• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Upcoming adventure games in August

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 08 August 2018 08:38 PM
badlemon - 08 August 2018 11:42 AM

5-star AG review. It might turn out epic after all.

Please give your definition of “Epic.” My definition includes the fact that a great game has stood the test of time. Grim Fandango is epic. MYST is epic. I might even go so far as to say a game I hate, TLJ, is epic. But a five-star review on the first day of release does not equate with epic. Time will tell. As only time can.

I kind of agree. I am sure the game is “ridiculously huge and detailed” but that is not enough for me. I don’t feel the emotional and intellectual interest in this game that I got from Blackwell and Technobabylon, and demons, mages and ghouls don’t interest me at all. So I will wait and see for now.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

rtrooney - 08 August 2018 08:38 PM
badlemon - 08 August 2018 11:42 AM

5-star AG review. It might turn out epic after all.

Please give your definition of “Epic.” My definition includes the fact that a great game has stood the test of time. Grim Fandango is epic. MYST is epic. I might even go so far as to say a game I hate, TLJ, is epic. But a five-star review on the first day of release does not equate with epic. Time will tell. As only time can.

I think this is one of those discussions which are doomed to be drowned in their own subjectivity. Like the “why L.A. Noire is considered an AG” thread. Too much focus on terms which everybody understands in a different way. For example, your explanation of “epic” defines “classic” in my case. I would use epic for something that spreads over a larger scale. In adventure game logic it would stand for a massive story line, lots of characters, drama, probably a big journey through various locations. Epic could stand for something original and innovative as well. No need for a test of time here.

As far as Unavowed goes, obviously neither of us can state whether it is epic or not until we play it. I said it might turn out this way, basically to make a harmless joke about the fact that way too many definitions are said for a game that is not even released. (or at least it wasn’t at the start of this discussion Smile )

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

badlemon - 09 August 2018 09:16 AM

I think this is one of those discussions which are doomed to be drowned in their own subjectivity. Like the “why L.A. Noire is considered an AG” thread. Too much focus on terms which everybody understands in a different way. For example, your explanation of “epic” defines “classic” in my case. I would use epic for something that spreads over a larger scale. In adventure game logic it would stand for a massive story line, lots of characters, drama, probably a big journey through various locations. Epic could stand for something original and innovative as well. No need for a test of time here.

^ I subscribe to this definition of ‘epic’.

Time will tell if something will become a *classic* or not. Epic is what I use for events on a large scale. One of my favourite movies of all time, 12 Angry Men, is a classic, but it’s not epic because it’s basically a single-room play. Another favourite, Ben-Hur, is both epic and a classic.

Based on the many vastly different screenshots of Unavowed, it looks epic indeed. Yet time will tell if it becomes a classic or not…

Ah, semantics. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

By that definition a classic must be good enough to withstand the test of time. On the other hand an epic can be vast, huge, expansive and still be a critical and box office disaster. Think Reds or Heaven’s Gate. So I guess I can buy into that definition that the game may be epic, but might not be good.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 09 August 2018 05:23 PM

By that definition a classic must be good enough to withstand the test of time. On the other hand an epic can be vast, huge, expansive and still be a critical and box office disaster. Think Reds or Heaven’s Gate.

Exactly!
And sometimes you just *know* something will withstand the test of time, hence the term “instant-classic”. Cool

Btw, I don’t recall Reds being a critical disaster. Heck, it won 3 Oscars out of 12 nominations. Unless you’re talking about the remake?
And I personally think Heaven’s Gate is vastly underrated. But that’s another discussion entirely… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

No, Reds was a critical success, but a box office disaster. Heaven’s Gate was both. But I admire you liking it. There are more than a few clunker movies I have an affection for.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1642

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Beat unavowed its not epic, but than again i dont think any wadjet eye game is “epic” the last time i got epic feeling from an adventure game, was either broken sword or blade runner

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top