• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which games will you play in 2013?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

On my 2013 menu, the games I’m looking forward to the most are the kickstarters I supported: DoubleFine Adventure, SpaceVenture, Larry Reloaded, Hero-U, Moebius and Broken Sword 5.

Also looking forward to playing Fester Mudd: The Curse of the Gold, Haunted, Deponia 3, Mystery of the Wicked Village, The Inner World, The rest of A Journey Down (assuming that we’ll see it in 2013) The Rabbits Apprentice, 1954 Alcatraz, Freak Files, Jack Keane 2, Nando’s World, Heaven’s hope, The Cave, Quest for Infamy, Beyond, Lilly Looking Through, Reincarnation: The Root of All Evil, Kinky Island, and The Raven. EDIT: and Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon Smile

I recently bought Lost Horizon, Gray Matter, Testament of Sherlock Holmes, Primordia, Simon 4-5 and The Lost Chronicles of Zerzura which I will be diving into within the next couple months.

Then I have the last 2 episodes of Hector to finish, aswell as Kaptain Brawe (got the german voiced version from Amazon.de, and installed the English text patch), The Sam and Max games from Telltale (got the first 2 seasons, but abandonded them in the middle of the first), the last 3 Blackwell games, Kings Quest 7, Cognition, the last 2 episodes of Back to the Future, Gemini Rue, Bud Tucker in Double Trouble, Edna and Harvey’s games, 3 Skulls of the Toltecs, Ace Ventura (got stuck at that board puzzle near the end, and never finished) and Flight of the Amazon Queen (yes, I’ve yet to actually finish that one).

Replay’s next in line: Grim Fandango, Simon 1&2, Runaway 1&2, Freddy Pharkas, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, a Vampyre Story, The Loungest Journey, Discworld 1&2, Kings Quest 6 and Touche - Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer.

This may look like a tall order to complete in one year, but considering the unhealthy amount of time I actually spend playing adventure games, I think it’s within reason Smile By the look of it, I’m gonna be out of work (due to injuries) for a large part of 2013, so I will have a lot of time on my hands anyway (in fact, looking at the list of games I actually finished in 2012, these might not be enough to last me the year Confused ).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

This is the first year since AdventureGamers started where I actually am anticipating every game that’s listed on the website’s Hype-O-Meter.

Of course Beyond: Two Souls also has my attention because of the infectious Ellen Page.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Fien - 28 December 2012 12:24 AM

Oh, what’s on the menu? Yum

I haven’t played Shannara and The Companions of Xanth yet. And I once started Death Gate but something came up and I want to finish it.

It’s a fairly questionable game, but I loooooove Companions of Xanth. I’ve played it at least three times. Some puzzles are duds, others pure genius. Lovely characters and settings, and just overall really satisfying. Let us know what you think!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Companions of Xanth looks beautiful… though I’ve never been a fan of first person view regardless of game genre. I’m beginning to soften up now that I’m getting older though, but I still think I’d have to run out of 3rd person adventures before crossing into 1st person territory Confused (please don’t hate me those of you who are passionate about these games, I may come around some day Smile ).

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Dag - 28 December 2012 07:11 AM

(please don’t hate me those of you who are passionate about these games, I may come around some day Smile ).

Here, let me help you: Pan

No, seriously: if there’s one company that could convert you into a fan of first-person games, that’s Legend Entertainment.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

Agustín Cordes - 28 December 2012 07:22 AM

No, seriously: if there’s one company that could convert you into a fan of first-person games, that’s Legend Entertainment.

I can confirm that!  Laughing 

After I played Mission Critical and Death Gate, I slowly switched also for “Myst-likes” as Obsidian, Darkness Within or The Journeyman Project. And it was, in my opinion, wise choice, because there are really good first-person adventures.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Companions of Xanth looks beautiful…

someone with a username like that hasn’t played Companions of Xanth? I’m disappoint. Grin True, the protagonist’s name is Dug, but the game is a pun-fest anyway.  Sarcastic

but I still think I’d have to run out of 3rd person adventures before crossing into 1st person territory Confused

Or, you could be stepping into the middle ground with atypical 1st-persons that involve plenty of characters, dialogs, inventory… (actually, most of Legend games, Carol Reed and Journeyman Project series to an extent…) and vice-versa - games like Keepsake which are 3rd-person games featuring solitary explorations and plenty of logic puzzles.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yes let’s ease the poor guy into 1st-person adventures! Have you played The Neverhood, Dag? If you have and didn’t notice it’s a mix of 1st and 3rd person, then you’re ready for the next step: one of the many wonderful Legend games. Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon would be perfect because there’s nothing Mystlike about it. The hero has a name and a face, you can see his portrait when he’s talking (like in GK1) and the game is filled to the brim with interesting characters.  And maybe, just maybe, one day you’ll enjoy a great classic like The Last Express…  Heart Eyes

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Drolin - 28 December 2012 03:36 AM

Can I ask what do you think about Timequest, is it good as most fans of Legend says?

YES! I simply love Timequest.

And about IF adventures, I could recommend The Ebb and Flow of the Tide, heard that Photopia is also really good and from Infocom I think Moonmist is interesting (some say its not good, but after all, it is in Cornwall Smile).

Thanks! I have played Photopia more than once. If you haven’t played it, please do. It’s only one hour of your time and you won’t regret it. An interactive story, no puzzles. But what a story…

I played Moonmist many years ago and found it disappointing. Not up to the usual Infocom standard, IMO. Have not heard of The Ebb and Flow of the Tide and will check it out.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I hope to have enough spare time to finally play The Five Cores and Kairo. I’m looking forward to ASA a Space Adventure, Project Fedora, and Rhem 5.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Thanks guys, for making an effort to help me expand my adventurabulary Smile

Agustín Cordes - 28 December 2012 07:22 AM

If there’s one company that could convert you into a fan of first-person games, that’s Legend Entertainment.

I’ll take a look at their catalogue and some gameplayvids.

diego - 28 December 2012 07:33 AM

someone with a username like that hasn’t played Companions of Xanth? I’m disappoint. Grin True, the protagonist’s name is Dug, but the game is a pun-fest anyway.  Sarcastic

lol ;D

I’m pretty sure I tried Keepsake at one point, the name sounds very familiar (as I recall, it didn’t appeal to me at the time), but I haven’t tried any of the others you mentioned. I’ll take a look.

Fien - 28 December 2012 07:42 AM

Yes let’s ease the poor guy into 1st-person adventures! Have you played The Neverhood, Dag? If you have and didn’t notice it’s a mix of 1st and 3rd person, then you’re ready for the next step: one of the many wonderful Legend games. Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon would be perfect because there’s nothing Mystlike about it. The hero has a name and a face, you can see his portrait when he’s talking (like in GK1) and the game is filled to the brim with interesting characters.  And maybe, just maybe, one day you’ll enjoy a great classic like The Last Express…  Heart Eyes

Yeah, I played The Neverhood (I didn’t complete it though) a long time ago, and if I noticed the mix of 1st and 3d person then, I don’t remember it now. I remember it as 3rd person, but my memory of that game is quite fuzzy. I do remember liking it though, so I don’t know why I never finished it. I suppose I’ll have to give it another go, if I can secure a copy, I’ve no idea where the old one went.

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon is made by Josh Mandel, isn’t it? That’s a game I’ve been thinking about checking out for some time now. I didn’t know it was 1st person though… maybe that’d be the natural place for me to begin my 1st person career? Smile I love Josh’s humour, and comedy/cartoon adventures are my bread and butter! (Not really, I’m usually hungry for weeks after spending my food-budget on adventure games Confused ).

I’ve read a LOT of good things about The Last Express, but my aversion for the 1st person view has commanded me to steer clear of it through the years. Lately, however, I’ve had some pretty good gaming experiences from games that my preferences would normally prevent me from even giving a chance, and I’m slowly beginning to realize that my attitude has been really stupid, and has only served to make me miss out. Maybe there is hope for me yet? Smile

I do remember playing a first person adventure that I liked ages ago, on the amiga. You play this guy who wakes up with a complete memory loss in the first floor of an empty building, and has to figure out who, and where he is, and I think there were some people or organization chasing him (or maybe I’m remembering it entirely incorrectly). I didn’t get very far in this game, so it would be nice to give it another stab now, if anyone have any idea what game I might be talking about? I played this about the same time as The Secret of Monkey Island, so its probably from around 1990.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Dag - 28 December 2012 10:13 AM

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon is made by Josh Mandel, isn’t it? That’s a game I’ve been thinking about checking out for some time now. I didn’t know it was 1st person though… maybe that’d be the natural place for me to begin my 1st person career? Smile I love Josh’s humour, and comedy/cartoon adventures are my bread and butter!

Thumbs Up

Okay guys, our work here is done.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Dag - 28 December 2012 10:13 AM

I do remember playing a first person adventure that I liked ages ago, on the amiga. You play this guy who wakes up with a complete memory loss, and has to figure out who he is, and I think there were some people or organization chasing him (or maybe I’m remembering it entirely incorrectly). I didn’t get very far in this game, so it would be nice to give it another stab now, if anyone have any idea what game I might be talking about?

Woah… I’m having a case of… Déjà Vu.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dj-vu-a-nightmare-comes-true

And of course, when you feel brave enough, you can play a little horror game called Scratches which fans of first person perspective disliked because it played like a third person adventure.

(seriously!)

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

lol, yes, Déjà Vu is the one! I don’t know about Scratches, that would be a big leap into several territories I’m currently wary of. For some reason, I love horror movies (not the modern ones, but the old good ones) but I’ve never wanted to play horror. I think the only horror game I ever played all the way through was the first F.E.A.R. (I don’t count TWD as horror) I tried the second, but didn’t like it, because it wasn’t as scary as the first one. . . Hmmm.. saying that makes me consider that there probably isn’t any reason why I shouldn’t like horror games either… Dammit guys, I don’t have time for all these awakenings! I allready got heaps of games to do in 2013 Tongue

I’ll definitely put Callahans Crosstime Saloon on my “to do-list” for 2013, and something just made me more open to considering games from the horror genre…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

In 2013 I’ll be mostly just working through my classics backlog (infused with some replays).
The only new game that’ll be bumped to the front of the list on the moment of its release is STASIS.

Planned DS games:
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (replay)
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All (replay)
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (replay)
- Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (replay)
- Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations (replay)
- 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (replay)

If I should buy a 3DS this year (still not a certainty):
- Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward
- Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
- Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney

Adventure classics (the order appears a bit scrambled because I insert other games between games from the same series):
- King’s Quest VII: The Princeless Bride (partial replay)
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
- Tex Murphy: Mean Streets
- The Last Express
- Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
- Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum
- Post Mortem
- Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
- Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon
- Still Life
- Zork: Nemesis (partial replay)
- Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
- Still Life 2
- Zork: Grand Inquisitor
- Tex Murphy: Overseer
- Syberia
- Lure of the Temptress
- The Walking Dead
- Syberia II
- Beneath a Steel Sky
- Samorost
- Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (replay)
- The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel
- Machinarium
- Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror (replay)
- The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel
- Samorost 2
- Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon
- The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo
- Botanicula
- Simon the Sorcerer (replay)
- Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring
- Wallace and Gromit’s Grand Adventures
- Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe (replay)
- Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
- Discworld (replay)
- Simon the Sorcerer 3D (partial replay)
- Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis / Sherlock Holmes versus Arsène Lupin
- Discworld II
- Simon the Sorcerer 4
- Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper
- Sam & Max Season One
- Simon the Sorcerer 5: Who’d Even Want Contact?
- The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
- Sam & Max Season Two
- Blade Runner
- Amerzone
- Sam & Max Season Three
- Sanitarium
- Shadow of Memories / Shadow of Destiny
- I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
- Bad Mojo
- Beavis & Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity
- Toonstruck
- Duckman: Legend of the Fall
- Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
- Portal
- A Vampyre Story
- Stacking
- Portal 2
- The Book of Unwritten Tales

This may seem like a lot of games, but this is just (less than half of) my current list. I plan on working my way through all of these titles. That will probably definitely be impossible for 2013, so I’ll just see where I finish…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top