• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

My 2012, adventurewise :)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie, I didn’t play it, but what was so bad with Haunted?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i guess diego you would expect a challenging game as the previous-es deck13s Ankh(s) and J.Keane but this one breaks the rule to a childish great easy extend,

the game Graphics Adjustment were Terrible i had adjust the balances between Gamma-Brightness-Contrast all through the game some place were to dark you can not see the Hotspots and other were too bright and flashy even with the Hotspot Revealer , but maybe they fixed that with version 1.2 as i played the 1.0….and add to that, these adjustments dont take place until you restart the game!!

Cliched Dialog ,not funny at all; listen to this you play with a Ghost Pirate as one of the three main characters and his name was not Lechuck or Papadoc ,not even Close Smile

all the puzzles consists of inventory trials and they are almost always do not exceed 5-6 items a phase .

the translation is like made by Google Translator, i guess that goes to the long delay of Publishing .

i just gave that score for one thing only which is the Fully Amazing 3D outlook, really that something guaranteed to amaze any Player for a change of the Retro Games and 2D ones but still that does not make it any better, because why the hell a big production game like that get wasted and loses all the other fun Adventuring elements??

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fair enough Tongue Thanx, I see where you’re coming from, but I’ll still try it, I really liked the atmosphere looking at the preview screenshots in last 2-3 years, but maybe something with the delay and bankruptcy also took a toll on the game?

Unfortunately, Jack Keane 2 hasn’t received great critics in Germany also, but I hope Deck13 to publish more quality titles like Ankh and Jack Keane in the future.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

diego - 27 December 2012 04:58 PM
Agustín Cordes - 27 December 2012 11:19 AM

No love for The Dream Machine?

I’ve finished the first episode - interesting, original and spooky. If I’m not mistaken, it’s the first adventure since Neverhood to use clay (and cardboard)?

I don’t think so. There’s was another adventure similar to The Neverhood for the PSX if I’m not mistaken. But yeah, first claynimation adventure in a looong time…

Agustín Cordes - 27 December 2012 11:19 AM

I’ve no complains whatsoever about Daedalic games, but so far my favorite is A New Beginning. Absorbing Sci-Fi story!

I’d say The Whispered World is my fav, but I had good time with ANB as well - it’s mainly some aspects of the narrative and undefined side characters that I had minor gripes with, but still enjoyed it.

What can I say, I’m a sucker for post-apocalyptic environments and time travel, so this story was right up my alley. We’ll see if the rest holds up, but I’m loving it. I still have to play The Whispering World though.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I forgot: I also played the first episode of Reperfection. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s an intriguing concept. A bit inconsistent in parts, but the story hooked me up. In the end I was truly anticipating the next episode, so I heartily recommend it!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Adventures
Black Mirror III
Discworld Noir
The Blackwell Trilogy
The Journeyman Project 3
Botanicula
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Whispered World
Overclocked: A History of Violence
A New Beginning
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Dark Fall: Lost Souls
Cognition: Episode 1
The Blackwell Deception
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon
Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon

Others
Bioshock
Portal 2
Legend of Grimrock
Hard Reset
Limbo
To the Moon
The Binding of Isaac
Spacechem
Super Meat Boy
Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP
Midnight Mysteries: Edgar Allen Poe Conspiracy

Unfinished
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Stacking (5/5)
Book of Unwritten Tales (4.5/5)
Beneath a Steel Sky (4/5)
Sanitarium (4/5)
Ben There Dan That (4/5)
Time Gentleman Please (4/5)
The Blackwell Quadrilogy (4/5)
To The Moon (4/5)
Deponia (3.5/5)
Cognition: Episode 1 (3.5/5)
The Critter Chronicles (3.5/5)
Under a Killing Moon/Pandora Directive/Overseer- (All 3/5)
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes (3/5)
The Silver Lining (3/5)
Ben Jordan Series (3/5)
Metal Dead (3/5)
Yesterday (3/5)
Machinarium (3/5)
The Feeble Files (2.5/5)
Botanicula (2.5/5)
Shadows of the Vatican: Act 1 (2/5)

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Advie - 27 December 2012 05:37 PM

Luckly i keep my finished adventures organized in folders by each year so i wont need to make an effort remembering what i did through the year, and i do rate them as well .

You can use Backloggery too - http://backloggery.com/

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Oh, crap… I’m forgetting about even more great titles:

The Sea Will Claim Everything - Just do yourself a favor and play this!
J.U.L.I.A. - An unfortunately neglected Sci-Fi adventure. Great story and setting.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Agustín Cordes - 27 December 2012 09:53 PM

Seconded! Smile

PS: I once bid on ebay on the IF game Suspended just for that mask (I already own the game). Fairly high too.  Innocent

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

OK, I will download it! I should play more indie games. I used to do that a lot and they are often much more interesting than the mainstream games.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hmm, it’s gonna be hard to remember all, my memory of things I’ve put behind me tends to be quite fuzzy, but the games I immediately remember finishing during this year are:

The Book of Unwritten Tales
Deponia
Chaos on Deponia
A New Beginning
The Whispered World
Chains of Satinav
Duckman (replay)
Secret of Monkey Island (replay)
Le Chuck’s Revenge (replay)
Curse of Monkey Island (replay)
Tales of Monkey Island (started much earlier, but not actually finished untill 2012)
The Walking Dead
L.A Noire
Heavy Rain
Gilbert Goodmate
The Blackwell Legacy
Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity (replay)
Sam and Max- Hit the Road (replay)
Full Throttle (replay)
Beneath a Steel Sky (replay)
Broken Sword 1 (replay)
Toonstruck (replay)
The Dig (replay)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (replay)
So Blonde
Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle
Ceville
Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island (replay)
Runaway 3
Hollywood Monsters
Yesterday
The Next Big Thing
The Journey Down
Murder in the Abbey (replay)
Resonance
Tony Tough and the Night of the Roasted Moths (replay)
Back to the Future (3 first episodes)
Hector (first episode)

Currently playing The Critter Chronicles, and I expect to finish it before the year is over Smile

It’s been a busy year of adventure for me, and there’s more than likely quite a few titles I forgot to mention. The DoubleFine kickstarter really reignited my passion for the genre, not that I ever lost it, but I don’t think it’s ever been as deep as it is right now.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Fien - 28 December 2012 12:21 AM

PS: I once bid on ebay on the IF game Suspended just for that mask (I already own the game). Fairly high too.  Innocent

You know, the copy I bought was sealed. And I had to open it. Really. You see, I have this obsession, if I don’t open stuff I don’t feel like I own it. So… I was forced to open a mint copy of the Suspended mask Nerd

In my defense, it was a bit torn in parts!

tsa - 28 December 2012 03:38 AM

OK, I will download it! I should play more indie games. I used to do that a lot and they are often much more interesting than the mainstream games.

It’s even on discount right now. Bear in mind it requires patience and there’s a lot of reading involved, but the game can be immensely rewarding. You’ll probably love the soundtrack too.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Agustín Cordes - 28 December 2012 06:37 AM

You know, the copy I bought was sealed. And I had to open it. Really. You see, I have this obsession, if I don’t open stuff I don’t feel like I own it. So… I was forced to open a mint copy of the Suspended mask Nerd

Of course you had to open it! I used to be some sort of collector (I saw the light after I’d paid a lot of money for the worst adventure game ever made: The Morlov Affair), but I was never one of those fanatics who will sue the seller when they discover a tiny hole in the shrinkwrap of their super rare game. Seeing, feeling, admiring the box and goodies and playing the game is what it’s all about.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve focused more on (re)playing adventure classics this year (hardly any new games). I spent most of the year chipping away at my adventure backlog (and filling the giant holes in my adventure games cultural knowledge), except for during the spring and summer months, where RPGs and sports games (and then a bunch of random revisits) prevailed…

DS games played in 2012:
- Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call - ***1/2: great production value, lots of riddles, good background story, but basically just “more of the same”
- Flower, Sun and Rain - **1/2: mediocre, the Groundhog Day effect is funny in the beginning, but starts to drag near the end. Too much running from A to (distant) B as well.
- Again - ***: starts great with a good concept, but the cheesy FMV-emulation and the extremely weak ending make this merely an average game (and by far Cing’s worst title)
- Time Hollow - ****1/2: superb game! Great story that grabs you immediately and doesn’t let go. Best game I’ve played on the DS this year!
- Chessmaster: The Art of Learning (revisit) - ****: part of my non-adventure period (the month where I was playing a lot of chess again)
- Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past - ****: great (and VERY lengthy) noir title with a few really interesting cases. “As Time Goes By” in particular is great!
- Another Code: Two Memories (AKA Trace Memory) - ****: really good title by Cing. Makes great use of all the DS functionality - something they built on for the Hotel Dusk games.

Adventure games played in 2012:
- L.A. Noire - ***1/2: beautiful game, but heavily flawed
- Grim Fandango (replay) - *****: one of the best games of all time - started replaying everything by LucasArts last year, I had only this and the Monkey Island series to go this year…
- The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (replay) - ****1/2: see Grim Fandango. Awesome game. First time I’ve played the SE, though. Graphics aren’t really that much better (they lack a bit of soul), but the voice work is top notch!
- Discworld Noir (community playthrough) - ****1/2: great and funny game that made for a really fun community playthrough. The mid-game additional ‘scent’-gameplay works really well!
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge - Special Edition (replay) - ****1/2: see Secret of Monkey Island, but with some improvements: a streamlined gameplay that’s one of the best I’ve ever played, and the possibility to play it with the old graphics but the new voice work (Dominic Armato is just hilarious!)
- The Curse of Monkey Island (replay) - *****: simply the best game of all time! This will always be my personal favourite!
- King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder - ***: lots of deaths and dead ends, but overall a pretty enjoyable KQ game
- King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow - ****: best KQ game of all time, and one of the best Sierra games. Still plenty of deaths and dead ends, but it’s an improvement on “early Sierra”...
- The Space Bar (community playthrough) - (***): insanely difficult game, and with brutal gameplay. Very funny on some occasions, very frustrating on others. I hope to finish it soon.
- Escape from Monkey Island (replay) - ****: the last game of my LucasArts replays that I started this year. Ugly 3D graphics, but otherwise a very underappreciated game. It’s not because it’s the worst of the four, that it’s bad. Not at all…

Non-adventure games played in 2012:
- Mass Effect 2 DLC (replay) - *****: that’s just me completing my main ME character’s playthrough to get a complete save transfer into ME3
- Mass Effect 3 - *****: awesome game, despite the mandatory online play and the weaker ending (which they improved upon after far too much backlash from the gaming community)
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (abandoned) - ***: like a lot of Bethesda games: great at first, but starts getting far too repetitive and even annoying after 20-odd hours. I didn’t feel like investing another 60 hours or so in the game, so I quit.
- Tennis Elbow 2011 (revisit) - ****1/2: best tennis game of all time. It’s cost me two full months for the second year in a row… Tongue
- London 2012: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games - ***1/2: I like the updated gameplay (with less button mashing), and overall it’s a pretty good Olympic video game. Beach volley was a fun new addition.
- Championship Manager 01/02 (revisit) - *****: best CM game of all time (and I love the CM/FM series). I occasionally go back to it for a few weeks.
- Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword (revisit) - *****: CivIV is the best strategy game of all time, and I frequently revisit this for a few weeks.
- Frets on Fire (revisit) - ****1/2: sometimes I just feel like breaking out my Guitar Hero controller again, and just play some songs. Originally made with “holding your keyboard like a guitar” in mind, it’s just a lot more fun if you have an actual GH guitar… Tongue
- Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition (revisit) - ****1/2: every couple of years I have a sudden urge to play a lot of chess. This happened again this year. If you feel like training your chess skills, or want to play against a computer opponent, then Chessmaster: GM Edition is the best chess game you can think of…

26 games. Last year I played 31.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top