• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

In My Day…

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

* we played computer games on monochrome monitors with only text, and we liked it!

* our games came on floppy disks, and we liked it!

* games cost $30, and we liked it!

* there wasn’t any internet. we got together at monthly meetings. and we liked it!

* coin-op arcades had the best action games. and we liked it!

LOL

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Tell us more stories of your youth grandpa! Smile

(just joking. I remember those days too…)

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

If there’s one thing I don’t miss about my Amiga it’s changing out floppys constantly.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Grue - 28 November 2012 05:21 AM

* we played computer games on monochrome monitors with only text, and we liked it!

Yes! I had this lovely, utterly silent, Atatri ST with the best monochrome monitor ever.

Eh… yes and no, I was very happy with my 3.5” floppies at home, and hated the fragile large ones at work.

Not in the Netherlands. The normal price range was 80-100 Dutch guilders for text adventures in the mid eighties, early nineties. That’s 30-36 Euros by today’s standards. So adventures actually got a lot cheaper.

* there wasn’t any internet. we got together at monthly meetings. and we liked it!

Yeah, in those days I still knew a lot of people who played adventures. Now I don’t. Frown Before I got connected to the Internet I also read the Questions-and-Answers columns in computer game magazines. Lots and lots of gaming magazines to consult! In the store, without buying them. Innocent And once, just once, I was stuck for such a long time and so frustrated that I called the Sierra help line in the middle of the night. 

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Sefir - 28 November 2012 05:26 AM

My grandpa was actually the one who introduced me to adventure games (having played ADVENT and DUNGEON on the mainframes he worked on at work), and he was just like this, but worse. “We used to use metal washers for RAM and it took 2 HOURS to load a single kilobyte” and whatnot.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

your day is our day and that is days long before the day of the tentacle Grin

in these days we did a o lot Diskettes swapping and i… hated it, but i did it anyways for the Love of those days

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Frogacuda - 28 November 2012 08:06 AM

My grandpa was actually the one who introduced me to adventure games (having played ADVENT and DUNGEON on the mainframes he worked on at work), and he was just like this, but worse. “We used to use metal washers for RAM and it took 2 HOURS to load a single kilobyte” and whatnot.

The only Star Trek game I’ve ever played was on a Burroughs B6800 mainframe circa 1979. One memorable Boxing Day (I was the only person on duty) I completely wiped out all Romulans, Klingons and all Vegan Forts without needing a new Starship Enterprise (lose your ship too often and you got hung as a traitor!).

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

How’d u know,maybe a gran like Fien.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Grue - 28 November 2012 05:21 AM

I just missed this period. I remember some computers still having monochrome monitors, but most games already had visuals. When I got a computer myself, the VGA-era had already arrived.
I’ve enjoyed all progress on these matters, so “the good old days” doesn’t really apply for me. I like modern day visuals better (which doesn’t mean I dislike old graphics or text, though).

I had a few programs on those big 8” soft floppies, but never games. My earliest games came on 3.5” hard floppies.
I don’t miss constant floppy-switching. I don’t even miss constant CD-switching. Welcome to the DVD/BluRay-era!

30$ was about 1500 Belgian francs back then. That sounds about right.
When adjusted for inflation, games STILL cost as much. 30$ then is easily 60$ now. That’s the price of most AAA console titles here.
Luckily, adventure games have become quite a lot cheaper since then! Thumbs Up
Unless they were written by Harlan Ellison… Naughty

This I never did. Pre-internet I was still in school, and the only people interested in the same games as I was, were classmates. No need to get together at monthly meetings if you see each other every weekday.

* coin-op arcades had the best action games. and we liked it!

Add racing games! Coin-op arcades had the best action and racing games! Oh yeah!
It’s actually sad that arcades are but a shadow of what they were in the ‘80s. I liked them. Still do.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Oh yeah? Well I had to walk 15 kilometres to the adventure game shop in bare feet in the snow in the freezing cold, and after working for a whole year in the coal mine for only 20 cents a day and selling both my kidneys on the black market to a used organ dealer the only game I could afford was Simon the Sorcerer 3! Cry

Beat that!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Zifnab - 28 November 2012 12:07 PM

Oh yeah? Well I had to walk 15 kilometres to the adventure game shop in bare feet in the snow in the freezing cold, and after working for a whole year in the coal mine for only 20 cents a day and selling both my kidneys on the black market to a used organ dealer the only game I could afford was Simon the Sorcerer 3! Frown

Beat that!

Shifty Eyed
excuse me Zifnab if that is sarcasm ?. then i never had heard any before

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

LUXURY!

Im my day, we had to fabricate discs out of rolled up newspaper, having got up half an hour before we went to bed… Wink

I still have a fair few games on floppy disc. Can’t remember the last time I had a floppy drive though!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Intense Degree - 28 November 2012 12:23 PM

I still have a fair few games on floppy disc. Can’t remember the last time I had a floppy drive though!

If you’d like one ID I have 32 internal 3.5” floppy drives sitting on one of my shelves. I also have 1 external USB drive as well but you ain’t having that!  Tongue

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Advie - 28 November 2012 12:20 PM
Zifnab - 28 November 2012 12:07 PM

Oh yeah? Well I had to walk 15 kilometres to the adventure game shop in bare feet in the snow in the freezing cold, and after working for a whole year in the coal mine for only 20 cents a day and selling both my kidneys on the black market to a used organ dealer the only game I could afford was Simon the Sorcerer 3! Frown

Beat that!

Shifty Eyed
excuse me Zifnab if that is sarcasm ?. then i never had heard any before

I certainly hope so! if I had sold both my kidneys I wouldn’t be alive! Grin

(assuming playing nothing else but Simon 3 hadn’t killed me already) Smile

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Jabod - 28 November 2012 12:27 PM

If you’d like one ID I have 32 internal 3.5” floppy drives sitting on one of my shelves. I also have 1 external USB drive as well but you ain’t having that!  Tongue

To be fair I think I still have an old 386 PC kicking around in my attic with dual floppy drives and windows 3.something or other loaded and ready to go!

Failing that I could always dust off the old Amstrad CPC 6128. Bow before its 128k of pure brilliance Spectrums and C64’s! Although to be fair, that didn’t use floppy discs.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Intense Degree - 28 November 2012 12:23 PM

LUXURY!

Im my day, we had to fabricate discs out of rolled up newspaper, having got up half an hour before we went to bed… Wink

You had it good then! Games in my time were so expensive, the only thing we could afford to eat after buying one was lumps of poison. And whenever my father caught me playing a game, he would kill me and dance on my grave!

In reality, my father disapproved of choose-your-adventure books but not of computer games. I still think that’s strange. Grin I also didn’t get a computer until relatively late (summer of 2000) and had a lot of catching up to do. I still do.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top