• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

lakerz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obscure adventure game discussion thread

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-09-28

PM

Something else came to my mind. There was this couple of games I played quite often on the Amiga as a kid, was completely clueless but still kind of enjoyed the atmosphere and the fact that you have a different experience every time.

Murders in Venice.
You’re a detective and you have to stop a bunch of terrorists from blowing up the city or something like that. The game plays in first person but all you see is buildings sideways. Basically you click on buildings and talk to people; there are some arcade parts where you have to defuse a bomb or disguise yourself with fake mustache and such. The game is actually real time with events happening at specific times and places, and you should not miss them. Quite hard. Interestingly, crucial clues where given as physical objects in the game box!

Murders in Space.
Similar to the previous game, different developers, again physical objects are given as clues in the game box. The game takes place in a space station where you have to find a murderer before it’s too late. The murderer and chain of events change each time you start a new game so there is no definitive walkthrough to this. It’s a very hard game, but looks cool. I’d like to play it again if I ever find the original box with objects included in my basement.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 21 December 2012 08:47 PM

All the talk about Alice: An Interactive Museum makes me think that the developers just made a confusing game… Crazy

Confused? Heh. The title says it all: Alice: An Interactive MuseumTongue

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I used to play Murder on the Mississippi with my brother when we were young. We never did get very far. It had a note taking function which you could then use to start more conversations…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

Oscar - 20 December 2012 05:44 AM

Here’s one I have owned for many years but haven’t played, since I could never get it working on my PC. So obscure it’s not even on AG: Psychic Detective. But not really - I’ve seen it in bargain bins quite a lot in the late 90s.

I was surprised to get this particular game for my birthday from my dad as I was only about 13 and almost all the screenshots were sexual, which only made me more eager to play it Naughty

I still want to play it someday. From what I’ve read it sounds like it could be an interesting take on the interactive movie. Has anyone played it?

Psychic detective , i really liked the game. It is an interactive type movie. When i first play this , i was totally befuddled by the story but as i play the game more , more and more pieces are revealed and you begin to get the whole story. Loved the idea of jumping into random heads and seeing through their eyes.  Every game takes you maybe 30 minutes to complete since the story just continues on whichever head you are in. Some hokey acting aside , it is a fairly interesting unique game. Theres about a dozen endings - both good and bad. I think i got about maybe 6 or 7 of them at least by now. I also got the game on PSX which is great on big screen tv as it should be seen for FMV titles.
I’m still a bit stump on the black diamond game at the end. Not all the icons i have manaqed to figure out yet.

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

Drolin - 15 December 2012 06:02 AM

Thanks Fien for info, I will try Mode, which I have already installed Smile. As for Cosmology and Blue Ice, I also didnt finish them - actually dont know, if Blue Ice anyone finished (especially without walkthrough). And, didnt you play McKenzie & Co., which is in my opinion one of the most obscure adventure?  Grin

And I think, in this thread should be mentioned Commander Blood, the most obscure Cryo game, which tells you evrything.

Erm , isn’t MacKenzie & Co a FMV dating sim for girls ?!

Can’t get Piper to work on my XP.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

While I was cruising around on youtube I discovered this:

A Scooby Doo point and click game for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis.
I would really like to play it. Too bad I dont have a Megadrive. Neutral

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Drolin - 20 December 2012 04:05 AM
Dara100 - 19 December 2012 04:04 PM

Cosmology of Kyoto came in a beautiful small red box that I didn’t want to open for collectable value so I haven’t played it through.

Thats nice Wink. I surely woul not resist the temptation.

And anyone here have tried Gadget: Invention, Travel & Adventure (from the creator of Alice: An Interactive Museum)? I couldnt get it running on XP, but as it looks, its my cup of tea.

And is Blue Heat: The Case of the Cover Girl Murders any good?

Gadget info i came across from Del Toro(Pans Labyrinth, Pacific Rim director) podcast with Kenlevine, they discussed the similarities with Bioshock and how cool the ArtDirection was.

I am still waiting for Suda51 SilverCase western release, they released Flower Sun and Rain on DS but held Silvercase back. SC has much better art, story and amazing soundtrack, though mostly Visual Novel type , there are First person exploration and
puzzle solving elements.

PSX had plenty of japanese obscure games , have to go back to dig more , alas mostly were in Japanese like another gem Kowloons Gate

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

marshal99 - 24 December 2012 11:16 AM

Erm , isn’t MacKenzie & Co a FMV dating sim for girls ?!

Yes, it is! Laughing
But from what I saw, I must put it straight into obscure adventures heaven.

nomadsoul - 25 December 2012 10:47 AM

PSX had plenty of japanese obscure games , have to go back to dig more , alas mostly were in Japanese like another gem Kowloons Gate

Great find. Loving its soundtrack, but to this date I have never actually tried Kowloons Gate.

Also interesting game could be DOS Eastern Mind: Lost Souls of Tong-Nou, which for me looks quite promising.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

gboukensha - 21 December 2012 07:01 AM

There is a whole bunch of Japanese adventures that fully qualify as obscure to us, for obvious reasons. Do these count?
Worth mentioning:

Tokyo Twilight Busters. Originally a PC98 release, got a DS remake which might possibly reach Western shores. It’s a point-and-click adventure containing some real-time and action segments, plays quite well and has a nice atmosphere of mystery. Some rewarding puzzles are present, such as how to get it working with the emulator (without checking the walkthrough).

Man i need Tokyo Busters in english, never localized.Frown

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

How about… this?

Clearly a Hugo’s House of Horror clone. However, it’s getting harder and harder to learn about long lost and full, commercial adventures from the DOS era, yet this one resurfaced a couple of years ago. It even had a sequel!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

Japan do have a few obscure adventure games that was never brought over.

Some FMV ones ..

“Murder on the eurasia express” a japanese FMV murder mystery adventure for PSX

“The Fear” a FMV horror adventure for PS2. Playing as the “cameraman” , you have to explore the mansion, talk to all the people and save the remaining girls from the horror that exists within the halls.

“0 story” - a FMV romance for PS2. Given a 2nd chance by the angel of love , you get a 2nd chance as a ghost to protect and bond with your gf or something like that. Have a couple of irritating mini games though.

Joined 2009-09-28

PM

These FMVs sure look interesting. Straight into my list!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

marshal99 - 27 December 2012 02:11 AM

Japan do have a few obscure adventure games that was never brought over.

Some FMV ones ..

“Murder on the eurasia express” a japanese FMV murder mystery adventure for PSX

“The Fear” a FMV horror adventure for PS2. Playing as the “cameraman” , you have to explore the mansion, talk to all the people and save the remaining girls from the horror that exists within the halls.

“0 story” - a FMV romance for PS2. Given a 2nd chance by the angel of love , you get a 2nd chance as a ghost to protect and bond with your gf or something like that. Have a couple of irritating mini games though.

I remember Fear.

Here are few more

Voyeur II

FMV adventure , well acted, better script, proper sequel, hot babes, lies and deceit,
with adult scenes

Scandal

Great Adventure Visual Novel, breathtaking Animation by Production IG (Ghost in the Shell), PS2 japanese game.

And Finally One of the most eccentric, bizzare game with realistic story line , never made to the west though initially planned, released on Wii ware in Japan only

Discipline

http://www.1up.com/news/practice-discipline-wii

Really good interview

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/japan-digitally-speaking

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

Famicom Detective Club Part 2 doesn’t get enough mention. It’s a brilliant Japanese murder mystery for the Super Famicom* (SNES), and there’s an English fan translation patch for it as well.

If you enjoyed games like Snatcher and Ace Attorney, then definitely give this a go. ‘Part 2’ acts as the prequel, so playing ‘Part 1’ is not necessary.

*Originally released in 1989 for the Famicom Disk System, but was later remade for the Super Famicom as part of the Nintendo Power service in 1998

EDIT: Oops, got the name mixed up, should be called Famicom Detective Club. Amended.

gboukensha - 21 December 2012 07:01 AM

Tokyo Twilight Busters.

It’s a good game but the real-time segments is a bit of a hit-or-miss. By having multiple characters to control you can have different ways of resolving a puzzle, but the item hunting nature and time limit is a real pain.

Joined 2009-09-28

PM

I was kind of waiting a reply from Trickless on this Wink Actually I read somewhere that TTB comes in Adventure and Action modes (something like that), but I totally missed the choice in the PC98 version. Are they possibly referring to the DS release? I guess I’ll resort to a walkthrough as soon as frustration crawls in.

Gotta try the Tantei series some day!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top