• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Jane herself made a post on the Pinkerton Road forums yesterday that is amazing (on several levels), but also directly addresses the complaints in this thread.  I’ll just quote it here:

Hi, guys. A few thoughts on this thread.

First, the dev team on Moebius had no changes or upsets. It was Phoenix Online from day 1 and it’s shipping that way.

Second, yes, budget. After the kickstarter fees, etc, we had about $400K to make this game. That includes all the rewards the CSG is supposed to get (T-shirts), shipping etc. Now, that’s pretty insane. I don’t think I understood initially how insane that was! GK1 cost $1mill in 1993 and the other GKs probabluy double that. And yes, GM’s budget was well over a million. Broken Age had at least 3 x’s that and, from what I hear, is a much smaller game.

Moebius is not a small game. When I wrote the design for it, I wrote a full-sized adventure game similar to GM or GK. And I and the team were committed to doing it all, because we loved it and wanted Moebius to be something special as our first release.

I don’t think any other dev team on earth would have done this game with me for the kind of money we were able to give PO. And they didn’t constantly tell me ‘but we can’t do that’ either. They just did it. All of the cut scenes in the game are fully animated. The end sequence alone, in chapter 7, has 3 large cut scenes that are as fully animated as a cartoon with hundreds of animations. And when we looked at it, Phoenix didn’t say ‘No fucking way, go rewrite this, Jane’, they said ‘we’ll get it done’. And they did—and those cut scenes are AWESOME.

Of course, $400K is not enough, so both the team and myself are putting money into the game both real and virtual (that is, giving hours and hours of our time for nothing).

Now, having said that, when I look at the trailer and a lot of the game, I don’t see issues with graphics. Where I notice it is on chapter 1, those first round of models and animations, and in the ch 2 opening cut scene, which is the very first cut scene we did. I can see how much Phoenix has improved since then, if you look at that compared to, say, ch 5 - 7. Maybe it’s because I don’t play hard-core games? Or maybe it’s entirely subjective.

The art style that Andy Hoyos and I set initially was a very edgey, more simplistic, graphic novel style based on a graphic novel series Andy loved. I agree that, in some case, it’s not the art style but some rough execution on the models, like I said, mostly the early ones, but it wasn’t possible (or, I think, necessary) go back and edit all of that on our budget.

The 720 resolution and OGG format on the videos is pretty standard and used on a lot of AAA titles. The issue with making it larger is that is can just not run well on slower machines. Even on the demo, we have had a few people whose laptops just couldn’t handle the videos and crapped out. It’s a matter of balancing as good a look as possible while not leaving out a large portion of your audience.

Moebius is a game that gets deeper every chapter, and I think the story is very strong. I’m super proud of this game, and proud what the team has accomplished with it. My hope is, when people finish the epilogue, they’re just left with a great feeling. It’s not that everything is perfect, but that the impression it leaves you with at the end is so positive and warm and fuzzy that that’s what you remember.

In the end, it’s a subjective experience. Some people may not like Moebius, either the graphics or the story. Some may complain it’s not like game x or y. But I’ve gotten a lot of great comments in the past few days about the demo, so I’m hopeful that a lot of people will. We’ll see!

Jane

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 01 April 2014 10:43 PM

I completely agree about the movement issues because those actually hamper the pace of gameplay, but the design of the characters really doesn’t bother me.  I SEE the proportion issues people are talking about—they’re definitely there—but to me the aesthetic feels consistent and willful, and that’s all that matters in my book.

To me the issue looks like it comes from poorly done character rigging rather than aesthetic choice. In many places it looks like the bones aren’t correctly attatched to the characters and they seem to stretch the limbs rather than moving them naturally. And the facial animation is just a one big mess.

In the end I’d say it looks the way it looks because of the lack of resources rather than something that they aimed for and that’s the vibe I got from Jane’s Pinkerton Road message as well.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

tomimt - 02 April 2014 02:20 AM

In the end I’d say it looks the way it looks because of the lack of resources rather than something that they aimed for and that’s the vibe I got from Jane’s Pinkerton Road message as well.

It’s true that she did acknowledge some of the graphical rough edges, and the budgetary limitations, but she also stated in no uncertain terms that she’s happy with it, and very proud of it and excited to show it off.  The message is a clear celebration of Pheonix Online’s work.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

I am not calling Jane a liar or anything but would you expect her to say otherwise, even if, in her heart of hearts, she wasn’t satisfied with the end result? What I got from that statement is that Jane is mostly grateful to have found some people who were so passionate for Moebious that they basically did it pro bono rather than super-excited with the end result per se. Don’t get me wrong, I agree this is all a huge undertaking for PO and I think Jane and everyone involved probably deserve to feel proud with what they accomplished on this budget but the game has some glaring technical issues which are hard to justify to an objective player/client (and even to some sympathetic ones, like myself).

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2013-11-24

PM

Blackthorne - 22 March 2014 01:35 AM

My partner Shawn and I were there at GDC; I can tell you as we set up the displays for this the day before, he played the game for a good four hours (while we were all setting up!) and was engrossed.  Having seen and played the game close up, I can tell you it’s really engaging and interesting.  Yes - David’s “bit” is that he tells REALLY bad jokes, and they’re so bad at times, they’re awesome.

All I can tell you is what I know and saw with my own eyes this week at GDC - but this game is solid, epic, and awesome.

Bt

This.

I would like to say I was just trying to learn about the game in case someone asked me about it, but damn it, I was just playing it. I don’t think the animations are perfect, but I’ve yet to see 3D models that are, the damn things always look slightly funky. It’s a great game.

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Not me though, a different grue.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Wow, I seemed to have missed a whole torch and pitchfork discussion here.  Tongue

I agree that it seems like some fine tuning of the animation have had to be cut based on the demo. This resulting in the occasional joint being in an odd angle. But this discussion seems to get a bit exaggerated in my book. The bug that comes after finishing the demo is something that should have a higher priority IMO.

So besides David stretching one of his shoulders a bit to far, what do people think of the story, characters and puzzles? You know, stuff that really matters.  Wink

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I played the official Act 2 demo a bit. Really liked the intro movie, the story/writing, deduction mini-game (easy, but having those along with other mini-games of such sort sounds pretty cool). The fan puzzle on the other hand felt unnecessarily simplified - everything needed for solving it was found around one location. I also disliked that the hero refuses to pick up certain items unless he is sure he needs them. I hate this modern game mechanics with all my heart, it is cheap, and it’s disappointing to see Jensen making use of it. Dialogues felt somewhat on the short side: only a couple of questions addressed to the bartender, after that he just shuts up forever. Maybe this is only the case with minor characters, but still, giving them some personality wouldn’t hurt.

I also disliked the town backgrounds that seem like a brown mess, not an “exotic Arabian town” like the hero suggests, especially compared to distinctive indoor locations. There’s certainly an “amateur vibe” about certain graphical issues. Then again, I don’t care that much for those and still expecting a grand adventure!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Jane’s post is classy in supporting Phoenix Online and I do agree that the budget they’ve worked on is tiny. I’d guess 300k after rewards which would average to around 30-40 man month for good salaries (and inside this, we have to account for PR work and a lot of other work which does not directly contribute to the game development). So yes, the budget is small and what’s been done is really good considering that…

As said too, I know I’ll enjoy it, the story is going to be great, the music is great and most of the background art is good and even better than a lot of budget titles.

The reason I’m harping on the character models and animation is 1) that the combination of the very unnatural proportions and the animation somehow creeps me out and me and I regularly notice it instead of just being drawn into the story 2) I believe that it might end up hurting the product sales which means less budget for the next game by Pinkerton Road.

If Malachi’s character model’s proportion had been a bit less unnatural (like for example Erica Reed’s in Cognition), I think I wouldn’t have noticed and probably wouldn’t have talked so much about it. I also don’t mind usually much lower quality graphics, it’s more the unnaturalness that bothers me.  I guess just a certain number of people like Ozzie and me directly notice this while some people might not see what the big fuss is about. I just hope that we’re in the minority and that this doesn’t affect sales too much.

I also criticize the QA for the demo because it might turn off potential buyers and hurt sales which ultimately is bad for everyone that wants more games from Pinkerton Road.

All that said, as Jane says, we’ll see how it goes and I do sincerely hope that it will be a huge success and that people will look past the few issues and just focus on the story, the puzzles and the music which after all are the meat of any adventure games.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

maladroid - 02 April 2014 02:53 AM

I am not calling Jane a liar or anything but would you expect her to say otherwise, even if, in her heart of hearts, she wasn’t satisfied with the end result?.

True…but I certainly wouldn’t expect her to still be working with Phoenix Online for the GK1 if she overall wasn’t happy with the Moebius result. True?

tomimt - 02 April 2014 02:20 AM

A bit of both from what Jane said. Don’t see you can read any more into it.

Doom - 02 April 2014 08:26 AM

I also disliked that the hero refuses to pick up certain items unless he is sure he needs them. I hate this modern game mechanics with all my heart, it is cheap, and it’s disappointing to see Jensen making use of it.

Have you played GK2? Does it also use “modern game mechanics” then? Because Gabe refuses to pick up certain items there too till it’s clear why he needs them. Seems sensible to me - the packrat (and kleptomaniac) adventure approach is not one I’m a fan of. But whether you like it or not, please don’t make out it’s a new approach which JJ is only now copying.

giom - 02 April 2014 09:12 AM

So yes, the budget is small and what’s been done is really good considering that…

Glad to see one of the critics can show balance and realise that. I do know what you mean re the character models, and yes, I do find them slightly offputting too, but that’s something we’ll all have to live with Wink

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-01-04

PM

I just finished playing the first two chapters and I regret it ... because now I have to wait until the fifteenth for the rest! Arrrrgh!

The character models and rigging do seem awkward in places, but I can’t say it bothered me much. The characters and story are engaging, and the soundtrack is excellent. (Especially loved that Malachai has a bitchy remark for every single piece of furniture and painting in the game. And the wire coat-hanger.)

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

DaveyB - 02 April 2014 01:34 PM

Have you played GK2? Does it also use “modern game mechanics” then? Because Gabe refuses to pick up certain items there too till it’s clear why he needs them. Seems sensible to me - the packrat (and kleptomaniac) adventure approach is not one I’m a fan of. But whether you like it or not, please don’t make out it’s a new approach which JJ is only now copying.

I don’t remember GK2 that well, although it had many design faults typical for FMV games that limited Jane’s imagination (which is why I’m not a fan of it, unlike 1 and 3). What I do remember is that Gabriel immediately steals a hanger in GK3. Yet Malachi refuses to do so in the same circumstances by saying “I don’t need it right now”. And then moves to the next screen and does the same to an oil can! This is what I’m talking about - making things linear for no particular reason.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Overall I didn’t think the puzzle design was anything special on what I saw in the demo. Most of the time I knew immediatly that some object was a solution to some puzzle, when I saw it. the deduction puzzles are something that might deliver a very pleasant surprise, as I really did enjoy the Venice chapter a lot, other than that Moebius seems to offer nothing more than your typical adventure puzzles.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Doom - 02 April 2014 02:12 PM

I don’t remember GK2 that well, although it had many design faults typical for FMV games that limited Jane’s imagination (which is why I’m not a fan of it

Don’t agree with GK2 in general, but that’s irrelevant. What’s relevant is that whether it’s an FMV game or not has nothing to do with whether Gaby chose to take things for zero reason. JJ chose nearly 20 years for him not to do that in GK2, hence to describe it as “modern game mechanics” is totally innacurate.

What I do remember is that Gabriel immediately steals a hanger in GK3.

Mmmmmm…that’s meant to be a good thing? Realism in adventure gaming? When was the last time you decided to steal a coat hanger?

Yet Malachi refuses to do so in the same circumstances by saying “I don’t need it right now”.

Now IF the wording makes it clear that he will need it in the future, then that’s flawed. But if it’s just “why do I want that?” (as with other objects which are indeed never needed) and give the player no impression that will change, then it seems extremely sensible to me (plus being a tricky puzzle at the relevant point). I don’t know when I last went around picking up coat hangers for no reason. Oil can? Depends on the situation I suppose. In some adventures, it would make sense for a character to take some along.

making things linear for no particular reason.

I don’t see how one is really any more linear than the other. In both cases you need to use the coat hanger to solve a future possible. Just in one of them your character only pick it up when it’s logical, in the other case your character acts like a mad kleptomaniac (though the best serious adventures always tried to give such actions an element of logic).

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

DaveyB - 02 April 2014 04:14 PM

JJ chose nearly 20 years for him not to do that in GK2, hence to describe it as “modern game mechanics” is totally innacurate.

Now IF the wording makes it clear that he will need it in the future, then that’s flawed.

“I don’t have a reason to carry around a wired hanger AT THE MOMENT”
“I don’t have a need for motor oil AT THE MOMENT”. And then returns to it in 10 mins.
I don’t recall such behaviour in GK2, except for several items Gabriel buys as soon as he needs them (which seemed logical, because, well, Gabriel is not a Rockefeller). But this “the time hasn’t come yet” is a 00s cliche. When you grab everything you want, at least you don’t know where and when you might need those items. Here the game cheats and breaks the 4th wall.

Mmmmmm…that’s meant to be a good thing? Realism in adventure gaming? When was the last time you decided to steal a coat hanger?

Why would I need realism in adventure (or any other) game? I want to do whatever I want in my games, without an invisible hand allowing or not allowing me to do this or that. Or at least not waving itself in front of my face.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah… that “you cant pick up things until you have a reason to” thing bugged me. Especially when its like “theres some change here. You cant pick that up until you think of a reason to have change, and surely you dont have change already in your wallet, even though youre a millionaire and logically there should be countless ways for you to get a couple of quarters”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top