• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckychrissiefurgottenJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ten reasons for you to try adventure games

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

TimovieMan - 10 December 2012 04:08 PM

I don’t agree with any of those points.

Foinikas - 09 December 2012 11:25 AM

10.It is the oldest PC game genre

Ever heard of Pong?

9.The low requirements

L.A. Noire and The Testament of Sherlock Holmes disagree.

8.The good(or easy?)learning curve

Depends on the game design. Too steep learning curve = bad design. This applies to ALL genres.

7.They are the ideal type of games to relax

Only when speaking of comedy games or casuals. Scratches and Amnesia for instance, are definitely not relaxing.

6.Because you grew up

That’s just insulting to all non-adventure games and gamers.

5.Your own Monkey Island 2(meaning you have a favorite adventure game classic)

So your favourite game classic in another genre no longer counts?

4.The magical feeling of exploration

True for all RPGs and sandboxy games, too, not just adventures.

3.The identification and bonding with the heroes(protagonists)

True for any game with a story, in any genre.

2.The adventure game stories are the best stories in the computer game genres

There’s good and bad stories in every genre, even the adventure genre. And other games can have good stories too. Just look at most RPGs or games like Uncharted.

1.The pleasure of solving a hard puzzle(or riddle)

Meh, I can get that from a crossword puzzle too…

The only valid reason to try adventure games is because it’s a great and diverse genre that has a lot of games you might like…

Tim,I thought you were a cool guy.Why are you using exceptions and ...how do you call it in english…nit-picking?Come on,you know these rules apply to the majority of the adventure games,so why whine and try to reject the post?Hmm?

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Origami - 11 December 2012 07:10 AM

Just because someone ensembled a list of reasons to play adventure games, doesn’t mean that these things are exclusively found in the adventure genre.

I know, but most of the reasons are pretty general and apply to a LOT of games, making it more of reasons to “play games” than to “play adventure games”.

I don’t know, but I had hoped for a bunch of reasons that applied specifically to adventure games (to make them stand out above the rest). And that list doesn’t really provide any.

Plus this one really rubbed me the wrong way:

6. Because you grew up

That’s really insulting on so many levels.

And this one:

2.The adventure game stories are the best stories in the computer game genres

implies that there are no bad stories in adventure games, and that stories in other games are automatically bad. Nuance much?

But like I said: the list on its own doesn’t give the author of that article a whole lot of credit, so I’d prefer to read his explanation for these 10 reasons instead. The full article could probably take away a lot of the criticism…

Also, I’m a lot less tired now than when I made that post, which means I’m a lot less grumpy right now… Tongue

Pan
Frown
Timo

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

If a reason is to be considered invalid just because it applies to more than one thing, wouldn’t that render just about any reason in the world invalid?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Agreed with Dag.Also,in the article they had a big explanation and examples on every reason but it’s just too much too translate and write here so…you’ll have to just look at the reasons instead.

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I have another one…

11. You’ll learn english really quick (if you’re in a non-english country) Smile

Looking into the dictionary all the time.. Smile

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

jannar85 - 11 December 2012 03:49 PM

11. You’ll learn english really quick (if you’re in a non-english country) Smile

That’s a very good one. Kings Quest 1 was my first English lesson Smile
The first word I learned was four-leaf clover… uhm, first three words, I mean Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I am actually improving my German by playing the Layton games in German.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I also learnt a lot of my English from adventure games. Although, sometimes it could lead to weird things. For instance, I was convinced for a very long while that “which” was the equivalent of “who” and “what” but for animals. That came from that scene in Fate of Atlantis in which Omar tells Indy that he’s left him a map and a camel, and Indy replies: “What map? Which camel?” Nerd

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
Well in your defense even native english speakers sometimes mis-use the language or are totally oblivious of a word that I am familiar with because of a game.

There are some native english speakers that call me crazy whenever I use the word ‘farther’. =P

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-11-29

PM

I have another one…

This also goes for the RPG genre(that’s partially where I learned my English - go, go, Baldur’s Gate!), but still a good point. Smile

I would point out these things, though:
1. One of the genres which focuses the most on stories, so there’s generally a higher amount of good stories compared to most other genres. (It’s like an interactive book, with nice pictures and music/sound to boot!)
2. Pointy-clicky adventure games are great for people who, for whatever reason, isn’t quite comfortable with the controls in other games. Basically the gameplay isn’t any harder than browsing Facebook. (Might be that they feel the controls are too hard, they might not enjoy reflex or accuracy based gameplay, etc.)
3. You can generally take your own time going through the game, instead of feeling you can’t stop until you’ve reached the next checkpoint, or whatever.
4. If you for some reason didn’t complete a game and have to play through it from the start, it usually won’t take you long since you know what you need to do - and there aren’t monsters that will kill a dozen times in a row because you can’t manage to put enough bullets in their heads before your life gauge is empty.

Ofcourse, there are exceptions to all of these points(like the adventure game where you have to stop a train before it crashes, there you’ve got a time limit), but I feel these points are mainly true for the adventure game genre, and for most of the games in the it. Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I have another one…

So true!

Adventure games and saturday morning cartoons. The origins of my (bad) english.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top