• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

My 2012, adventurewise :)

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lack of funds due to unemployment meant that the start of the year was completely replays. Most need no comment.

Tex Murphy: UAKM/PD/Overseer

The Longest Journey

Syberia 1 & 2

Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2

Broken Sword 1 & 2

Secret of Monkey Island

Le Chuck’s Revenge

Curse of Monkey Island

Innocent Until Caught 2: Guilty: One of the first adventure games I ever bought and thought it amazing that I could play it twice - once as each main character.

Discworld Noir: Unfortunatley I replayed this about 3 weeks before the community playthrough Frown

Noctropolis: An old and very underrated game except the ending is truly pants.

Then I got some money (and sales definitely helped). In no particular order of playing:

Sam & Max: Season 2 (Save The World): Enjoyable 3.5/5

Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space On a par with the rest 3.5/5

J.U.L.I.A.: Interesting, reasonable artwork, some obvious puzzle concepts 3/5

Anna’s Quest Vol 1: Really enjoyed this and even found Ted’s voice acceptable on my second playthrough 4/5

Cosmos Quest 4: Free game that I discovered through the Freeware updates here. Unlike Space Quest, which I could never stand, I found this ok. 3/5

Deponia: First part dreary but picked up when the colour palette wasn’t so overwhelming 3.5/5

Still Life: Apart from that damn robot/laser puzzle really enjoyed this. 4/5

Edna & Harvey: Breakout: Interesting story line, well written, great characters. 4.5/5

Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes: Not as strong as the first but Lily’s character carried the story marvelously 4/5

A Vampyre Story: Was given this a short while ago and thought it excellent. Just finished it (literally) and thought “Ok, where’s chapter 2?”  Frown 4/5

I also played 2 HOG games - both of the Rita James’ from Big Finish Games as part of my rewards for Project Fedora. The first was fine, fairly interesting and reasonably humerous 3/5. The second was better (they obviously learned from feedback for the first) 3.5/5

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

It’s been a great year of Adventure for me. Like many others my rediscovery of AG genre has made me even more passionate about it. I have done a combination of replays and new games this year.

Primordia
Lost Chronicles of Zerzura
Ben Jordan (all 8 games/episodes)
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller - Episode 1: Hangman
Gemini Rue
The Whispered World
All of the Blackwell games
Resonance
A New Beginning
Gabriel Knight 1 and 2 (Replay)
Back to the Future (all episodes)
Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon
The Next Big Thing
Runaway: A Twist of Fate
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Secret Files 2
Lost Horizon
Yesterday
Broken Sword 1 and 3 (Replay)
Black Mirror 2 and 3
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon (Replay)
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive (Replay)
Yoomurjak’s Ring

Non Adventure Games

Skyrim (100 hours plus)
Uncharted 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Metal Gear Solid * 3 (HD Collection)

Wow, 35 plus games this year. Can’t believe that I have managed that considering that I have a full time job, spend over 10 hours in the water surfing every week, and do other stuff in the week. Smile What can I say, Adventure Games have become an addiction. Smile

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

2012 Adventures
AGON 4 Lost Sword of Toledo - July 21 – Aug
Botanicula
Yoomurjak’s Ring – Aug 4 – 6
Corrosion Cold Winter Waiting – Aug. 11 – Aug. 18
1953 KGB Unleashed – Sept. 9 – 22
Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsene Lupin

The other games I played were all casuals. The one’s with an asterix I enjoyed.
*Pahelika Revelations
Phantasmat (liked the match 3)
Shiver Poltergeist
*Eternal Night Realm of Souls
*Enigmatis Ghost of Maple Creek – lots back tracking, but many scenes.
*Surface Mystery of Another World
*3 Days Amulet Secret
Spirits of Mystery Song of the Phoenix
*Royal Detective Lord of Shadows
Final Cut Death on the Silver Screen
*Eternal Journey New Atlantis
Grim Tales The Wishes CE
*Theater of Shadows As You Wish
Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus
*Alchemy Mysteries Prague Legends
*Agency of Anomalies the Last Performance CE
1000 Doors the Palm of Zoroaster
Agent of Anomalies Mystic Hospital
Dark Parables Red Riding Sisters

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

@Tim

I agree that EfMI isn’t a terrible game, in fact (puzzle, humour and storywise) I quite liked it. But that’s also pretty much exactly what frustrates me so much about it. If it wasn’t for it’s horrid presentation, it could easily (imo) have been just as great as the rest of the best from the Lucas-catalogue. If the game had just been plain bad, I’d simply discard it (after recovering from the grief that my favourite game series had gone monkeypoo), and think no more of it (like Simon 3D). Knowing that the company had some of the most talented visual artists in the world at hand, makes it all the more incomprehensible what they settled with in the end.

Roberta Williams said:

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.

Now, if this was the definition of an adventure game, one could argue that EfMI isn’t one, as it’s completely lacking in visual beauty Tongue

It just makes me so sad to look at the game’s concept art, because it really was beautiful… what possessed them to change that beauty into the plastic muppets found in the final product is beyond me. If there’s any Lucasarts adventure that begs for a proper 2D HD remake, EfMI is it.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Dag - 29 December 2012 10:41 AM

Roberta Williams said:

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.

Does that mean that Roberta Williams considers that she has never made an adventure game in her entire career?  Naughty

</off-topic>

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I just figured her perception of beauty was somewhat distorted, but yeah, I raised an eyebrow aswell when I heard that coming from her Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

@Kuru
its strange how you fill your Adventure Scene with Mrs.Williams Adventures and then you would say something like that

i know its sorta of an evil joke but still not very appropriate Tongue.

P.S:iIf you will reply to this Kuru please know that i am not attacking , i am just wondering .

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Dag - 29 December 2012 10:41 AM

Roberta Williams said:

Now, if this was the definition of an adventure game, one could argue that EfMI isn’t one, as it’s completely lacking in visual beauty Tongue

Way to steal my sig quote Smile

Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Dag - 29 December 2012 12:20 PM

I just figured her perception of beauty was somewhat distorted, but yeah, I raised an eyebrow aswell when I heard that coming from her Tongue

It’s not so much “beauty” (KQ5 was, and still is, gorgeous) as, well, everything else in that quote that I object to. Tongue

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

That’s why she put the “and looks and sounds beautiful” at the end - adventure game can be great without it, but it won’t hurt if it looks and sounds beautiful. Tongue But I find her games pushing the technical boundaries rather that being “beautiful”. King’s Quest 7 is one of the most influential adventures - it was Sierra’s first SVGA game, it introduced smart cursor…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-07-24

PM

It seems I didn’t play nearly as many adventures as I’d thought this year:

Broken Sword II-Hugely disappointing. Sloppy story telling and very elementary puzzle solving; it seemed like almost every item was used on the same screen or the very next one to which it was found. The two character element could have been great but wasn’t well implemented well thus it just came across like a gimmick.

Gabriel Knight-Brilliant. Outstanding story, depth, impressively researched. My only complaint was that a couple of puzzles were clearly designed to get you to call the Sierra help line.

Gabriel Knight 2-A very mixed bag. Erickson was awful as Gabriel, awkward and completely unsure of himself; this was NOT the Gabriel from the first game. Joanne Takahashi and the brilliant story connecting to Ludwig and Wagner were the only reason I was interested enough to finish this sloppy mess of a game.

Last Express-Great setting, characters, dialog, music. I would love to see an updated version in which the characters were full animated at all times. When the conductor walks down the hallways, for example, the full animation is beautiful; the transition back to 3 frame animations (ie diners in the dining cart) is a bit jarring by contrast. Still a must play, especially at today’s more economical pricing given it’s relatively short playtime.

Grim Fandango-Currently finishing. Loving the story and great use of the themes/motifs. However I actually find it unfun to play; perhaps it is the awful tank controls or the fact that everything schafer-infused is compared to Psychonauts as it was my first Schafer title and it was just so much fun to play. This one however I could almost just watch someone else play and enjoy it more, not sure that I’ve ever felt that way about a game before. Speaking of Schafer…

Stacking-fun download title and a great aesthetic and clever game design.

Sherlock Holmes:TTOSH-Dreadful. A complete sloppy mess of bad storytelling and stupified, casual puzzle game drivel. Huge letdown compared to Jack the Ripper and The Awakened.

Non-adventures:

The Witcher 2 360 Enhanced Edition
Dust
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (Replay)
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (Replay)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Replay)
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Halo CE
Castlevania: SOTN
Bioshock 1 (Replay)
Bioshock 2 (Replay)
Alice Madness Returns (Replay)
Beyond Good and Evil (Replay)
Alan Wake (Replay)
Alan Wake: American Nightmare
Tomb Raider Trilogy: Anniversary, Legend, Underworld (Replay)

Game of the Year: The Witcher 2- Incredible story and superb acting. A brilliant envisioning of the insanity of European monarchies set with a unique fantasy setting that could never have come from a Japanese or American RPG developer. The two parallel story lines , with variant sub stories toward the end, make for a very interesting and replayable experience. Can’t wait to see what CDProject has in store for Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk.

Downloadable Game of the Year: Dust- lovingly crafted action adventure in the style of Castlevania:SOTN and Simon’s Quest or Metroid. Except unlike those games this one has a beautiful story to combine with the super smooth combat, vibrant visuals, and beautiful music. Currently only on Xbox but given that MS can’t keep anything exclusive don’t hesitate to pick it up on PC or PS3 when it inevitably releases if you don’t play 360.

Adventure Game of the Year: Gabriel Knight-Obviously I’m late to the party with this one, but out of the “official” adventure gaming I did this year this was hands down the best. Nearly a perfect classical Sierra adventure for the reasons detailed above.

Well I didn’t do nearly as much “adventure” gaming as I thought I had this year, though I did play a number of titles with similar emphasis on storytelling. I’ll have to get to work for the new year; I’ve got all the Tex Murphys, Quest for Glory, Resonance, Gemini Rue, Journeyman 2 & 3 (can’t wait for the Pegasus Prime PC port next year!), 7th Guest, 11th Hour, Post Morten, Book of Unwritten Tales, and a couple others already waiting to be played.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 29 December 2012 12:46 PM

It’s not so much “beauty” (KQ5 was, and still is, gorgeous) as, well, everything else in that quote that I object to. Tongue

I seems i misunderstood Kuru Statement(or not?),  i apologize for my previous post.

Edited:can someone help me here ,if i understand correctly or not (with simple English please Tongue )

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-09-30

PM

I was never a big adventure fan before this year. In March I completed Riven after giving up way back when it was released. So I went on and played a bunch of “classics” for the first time, in addition to some indies:

Adventure completed:

Alpha Polaris: very compelling but short indie game. A bargain at $5! 3/4
Myst MPE: very fun, even 15+ years after it came out! 3.5/4
Riven: great atmosphere and artwork. 4/4
Syberia: more story than puzzle, but still fun. 3/4
Syberia II: an improvement on the first. 3.5/4
Machinarium: tough puzzles, good story, beautiful art: 4/4
The Longest Journey: Epic, maybe too epic? Dated graphics. Fun. 3/4
Deponia: The humor wasn’t a hit for me. Frustrating puzzles. 2/4
Samarost 2 and Botanicula: casual games, still fun. 3/4

Adventure abandoned:

Stacking: even with vignetting turned off, this game game me a headache. Maybe my grafx card or ???
TLJ Dreamfall: I just could not get used to the console-focused controls. Gave up.

Adventure in progress:
LA Noire: amazing graphics, lots of action in addition to the detective stuff. Not played long enough to rate.

Others:

Portal: I closed my eyes when “flinging” due to nausea. Still fun! 3/4

I haven’t seen Alpha Polaris mentioned anywhere, so it seems this is an overlooked treasure? Not an AAA title by any means, but a good value for $5!

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 29 December 2012 12:31 PM

@Kuru
its strange how you fill your Adventure Scene with Mrs.Williams Adventures and then you would say something like that

If I only posted scenes from games I’ve liked, I’d have run out of material months ago. Grin I prefer posting scenes that I think can make for interesting discussion, even if I personally didn’t like the game (or haven’t even played it).

And for the record (and for the last time): I don’t hate Roberta Williams. I’ve played all of her games (even Mission Asteroid!), and I’ve liked many of them for what they are. I do think however that the reverence she gets in some circles is somewhat baffling, and that her historical importance is grossly overstated. She kept pushing for better technology and art (and her slave driver of a husband ensured she got what she wanted), but she always was a mediocre writer and, as a designer, she had her head stuck in the 80s (or even 70s). While others (at Sierra and elsewhere) experimented with, evolved and ultimately improved the scope and mechanics of adventure games, she just kept remaking Colossal Cave over and over and over again, with just an ever-prettier coat of paint over it.

</off-topic>  (why is that tag not working?!)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I understand now, and this is a subject the seriously need another thread to cover all its aspects ;

but at least (that i agree with you about R.W stuck inthe late 70’s,80’s and Fairytales)
we can give her that; she was the 1st to make a Graphical Adventure , she was the 1st to make an FMV Adventure , and she was the one behind Discovering the talented Designer J.J.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top