• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

what with the spam adds day and night?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it has been increasing lately, i see admins removes those posts and threads, of course, but now or at least lately it has been going none stop!, i know its difficult to control, but 1st i wanna know what happens with those fake members whose just registering to do so. do they get banned because there is one member without mentioning his name had started with those adds and now he is adventurer member posting in threads and all, 2nd is there a way that could admins add like a question, a simple question at the registering process, like “MI stand for?”...  so hardly anyone who is only willing to apply without any knowledge for adventure to make one of those spamming adds won’t be able to do so?

Thanks in advance.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Most of the latest spam relates to sports, which may have been triggered by the World Cup thread.  We delete the threads and ban them as they occur.  CaliMonk has been looking trying to find other ways to deal with this.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I like Advie’s idea about asking them an AG-related question but obviously the issue here is denying spammers without damaging traffic or content.

It might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to send new member account threads to moderation but maybe limit them to starting one thread initially?

I’m curious as to where these spammers tend to originate from.  It seems like such an inefficient and unprofitable way of doing things (even if one has the morals of a crooked snail).

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 16 August 2018 12:58 PM

Most of the latest spam relates to sports, which may have been triggered by the World Cup thread.  We delete the threads and ban them as they occur.  CaliMonk has been looking trying to find other ways to deal with this.

I don’t know if it’s feasible with the software or not but how about auto rejecting any post that carries http or www in the title? That won’t completely stop the problem of course but it would kill quite a few right now and at least make the idiots doing the spam think again. I was going to include / in the auto reject but then I noticed that I’d used that in one thread title myself Smile Mind you, there’s no reason why it couldn’t also be banned; it’s not exactly difficult for forum members to deal with that.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

We can delete spam members (and nuke all their threads) with just a single click, so if they manage to create ten threads at once, they’ll be gone just as fast as if they’d only created a single thread.

There are already fields in the registration process to make it harder for bots to register, so all those spammers are actually real people behind a keyboard. For all the good it’s doing them…

I’m not a fan of moderating all newcomers (if they can’t post immediately, they won’t stay), and not allowing them to start threads will hurt the influx of members that just start out asking for a hint or a quick recommendation. We’ll just keep banning them as we see them.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 16 August 2018 03:55 PM

We can delete spam members (and nuke all their threads) with just a single click, so if they manage to create ten threads at once, they’ll be gone just as fast as if they’d only created a single thread.

Which doesn’t seem to be very fast at all, no offence to the mods intended,

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

cyfoyjvx - 16 August 2018 06:24 PM
TimovieMan - 16 August 2018 03:55 PM

Which doesn’t seem to be very fast at all, no offence to the mods intended,

You’re not even getting to see all of them though; we’re zapping them before they get chance to post anything.

Other thing to consider, we’re not always here.  When we are, they’re all cleaned up fairly quickly, but we don’t have 24/7 coverage of the forum.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It is difficult to vet new members with a site as busy as this one.  Before we activate an account at Mystery Manor, we send out an email with a couple of questions regarding adventure games to anyone who registers.  However, it’s not an automatic process.  It’s fine for a few registrations a week, but not practical here.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Maybe add a couple moderators to deal with it in different timezones?

I work all kinds of hours and I’d be willing (and happy!) to zap obvious spam assuming that’s the only thing I had to/could do.

None of this to seem ungrateful for all you guys do btw.  Love this site; love the drama. Heart

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

More mods might help, but continuing to play whack-a-mole with dedicated spammers really isn’t a good long-term solution.

Then again, it’s possible the sudden influx might die down. These things tend to come in waves.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Curious if you guys can add a recaptcha system to forum posts and registration. That should stop spammers in their tracks.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

There already is one in place for registration. Our current spammers are getting through that with no issue.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top