• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Cairo scenes were pixelated for me as well in full HD resolution.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2011-11-22

PM

Good to know it’s not just a problem with my configuration. Fortunately, the three graphics options don’t seem to make any difference at all to performance.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I guess they changed the name of the secret government agency since the beta? Because when John Walker wrote about the game it was called differently:

The ludicrously named Malachi Rector is a genius. His photographic memory, combined with an all-encompassing knowledge of seemingly all of history, makes him expert in both antiques and antiquity, and also an arrogant sod. When the utterly ridiculously named secret government agency F.I.S.T. (Future Intelligence Science & Technology) hires him, it’s time to hot-foot it around the world, analysing things with this analysing brain.

I guess it was a good choice to re-name it, though FITA is too close in my mind to feta. Eh.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Yeah, they changed it. I’m glad they did, it was a tad too campy to be called FIST let alone to still be taken seriously. I think there was a bit of discussion about that in beta.

I guess it was a good choice to re-name it, though FITA is too close in my mind to feta.

I’m more reminded of FIFA Grin But it doesn’t bother me…

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Rufus - 04 April 2014 05:57 AM

please tell me that there’s some context that explains this!

No.. not really. Its just a “theyr badasses” statement. Plus, i think theyr laughing at the realization that malachi shooting him wouldnt solve anything.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Iznogood - 03 April 2014 08:24 AM
Doom - 02 April 2014 08:26 AM

I also disliked that the hero refuses to pick up certain items unless he is sure he needs them. I hate this modern game mechanics with all my heart, it is cheap, and it’s disappointing to see Jensen making use of it.

I actually seem to have no less than the fourth opinion on this Smile

I also don’t like when you get this kind of refusal to pick up an item, because the protagonist doesn’t realise (s)he needs it. But I am on the other hand also not a big fan of the normal AG approach where you turn in to a kleptomaniac and takes everything that is not nailed down, simply because it might be something we will need later in the game. And finally I don’t think adding a lot of red herrings to the game is the solution to the problem.

Instead I believe the solution is to design games in a way, so that the most logical path will mean that you encounter the puzzles you need to solve before you encounter the items you need to solve those puzzles. So instead of walking into the world with a full inventory looking for puzzles you can use the items on, than you have a list of puzzle you need to solve and are actively looking for items that can help you solve those puzzles. It might be harder to design a game this way, and I can’t remember a single game that has done it to perfection, but there are never the less many classic AG that has achieved this to a large degree.

Great post! Have to agree, its all in the game design Smile

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

zane - 04 April 2014 11:52 AM
Rufus - 04 April 2014 05:57 AM

please tell me that there’s some context that explains this!

No.. not really. Its just a “theyr badasses” statement. Plus, i think theyr laughing at the realization that malachi shooting him wouldnt solve anything.

Also, in that scene Malachi holds a gun for the first time, while David was in the Special Forces.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Developer’s Diary with Jane Jensen talking about Moebius

It’s mainly a summary for people who haven’t heard much about the game before (i.e. probably people not reading AG forums), but I think it does a nice job of highlighting the game’s strengths:
1) a mystery that turns into a larger, globetrotting thriller
2) Jane’s love of weaving history and the paranormal into the story
3) an entertaining dynamic between the two main characters (who I would say are reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes and Watson)
4) traditional adventure game puzzles along with analytical puzzles befitting Malachi’s way of thinking

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I WANT IT NAOW!!!
Wink

Oh well, to tide me over I’ll play Ether One instead. Looks promising too, though I almost never play 1st person Myst-likes.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Well, I just finished the demo and although my expectations were pretty low, I must say it still managed to disappoint me. Character models are just as bad as the trailers suggested, especially in motion, and both the puzzles and the story failed to grab me. That could obviously change in the remaining chapters, but I just don’t see the potential people seem to acknowledge in the demo. The writing is also a bit flat, at least in this chapter and I can’t say I found the main characters especially interesting. On the bright side, I didn’t find the response times as unacceptable as I feared, although the overall tempo of the game does seem to be a bit slow.

Jane also said that Moebius is a pretty big game (she even compared sizes with Broken Age, which she kind of suggested is smaller than one would expect for the budget). I am not one to judge stuff from size alone but if that demo was the 1/7 of the whole game, then I think her statement is a bit uncalled for. Besides, the price tag on Moebius is steeper.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

maladroid - 05 April 2014 12:30 AM

Jane also said that Moebius is a pretty big game (she even compared sizes with Broken Age, which she kind of suggested is smaller than one would expect for the budget). I am not one to judge stuff from size alone but if that demo was the 1/7 of the whole game, then I think her statement is a bit uncalled for. Besides, the price tag on Moebius is steeper.

If you mean Jane’s response that Lambonius quoted (originally posted on the Pinkerton Road forums here), I don’t think Jane was suggesting that she felt Broken Age was shorter than it should be for its budget, only that its production values are naturally going to be higher because it has more money spread across what she hears is a smaller game (comparing BA Part 1 only to Moebius). Jane has not had a chance to play Broken Age yet (according to the interview Lucien21 posted earlier) and I do not believe she was intending to criticize it in any way. The only reason she even mentioned BA seems to be because it had come up previously in people’s comments in that thread.

As for what the Moebius game length is, 10 hours has been suggested as a figure before, so it may not be drastically different from BA’s ultimate length once Part 2 is out, who knows. I opted not to play the chapter-by-chapter backer beta of Moebius and instead wait for the finished game, so I cannot confirm its total length (which always varies somewhat from player to player anyway). I believe Zane has played the full game in beta form: he or another poster may know how long it took them. I have played the recent backer/GOG-exclusive demo of Moebius but I stopped at the end of Chapter 1, so I can’t speak to how Chapter 2 which you played in the public demo compares.

Of course, I should add that game size (in terms of amount of content to build) could have other metrics besides intended play length, like number of rooms, number of characters, and so on, but length is probably good enough for purposes of this discussion, since I assume length is what you meant by “1/7 of the whole game.”

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Hmm, now that I re-read her comment, it’s possible that she was comparing BA’s size with that of her previous games (GKs, GM) because she seems to be comparing budgets with them and not Moebius. Hard to say, though.

Having played the demo, however, I still think the $30 tag is a bit on the steep side for a game of its supposed length (it should be between the 8-10 hour range, given Chapter 2’s size) and production values. I know I am definitely waiting for a sale, unless the reviews are glowing across the board (and maybe even then).

No good deed goes unpunished

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

There’s something special about a Jane Jensen adventure game that makes me put up with all its flaws, which are at times innumerable (consider Gabriel Knight 3, Gray Matter and Moebius now). Jensen’s work on her adventure games isn’t perfect most of the time either, her games have often the problem that you thought you’ve done everything you have to do, but the story still won’t progress. Then the hunt is on to find a certain hotspot to click, an item to examine, before the game deems everything done. Even GK2 had this problem. At least Moebius hasn’t it so far.
Moebius’ story is quite ludicrous, and I do miss a certain down-to-earth quality the Gabriel Knights, especially the first one, had. Otherwise Chapter 2 managed to captivate and entertain me so far. It was good for me. What more could I want? Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I’m hoping the rest of the game is more similar to the Venice part of the first chapter, as I found the second somewhat dull.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Well, Jane Jensen games are always slow burners, they are always more interesting later on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top