• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Good 2D adventures?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-12-05

PM

I’m looking for good games.
I prefer the ones with voice acting.

Favorite Games: Blackwell Series, Gemini Rue, To the Moon, Yesterday.
Playing now: Gods Will Be Watching.
Next to play: Analogue: A Hate Story.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Resonance - Deponia 1 + 2 - Machinarium (no voices) - The Last Express (first-person) - Edna and Harvey

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2984

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Well, there are a lot of them these days. Most adventures from Daedelic (The Whispered World, Edna &Harvey; the breakout, Harvey’s new Eyes, The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, Deponia 1&2), Wadjet Eye (Resonance, Gemini Rue, Emerald City: Confidential) and Amanita (Machinarium, Botanicula, Samorost - although those don’t have voice acting). I’ll also add Anna’s Quest Vol 1 and Cognition part 1 that were rescently released.
They are all great and highly reccomended (the bold ones are my favourites).
There are many more older ones (like many instant classics from Lucas Arts and Sierra or the Neverhood that I am currently playing) but I guess you can find most of them from the “top 100 list”.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’d check through the top 100 for some awesome suggestions of the best the genre has to offer.

Some of my personal favorites is the first two Broken Sword games and Curse of Monkey Island.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

If you’re into cartoony humorous adventures, the following games are some of the best the genre has to offer. All of them features beatiful handpainted artwork and some of the best voice-acting you’ll ever hear:

Curse of Monkey Island: The nr. 1 game from the Lucasarts catalogue, and a must play for any adventure gamer. Many feels that Grim Fandango belongs in that position, but its visuals and inventory system is heavily inferior to Curse (Curse the 3D era! Tongue ), and the controls may be the worst I’ve experienced in any adventure game. I find this really, REALLY sad, because aside from those 3 things (visuals, inventory-system, controls) Grim Fandango is pretty much the perfect adventure. Before anyone starts flaming me for pointing out flaws in Grim Fandango, keep in mind, that they’re my personal opinions, though I somehow tend to find these to be extremely valid Tongue

Discworld 2: Superb british humour! Beautifully painted and a lovely envisioning of Terry Pratchetts world. A little dialogue-heavy, but then again, the dialogues are hilarious. The main character is voiced by Eric Idle of Monthy Python fame, and features many other brilliant british comedians.

Duckman: Legend of the fall/Adventures of a Private Dick: An incredibly charming little adventure, true to the show it’s based on. One of my funniest experiences outside of Lucasarts. Features Tim Curry (Gabriel Knight, Toonstruck) as the voice of Duckmans arch nemesis, King Chicken, which reminds me, you should also check out:

Toonstruck: One of the best adventures from the mid-nineties, great humour, awesome puzzles and stellar voice acting. The main character is played by Christopher Lloyd (back to the future) and his sidekick, Flux Wildly, is done by none other than Dan Castellenata (voice of Homer Simpson). The evil genius of the game is once again voiced by the superb Tim Curry.

Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity:
Another very well done adventure game-adaptation of an animated show. All voicework is done by the original cast (which basically consists of Mike Judge). If you are a Beavis and Butthead fan, AND an adventure gamer, and have yet to play this title, you have an awesome experience ahead of you.

Broken Sword 1&2:
A little more on the serious side, dealing with murder, mystery and conspiracies, it maintains a humorous undertone. These two games are widely regarded to have some of the best writing in the genre and comes highly recommended in any adventure game forum.

Now, these were all games from the mid-nineties, which in my opinion was the best years of adventure game history (though I’m having high hopes for 2013). If you want to check out some more recent adventures, you should take a look at the catalogues of Autumn Moon Games, Daedalic Entertainment and Pendulo Studios. All these companies are largely responsible for keeping handpainted adventures alive through the first decade of the 21st. century. You may also want to check out The Book of Unwritten Tales by King Art Studio. That being said, in my opinion, all newer adventures struggle to maintain the charm of the nineties.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Well there are quiet a few these days. Smile I try to mention a few that I like that have not been mentioned above. (most of the ones above are really good). You should try the Black Mirror trilogy, Lost Horizon, and maybe check out the Runaway trilogy. Those are all more “recent” adventure games. Also if you are into indie/retro looking adventure games, you could check out the Ben Jordan series (8 of them in total, and the last 3 or 4 are extremely good, the series starts out quiet slow though. FYI, It is only part 1,2, 7, 8 that have voice acting)

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-12-05

PM

So many games listed!
Played Deponia and find it very fun (looking forward to buy Chaos on Deponia), Black Mirror series looks really enjoyable and the nineties were great years, with good games (give me time and I’ll play’em all).
About Wadjet Eye: Their games are awesome! (no more words are necessary here =D)

Thanks for your recommendations, guys!

Favorite Games: Blackwell Series, Gemini Rue, To the Moon, Yesterday.
Playing now: Gods Will Be Watching.
Next to play: Analogue: A Hate Story.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For you, I’d highly recommend Broken Sword 2.5 - I liked it and highly recommend it to those who like 2D. Runaway would be a good choice too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Mikekelly - 15 December 2012 09:37 AM

For you, I’d highly recommend Broken Sword 2.5 - I liked it and highly recommend it to those who like 2D. Runaway would be a good choice too.

Heart

Let me throw my unsolicited two cents in here. Sure, go ahead, play Broken Sword 2.5 but only after you’ve played the first two BS games and only if you’ve fallen in love with George and Nico and can’t get enough of them. BS 2.5 is a fan project and it shows: uneven pacing, inconsistent art style, meh voice work, and some egregiously misplaced puzzles that do not advance the story one bit.

(Sorry, Mikekelly, I don’t mean to be a contrarian but that game bugged me when I played it so I thought I’d provide an opinion to balance things out.  Innocent )

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TerminusEst - 15 December 2012 08:13 PM

Let me throw my unsolicited two cents in here. Sure, go ahead, play Broken Sword 2.5 but only after you’ve played the first two BS games and only if you’ve fallen in love with George and Nico and can’t get enough of them. BS 2.5 is a fan project and it shows: uneven pacing, inconsistent art style, meh voice work, and some egregiously misplaced puzzles that do not advance the story one bit.

I was gonna say something similar, but I just got stuck in a rephrasing-loop, trying to find the least insensitive formulation. You did what I could not, TerminusEst! Tongue

Runaway is a good suggestion though. Smile

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

No love for Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers?

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

inm8#2 - 16 December 2012 02:05 AM

No love for Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers?

If it’s any consolation, GK1 is my favourite GK game. I’ll admit though, it’s a biased opinion, as I never took a liking to neither FMV nor 3D.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The recommendations here are good, just figured I’d add the recent “The Cat Lady” as a possibility as well.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Broken Sword 2.5 is an excellent game for the price (free). A better recommendation is Broken Sword DC and Gabriel Knight 1 - both well worth the purchase price.

Laughing

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top