• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Point And Click: An Adventure Game Podcast

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2018-08-20

PM

Hello fellow adventure gamers!

I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself to the forums - I’ve recently (back in late June) started up a podcast devoted exclusively to adventure games old and new, focused on both historical perspective as well as an in-depth analysis of the story / puzzle / gameplay elements of each game discussed.  It’s still relatively early in my podcast’s life (I’ve just released my 5th episode), but I’ve been encouraged to post here by one of the contributing authors / founders of the site, as the podcast might hold some interest for this community in particular.  Smile

I don’t intend this post as an advertisement or clickbait - I genuinely am excited to become a member of this community (long time lurker), and am hopeful that we can share similar adventure experiences together as a group of like-minded individuals. 

If anyone is interested, I’ve included a link to the podcast below.  Regardless of whether anyone decides to listen in or not, I am enthused by the opportunity to begin interacting with such an awesome and diverse group of people. I certainly intend to become an active member of these forums (and hopefully the adventure game community at large) - I look forward to getting to know you all!

Point and Click:  An Adventure Game Podcast (iTunes)

Direct link (Podbean)

Sincerely,

Tony (neophyte podcast host but long time adventurer)

Point and Click:  An Adventure Game Podcast
Direct Link (Podbean) | iTunes

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Nice.  I’m always looking for more podcasts to listen to during my daily commute.  Will be checking this out shortly.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

do you have any other options besides Itunes

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 August 2018 01:19 AM

do you have any other options besides Itunes

+1

I don’t use iTunes or anything Apple related. I listen to many podcasts but if there’s no direct download or YouTube option, then I really don’t bother no matter how good those podcasts may be.

Also, I must say that your idea is brilliant, at least in theory. A while back I was looking for adventure-related podcasts, and found that there are practically speaking none. The non-active Space Quest Historian and Two Guys from Andromeda podcasts seem to be the only ones out there + a couple of YouTube channels which may or may not count.

I am interested, but there’s a fundamental problem with adventure game podcasts. You don’t want to reveal the plot too much or give away solutions to puzzles, but if you don’t, what are you going to be talking about? Is it game review kind of thing? In that case those podcasts are probably going to be very short? Or is there going to be many games in every episode?

I prefer my podcasts to be around 1-3 hours long, so that there’s lots to listen when sitting on trains or taking long walks or whatever. I like some TV related podcasts where they analyze every episode to bits - sometimes even getting a two hour long podcast out of 25 minute episode…  Crazy But all those are designed so that you first watch the episode, and then listen to the podcast. For some reason, I would like game podcasts to go the other way round.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

It’s listed on Pocket Casts, Spotify & DoggCatcher but I’m not sure how people consume their podcasts these days.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Your best bet is soundcloud - it’s free, it’s huge, it has a good mobile app. Good luck, will listen to this when I get a chance!

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

dumbeur - 21 August 2018 02:59 AM

It’s listed on Pocket Casts, Spotify & DoggCatcher but I’m not sure how people consume their podcasts these days.

I cant find it on spotify

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Looks awesome! I will subscribe!

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 August 2018 11:22 AM
dumbeur - 21 August 2018 02:59 AM

I cant find it on spotify

Opps, my bad.  It is not currently on Spotify! (But I’m sure OP is on the case as we speak Wink )

Joined 2018-08-20

PM

Hi again everyone - it’s great to see so many people interested in the podcast!

My apologies for the delay in responding…I thought I was set to receive email notifications when anyone replied, but it looks like I either flubbed that up, or I missed the notes via some email tomfoolery.

To address all of your comments / questions:
-  I use Podbean for hosting…a direct link to the podcast’s homepage is here.  I’ll update the original post to include this info as well…I had put the iTunes link for simplicity, not realizing the potential for other avenues for consumption.  Smile
-  I’m working to publish the podcast RSS feed to various services, including Spotify…I should get that posted soon!
-  As for the podcast structure itself, each episode (usually between 2-3 hours) consists of three parts - historical perspective (with minimal spoilers), a “talkthrough” (which is in-depth, and literally discusses the entire game), and a closing, where I provide my final opinion and rank the game in my personal “Pantheon” of adventure games. In this way, those who want to avoid spoilers can, while individuals who want to experience nostalgia (or go deeper into the game itself) can choose to do so.

I look forward to speaking with you all, and I hope you all enjoy the episodes!

Tony

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Started listening today.  As a surprise to no one, I started with the Gabriel Knight podcast, and am really enjoying it.

With the music and the descriptions of the various scenes it feels like I’m replaying the game as I’m commuting to and from work.  Needless to say, this is quite an improvement from my usual routine.

A random aside: I don’t know which is true, but I’ve heard the story of Tim Curry’s hiring differently.  I believe what I heard is that after various auditions that didn’t work out, Jane said she wanted someone that sounded like Tim Curry to voice the character, and then someone in the room said that they actually had a connection to Tim Curry himself, through his agent or something like that, and could possibly get him.  And then it went from there.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Point_And_Click_Cast - 21 August 2018 06:36 PM

-  As for the podcast structure itself, each episode (usually between 2-3 hours) consists of three parts - historical perspective (with minimal spoilers), a “talkthrough” (which is in-depth, and literally discusses the entire game), and a closing, where I provide my final opinion and rank the game in my personal “Pantheon” of adventure games. In this way, those who want to avoid spoilers can, while individuals who want to experience nostalgia (or go deeper into the game itself) can choose to do so.

Man, this sounds enticing. 

It may even encourage me to play/replay/finish some of the games you feature so I can listen along.

Good luck with it! Smile

Joined 2018-08-20

PM

Detective Mosely - 21 August 2018 08:36 PM

A random aside: I don’t know which is true, but I’ve heard the story of Tim Curry’s hiring differently.  I believe what I heard is that after various auditions that didn’t work out, Jane said she wanted someone that sounded like Tim Curry to voice the character, and then someone in the room said that they actually had a connection to Tim Curry himself, through his agent or something like that, and could possibly get him.  And then it went from there.

Interesting…I hadn’t heard that,  but it certainly sounds possible. Either way, greatness ensued.  Smile

It’s cool to hear about the creative process when it comes to casting, with one of the more interesting situations (non-game related) being Tom Selleck as the original choice for Indiana Jones. I just can’t picture Magnum PI swinging from a whip (just as I shouldn’t have to picture Shia Lebouf swinging from vines)...

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Point_And_Click_Cast - 23 August 2018 07:05 AM

It’s cool to hear about the creative process when it comes to casting, with one of the more interesting situations (non-game related) being Tom Selleck as the original choice for Indiana Jones. I just can’t picture Magnum PI swinging from a whip (just as I shouldn’t have to picture Shia Lebouf swinging from vines)...

Selleck couldn’t get out of his Magnum P.I. contract and thus was unavailable, which led to Ford being cast instead.
Selleck could have worked too, imo. He also had that “badass smart guy” and “loveable rogue” charisma. That, and the world’s most awesome mustache. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-08-20

PM

TimovieMan - 23 August 2018 10:42 AM

That, and the world’s most awesome mustache. Cool

I can’t deny that one Smile

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Okay, I’ve listened to more of the podcast and I have to correct you on one more thing. Yum  Major GK1 spoilers this time.  (Though anyone that calls themselves an adventure gamer and hasn’t played Sins of the Fathers should feel ashamed)

It seems like you misunderstood what happened regarding the heart at the African site.  Wolfgang’s heart wasn’t magically removed, and it had nothing to do with it happening at the moment that Gabriel stabbed the mummy.  Wolfgang himself cut out his own heart to use it to get the talisman back.  As soon as he saw that it needed a heart, he knew he’d need a living one and he knew how he was going to get one.  He just told Gabriel to get the heart from a mummy as a way to get him away for a second to allow him to do what he felt he had to do.  You can hear the change in the voice acting (in the original, at least) and the dialogue the moment he realizes it, making it a really powerful scene to replay.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top