• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango in ResidualVM 0.1.0

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

The first stable release of ResidualVM that supports running Grim Fandango on modern systems (Windows, Linux or OS X) is out.
http://residualvm.org

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And suddenly the site that had the Grim Fandango installer seems to not function anymore…

Coincidence??? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Well, the whole mixnmojo site has been down for over a week, so I would hardly classify it as a coincidence;)

But the ResidualVM team has done an amazing job!
I highly encourage everyone to try it out.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Nice! Have to try it out

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Just curious…..has anyone installed ResidualVM and GF? Their site says to copy the *.LAB and GRIM.TAB files to your computer…..I take it that none of the DLL’s are needed? If you have installed RVM and DF, have you had any issues? I’m running Windows Home Vista…..

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

No, only the files listed on the required data files page are necessary. (See documentation tab on the ResidualVM home page).

ResidualVM is not an emulator, the whole engine is reverse engineered and therefore only the resource files are needed. Simply copy these files to a folder on your hard drive and direct ResidualVM to this folder.
In theory, that is all that need to be done. I also recommend downloading the patch linked to on the ResidualVM homepage to maximize compatibility.

This works exactly like ScummVM if you have ever tried it.

It would be helpfull if you could state the spesifics of any problem you are encountering.

Merry Christmas!

Edit; ps. Some people are experiencing slight sound pops and hizzes with the initial release.
This should be resolved, so I would recommend downloading tomorrows daily build to avoid this.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Thanks for the response! I thought I was having problems, but it was just old age and treachery setting in again….I couldn’t figure out why I had no mouse cursor after the opening cut-scene. While waiting for a reply to my post on the ResidualVM forum, I pulled out my original game manual, and actually READ it, only to find that the game doesn’t USE the mouse, only the keyboard or a joystick or gamepad. I had played it so long ago that I’d forgotten this minor little detail!

Cheers!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

No problem! Glad you made it work:)

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

Warning: When using numpad on a keyboard to control the game, num-lock should be OFF, it does not work properly with num-lock ON. It has been reported but not fixed yet.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top