about playing it.  If you don’t mind me asking what made it unenjoyable?

The first Bone game launched at $19.99 (to be in line with what casual games in portals were selling for at the time) and it was pretty short. The price dropped very soon after and they’ve never made the mistake of selling any single episode for such a high price since.

The games themselves are kind of primitive compared to what Telltale’s doing now, but they are charming and fun adventures, especially if you like the Bone books. And it’s neat to look back at the first outing from a studio that’s gone on to create so much.

You can get both Bone games in a bundle for $14.99 from their site (and cheaper elsewhere - like on Steam where the bundle is $5 through Friday) and they’re charming games. I’m very fond of The Great Cow Race.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top