• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t accused anyone of anything - I just asked a question.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

noknowncure - 18 April 2014 04:16 PM

I don’t think Moebius has the worst voice acting by any stretch, but I similarly don’t think it’s worthy of any great praise.

You understand that the praise is not for the accent but the overall feel of it? Just because of tiny bit of something is “wrong”, doesn’t mean it can’t be great, just like most games I love. Malachi has a great voice and I could listen to it for hours.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

chrissie - 18 April 2014 04:37 PM

I haven’t accused anyone of anything - I just asked a question.

As did I.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

millenia - 18 April 2014 04:40 PM
noknowncure - 18 April 2014 04:16 PM

I don’t think Moebius has the worst voice acting by any stretch, but I similarly don’t think it’s worthy of any great praise.

You understand that the praise is not for the accent but the overall feel of it? Just because of tiny bit of something is “wrong”, doesn’t mean it can’t be great, just like most games I love. Malachi has a great voice and I could listen to it for hours.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply your praise, I was just talking purely about my own stance there.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

noknowncure - 18 April 2014 04:05 PM

The deduction puzzles in Moebius felt similarly unrealised - much of it boiled down to guesswork, whereas there must be some way to perhaps incorporate environmental observations into more concrete deductions. A lot of Malachi’s assumptions seemed unsatisfying in their relative groundlessness.

Fundamentally agree - the idea is nice, but the execution doesn’t quite reach the levels you’d like it to. Not easy though, to be fair…

I’m English and have studied accents

And I’m English and have taught English to non-natives for ca. 20 years…including differences between GB & US English. And that includes pronunciation differences, so yes, the difference in the pronunciation of “due” is well known to me.

but it stands out like a sore thumb to people in the know.

Depends on the level of “in the know” I guess. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m not pig-ignorant on the subject and Malachi’s accent does not “stick out like a sore thumb” to me as being faked by an American. Yes, it does sound slightly affected at times, but to be honest, that works considering his background and major “snob” personality.

What specific examples of his fake voice acting “sticking out like a sore thumb” are there? I’m genuinely interested.

Agree with your points that stiff animation makes quality voice acting more difficult, as well as laughter being difficult to produce and sound natural. I do wonder which are the “couple of studios that put an emphasis on acting” in your opinion? Telltale is often praised, but as they use the same agency as JJ has done for Moebius, I don’t imagine that can be what you’re thinking of. For me, Jane Jensen games in general, Tim Schafer’s games, and also Longest Journey/Dreamfall score very well. Anything connected to Wadjet Eye games is generally pretty good too. Daedalic definitely don’t score so well, and as for Black Mirror (shudder) Gasp

But as Millenia says,

millenia - 18 April 2014 04:40 PM

You understand that the praise is not for the accent but the overall feel of it?

As an example, Tim Curry in GK1 was great. Yes, the New Orleans accent may not have been authentic, but I didn’t find it mattered. As opposed to GK3 where he was, at times, well over the top.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Old school Lucasarts used to excel at VA and Tim Schafer has definitely taken that aspect with him in his foray into Doublefine’s production.

Telltale’s a company that use several good people, but often don’t get the best out of them. Their sound editing often creates uncomfortable pauses between characters in conversation, leaving the player with the impression that the two aren’t inhabiting the same place - I’d imagine due to the individual recordings taking place at different points.

Daedalic still have a long way to go, but they’ve shown a noticeable improvement as time’s gone on. I believe some of their more recent works have used several of the same VA’s currently working on Broken Sword 5 - which is another mixed bag, performance wise, though with a good hit ratio.

I’m always surprised by Wadjet Eye. Their VA’s are often a little rough around the edges, but for an indie team who often uses friends and acting colleagues, they’ve produced some good stuff.

I know it’s a love it/hate it one, but I always liked Tim Curry as Gabriel Knight, as I felt his caricatured, near pantomime Southern drawl fit the larger than life Gabriel. It was also a very vibrant, expressive performance and told us a lot about the character without having to articulate it verbally. I didn’t get anything of the sort with Malachi and for a man obsessed with details, quality and spotting fakes, a dodgy accent seemed completely wrong to me.

I’d have to give the game another play through to document the problems I had with Malachi’s voice.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Caliburn - 18 April 2014 01:09 PM

Nice avatar, giom! Thumbs Up We can start a club, The Many Disguises of Robin Hood. Grin

Yes Grin Conquest of the longbow is one of my favorite game, so when I tried to look for an avatar I thought to use it Grin
Now we just need a couple more to round out the disguises

DaveyB - 18 April 2014 05:55 PM

The deduction puzzles in Moebius felt similarly unrealised - much of it boiled down to guesswork, whereas there must be some way to perhaps incorporate environmental observations into more concrete deductions. A lot of Malachi’s assumptions seemed unsatisfying in their relative groundlessness.

Fundamentally agree - the idea is nice, but the execution doesn’t quite reach the levels you’d like it to. Not easy though, to be fair…

Yes, I really feel that this idea had a lot of potential and it’s a pity it wasn’t more developed…  It’s the same as the magic trick in GM.
But, yes, innovating in puzzle mechanism is definitely not easy.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

While we’re on the subject of bad voice acting in Moebius, it should be mentioned that the voice acting for Moebius character Walker is terrible and much worse than main character Rector’s, which is decent in comparison. Not saying the Walker actor isn’t talented, but he was definitely miscast or was given poor direction here. When you combine Walker’s out-of-place surfer dude voice with the character’s ridiculous appearance (extremely skin tight v-neck with skinny jeans, disproportionately large pecs and no triceps to speak of) what other reaction but laughter could be expected from the player? I can’t take the story seriously at all, in part because of the game’s disappointing production values and unbelievable characters like Walker. Such game shortcomings might be forgivable in a less expensive game, but apparently the full asking price for Moebius is $30 (!). Ouch.

I’ve been struggling to continue playing Moebius. It has been such a slog so far. The characters aren’t the least bit likable and the whole experience is rather depressing.

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

noknowncure - 18 April 2014 06:23 PM

Old school Lucasarts used to excel at VA and Tim Schafer has definitely taken that aspect with him in his foray into Doublefine’s production.

Heck, yes! DOTT, Sam & Max and Full Throttle all had AWESOME voice acting. Although the actors deserve plenty of praise, I think the writing and direction they were given probably contributed a lot to the success of the performances.

In Moebius the characters are rather two dimensional, so maybe there was not much the actors could have done with the material.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

In all honesty, OrionO. If you hate it so much, why not just steer clear of it? The game and the thread here. You are unnecessarily torturing yourself and all of use others at the same time.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

I enjoy hearing all perspectives, including yours, Millennia. Just because I and many others, including many professional critics who have so far given Moebius an average rating of 59%, don’t love the game, it doesn’t mean we don’t want to discuss it and hear what others have to say.

Millennia, did you find Moebius difficult? How many hours did it take you to beat it?

I’m one of those people who normally refuses to look up hints, so I can stay stuck at one point for a long time.  Frown  With Moebius, though, I kind of just want to get the thing over with.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m not saying you couldn’t voice your opinion, but it’s getting painful already, and to me it feels that you are really just ruining your evenings focusing on this game. I would never waste so much time into something I dislike that much. How about giving it half a star and a review that it sucked so much you didn’t even want to finish it, and moving on to something nicer? Just a suggestion, not a command.

I think my game time passed about 10 hours but some of it is not actual playing time, I believe it took perhaps 9 hours and it wasn’t really difficult, though some not-so-great puzzle mechanics made me spend some unnecessary time with it. I have talked about the game quite a lot here and even mentioned things I disliked.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

OrionO - 18 April 2014 06:48 PM

I’ve been struggling to continue playing Moebius. It has been such a slog so far. The characters aren’t the least bit likable and the whole experience is rather depressing.

To be fair, Malachi’s cold, unpleasant, arrogance is expanded on and made part of the story. It’s there for a reason.

I found the gameplay flowed well, meaning I was never stumped - depending on your perspective, this could mean it’s ‘too easy’, but I think the challenge level is satisfying - and the only instances I was very briefly stumped tended to be the times when previously unusable objects suddenly became usable without warning - the wine at the party in Zurich.

When I realised the end puzzle was going to be a maze, my heart sank, but even that wasn’t difficult in the least. It was just repetitive and time consuming.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

noknowncure - 18 April 2014 08:19 PM

To be fair, Malachi’s cold, unpleasant, arrogance is expanded on and made part of the story. It’s there for a reason.

yeah.. and as pointed out by the review here, that reason is kind of absurdly funny.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

OrionO - 18 April 2014 06:48 PM

At the start, yes. But the biggest compliment you can make about the game is how they turn this around by the end, and you realize it was intentional. Not many games are capable of creating annoying, unlikeable characters on purpose and then making you like them.

There’s a reason Malachi acts like he does, which I wish had been fleshed out just a little more (they mention some kind of trauma in his childhood)

zane - 18 April 2014 08:25 PM
noknowncure - 18 April 2014 08:19 PM

yeah.. and as pointed out by the review here, that reason is kind of absurdly funny.

Why is that?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top