• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

West, East Europe and USA devs, different approaches to adventure gaming

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I ve noticed maybe not today, but long while ago that the three main regions in the world behind adventure gaming back then and now have always total different approaches to gaming in general (we are only here to talk about adventures) from Light or Tech stories that seem to be US speciality (in general speaking, again to confirm my sayings) and they seem also to lean on the idea of changing the gameplaying style from the controls and for consoles to the recent wave of ttg trademark of storytelling over gameplaying too.

On the other hand, i think there is a big difference between East and West Europe if we look at the most of companies that started creating adventures in the eastern Europe esp. at the start of this Millennium like; Future Games & Centauri Production(Czech) to Bloober Team(Poland)..etc they lean absolutely on the classic formula on the 90s and also on serious story-telling, i don’t remember any humor adventures ever came from East Europe

West Europe loves fairytales and Lucasarts* Smile with some stories that take place in the same universe we are living too, lately with Daedalic(Germany), before it sealed itself down the bunker, gave the Deponia humorously adventure and Edna and Harvey what i can call sumthing awkward like a Psychological-Humor, but its the same if we look at Deck13 or King Art; fairy tales, a bit of humor and Lucasarts.

Not far from Geramny Mircoids(Italy) who gave two of the best IPs of this Era/Millenium Syberia & Still life, stayed away from fairytales or Tech-Games (or Sci-Fi) were they used real earthly universal (i cant put my hand of the word, but i mean games that happen at a world that absolutely as ours) but with a bit of twist in Syberia that leaned on melting real-world atmosphere with a pinch of fairytale(ing). Pendulo’s(Spain) also with their two top IPs Yesterday and Runaway as they were also a bit cartoony they meant to happen in a real world.

i write this to see if my vision to those three regions is right or wrong, you are welcome to throw trash all over what i said or to agree with it, or to give your own vision, which absolutely that latter would be the best of choice and action of the three.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2018-05-24

PM

Thats totally true! What I somehow doubt is if its refers to the developers or the market own taste?
I mean, where those different kind of games got most sales?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

For the first part of your quote; but isn’t developers (in most cases) taste is a reflection of its own region.

The 2nd part needs one needs to gather a lot of info to answer it, but from what is stored on my head, Eastern Europe market can easily (always) melt within the West as long as they have values of production of German, French voice-overs, but if they only have them subtitled that a pretty downfall success element unless the game success echoes hard enough, and i don’t know if anyone dev in the world would be sure about this to tackle with or risk it. If Microids haven’t taken in mind The Germans beside the US citizens from the start they wouldn’t have done any good, and they might have waited years until they came up with a new IP rather than Syberia to reach their current financial power to recruit (i.e) Pendulo’s studio.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Advie - 25 May 2018 07:58 AM

i don’t remember any humor adventures ever came from East Europe

Probably best not remembered:
https://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-gag/

Also probably best not remembered:
https://www.gog.com/game/ad_2044

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Phlebas - 29 May 2018 05:35 AM

Are we forgetting about the Red Comrades series?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Luhr28 - 29 May 2018 06:47 AM
Phlebas - 29 May 2018 05:35 AM

Are we forgetting about the Red Comrades series?

sure we do.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Amanita is Czech, and all its games totally qualify as humorous. GAG and Full Pipe are uniquely silly ags from Russia, and TeenAgent is a little Polish gem from mid-1990s.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top