• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tale of Tales game out 12/12/12

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Surprised there has been no mention of this anywhere on the site. Well, not really actually since I didn’t find anyone who liked The Path much, but I did so I’m definitely checking this one out.

Here is the press release:

Much like its legendary predecessors The Path and The Graveyard, Bientôt l’été is a game that will raise eyebrows, if not provoke heated discussions. It is the fruit of the designers’ “notgames” philosophy that seeks to employ the medium of videogames for the creation of interactive art and entertainment not restricted by formal structures of rules, goals, challenges or competition. But that is not the only thing interesting about this release.

Bientôt l’été is designed the way it is because we felt it was the best way to address the themes we wanted to explore,” explain designers Michaël Samyn and Auriea Harvey. “The work is inspired by the novels and films of French author Marguerite Duras. It deals with love and loneliness, desire and despair, coyness and cruelty. We feel videogames provide an excellent medium to address such intricate and ambiguous subject matter.”

Bientôt l’été is not necessarily a difficult or depressing piece. You take walks on a beautiful peaceful beach among some lively gulls. And you meet another player in a café to exchange amorous thoughts via a playful game of chess. Then you discover another layer to the reality you inhabit and it becomes clear that you are interacting with a simulation. Indeed, when you walk far enough, you will find the sky torn apart to offer a view of the stars and the planets of a solar system you seem to be in orbit of.

“The sea is where Earth’s connection to the galaxy becomes most apparent,” Auriea and Michaël continue, “with the waves being pulled by the moon. But we also see the location of a remote space station as a metaphor for the situation of the player: alone in front of a computer, connected to the internet. We ourselves met each other in cyberspace 13 years ago and we fell in love without ever seeing each other. We felt an acute sensation of virtual bodies touching each other with words.”

Video clips:
Description of Bientôt l’été, attempt #6:

Description of Bientôt l’été, attempt #5:

The main website for Bientôt l’été is http://conte-des-contes.com/bientotlete.
There everyone can find information and screenshots and purchase the game.
The official website will go live on 12 December 2012.

Tale of Tales is a small independent studio run out of Belgium by Auriea Harvey & Michaël Samyn.
Bientôt l’été will available for download from http://conte-des-contes.com/bientotlete
The music was composed by Walter Hus.
The characters were animated by Laura Raines Smith. The text is spoken in French but subtitled in many languages.
Production of Bientôt l’été was supported by the Flanders Audiovisual Fund.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Oscar - 08 December 2012 08:13 AM

Surprised there has been no mention of this anywhere on the site. Well, not really actually since I didn’t find anyone who liked The Path much, but I did so I’m definitely checking this one out.

I liked the Path a lot and posted about it in the old forum. Two beautiful posters of Ruby and Robin are adorning my hallway upstairs. Thanks for the info!

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

That’s good. It’s odd I didn’t hear about this game until yesterday, because The Path created a lot of controversy and discussion at the time. Very excited now!

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

So anyone got it yet? Fien?

I’m still agonising over whether to get:
-The regular $10 game with no extra features or
-The $40 ‘extravagant’ version with ‘special’ hi-res textures and uncompressed sound, plus the soundtrack.

There’s also this:

It seems so unfair for Tale of Tales to offer us such a difficult choice Foot in mouth

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Oscar - 15 December 2012 06:20 AM

Yep, Fien got it. Smile Played all of five minutes to test it. And it will have to wait cause my computer broke down AGAIN! Gggggr. (I’m posting from my sloooooow XP with the terrible keyboard.) First impression: beautiful, but I had problems with the white words scrolling fairly fast on a white beach.

I’m still agonising over whether to get:
-The regular $10 game with no extra features or
-The $40 ‘extravagant’ version with ‘special’ hi-res textures and uncompressed sound, plus the soundtrack.

There’s also this:

It seems so unfair for Tale of Tales to offer us such a difficult choice Foot in mouth

When The Path came out, I bought two big posters (not folded, signed in silver, really nice) + the USB stick. I still love the posters, but I couldn’t get the expensive and beautiful stick to work on my computer. The cheap download worked okay, but not perfectly. That’s the reason I got the $10 download this time, I’m not taking any chances with any USB stick.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien - 15 December 2012 07:51 AM
Oscar - 15 December 2012 06:20 AM

Yep, Fien got it. Smile Played all of five minutes to test it. And it will have to wait cause my computer broke down AGAIN! Gggggr. (I’m posting from my sloooooow XP with the terrible keyboard.) First impression: beautiful, but I had problems with the white words scrolling fairly fast on a white beach.

There’s a simple solution to that - learn French! Smile

I really want the HD version. I just got a new gfx card apparently capable of Olympian feats and I’d like to to play an adventure game worthy of it. The screenshots look fantastic.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Oscar - 15 December 2012 08:52 AM

There’s a simple solution to that - learn French! Smile

Fien learned French in school. And English. And German. Plus one of the developers is Dutch (or Flemish), so Dutch text is an option too.

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top