• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sierra “favorite…” lists

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i guess its not a bad idea to to start it here or at least why not,Heart Eyes

I would like to start the blog with a bunch of some Cliché What(s)

WHAT is your Sierra’s ...

Best/fav Designer/Developer
Best/fav Adventure
Best/fav Series  
Best/fav Hero
First ever played Adventure  
Last Played or (re) Adventure  
Most Replayed Adventure
Best Text-Phaser Adventure
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure
Overrated Adventure
Underrated Adventure

and last:
Name an Adventure came after 1999 that felt Like Sierra.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Advie - 05 November 2012 09:12 PM

i guess its not a bad idea to to start it here or at least why not,Heart Eyes

I would like to start the blog with a bunch of some Cliché What(s)

Best/fav Designer/Developer Scott Murphy 
Best/fav Adventure Police Quest 2-Leisure Suit Larry3 
Best/fav Series Leisure Suit Larry 
Best/fav Hero Roger Wilco
Best/fav Villain Sludge Vohaul
First ever played Adventure Leisure Suit Larry1
Last Played or (re) Adventure   Gabriel Knight 2
Most Replayed Adventure there no one adventure actually but almost all SQ’s
Best Text-Phaser Adventure Leisure Suit Larry2
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure (by that order) Ecoquest1/Iceman/Manhunter1
Overrated Adventure kings Quest6
Underrated
  King’s Quest 4/LightHouse

and last:

Edna and Harveyand it simply because i get lost while i am playing
1st i dont know how get to one point i was at a while ago and
2ndly not every hot spot there is about solving a puzzle, sometimes things are just there like the old times of sierra.
and also that might I forget what task i am after, still it doesn’t mean i will be wandering through locations skipping scenes one after the other when I am lost but instead every one screen there is has a lot possibilities, even if they aren’t so.

Edited

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Best/fav Designer/Developers - I’ll be a gentleman and say Roberta Williams and Jane Jensen
Best/fav Adventure - GK2
Best/fav Series - GK
Best/fav Hero - Adrienne Tongue
First ever played Adventure - GK2  
Last Played or (re) Adventure - King’s Quest 7
Most Replayed Adventure - haven’t replayed much
Best Text parser Adventure - Larry 7
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure - anything before GK1 is frustrating, really
Overrated Adventure - /
Underrated Adventure - King’s Quest 8, Torin’s Passage

Al Emmo. The Whispered World felt both like Sierra and LucasArts.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

i guess its not s bsd idea to place it here or st least or why not,

I would like to start this and to start the blog with a bunch of some Cliché What(s)

Best/fav Designer/Developers - Jane Jensen 
Best/fav Adventure - Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
Best/fav Series - Gabriel Knight 
Best/fav Hero - uhhh, Gabriel Knight? Wink 
First ever played Adventure - King’s Quest 1 
Last Played or (re) Adventure - Space Quest 6, I think (haven’t replayed Sierra games in a long time, since the Vivendi releases in 2006, but I’ve watched youtube playthroughs on occasion) 
Most Replayed Adventure - GK series or Shivers 1/2
Best Text-Phaser Adventure - Police Quest 2
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure - Urban Runner
Overrated Adventure - Leisure Suit Larry? not sure otherwise
Underrated Adventure - Shivers series or Police Quest 3

and last:

Wink

The Blackwell Series. Also shout outs to Gray Matter and Cognition, but I’m a little biased.

Advie I love your enthusiasm. I can’t keep up with all your polls and surveys!

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2005-04-18

PM

oh, fun!

Best/fav Designer/Developers - Jane Jensen
Best/fav Adventure - Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
Best/fav Hero - I see a pattern starting to develop here… guess!
First ever played Adventure - Larry Laffer
Last Played or (re) Adventure - Last released game I played, Gabriel Knight 3—Last replayed adventure. Hmmm Gabriel Knight 2.
Most Replayed Adventure - Gabriel Knight 1. Used to play it again every time I had a new sound card Smile
Best Text-Phaser Adventure - Space Quest 3/Police Quest 2
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure - Rama
Overrated Adventure - There’s no such a thing in the Sierra catalog Smile
Underrated Adventure - Shivers.

and last:

uh…. hmmm… Resonance/Gemini Rue? they are a bit more like LucasArts, really.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

cesarbittar - 05 November 2012 11:00 PM

Overrated Adventure - There’s no such a thing in the Sierra catalog Smile

Then its my bad,...... really! Pan

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

When I discovered Lucasarts (or Lucasfilm as they were called back then), I strongly preferred their style over Sierras, and whenever I feel the hunger for a solid dose of nostalgia, I seldom find myself searching my Sierra catalogue (over the years, I’ve developed a strong allergy towards dead ends, and death scenes isn’t something I’ve been missing either). That being said, I still LOVE most of Sierras titles, though some more than others.

Best/fav Designer/Developers: I never gave this much thought back then, but looking back, I’d go with Al, Scott and Mark.

Best/fav Adventure: As a kid, my favourite was undoubtedly KQ3, closely followed by SQ1. These days however, I think KQ6 is the one I appreciate the most. I also loved Love for Sail, but today I find its interface a bit too quirky.

Best/fav Series: Very difficult to answer.. I guess if I must pick one, I’d go for Kings Quest… or Larry… or Space Quest…

Best/fav Hero: Without a doubt: Roger Wilco.

First ever played Adventure: Kings Quest 1. Apart from a text adventure based on The Hobbit, KQ1 was not just the first Sierra game, but the first adventure game I ever played.

Last Played or (re) Adventure: Currently playing LSL7.

Most Replayed Adventure: Not sure, but I think it might be Police Quest 1.

Best Text-Phaser Adventure:
KQ3.

Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure:
For some reason, I’ve allways thought that The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble was a Sierra title, and I remember that as the most frustrating adventure game I ever played. Only recently did I learn that it’s actually not made by Sierra, so now I don’t really know. None of Sierras titles even comes close to that level of bizarre and frustrating.

Overrated Adventure:GK2

Underrated Adventure:I believe their best titles got the praise they deserved.

Name an Adventure came after 1999 that felt Like Sierra. Again a bit difficult to answer, as I’ve mainly been looking for adventures that feels like Lucasarts, but I remember thinking about Sierra more than once while playing Gemini Rue. I see most people here mentioning Al Emmo, but I only played it for a few screens before deciding that I didn’t like it, so I dont quite remember what it felt like (except that it didn’t feel good).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Best/fav Designer/Developers  - Jeff Tunnell for tackling a wide variety of genres successfully
Best/fav Adventure -  Bugs notwithstanding, I always thought of Quest for Glory IV as a benchmark for atmosphere and storytelling. Such a good game.
Best/fav Series - Space Quest
Best/fav Hero - Roger Wilco
First ever played Adventure - Larry 6
Last Played or (re) Adventure - Space Quest 5
Most Replayed Adventure - Larry 7, there are so many secrets to uncover (figuratively and literally) in that game. There was a point where I was actually fooling around with the actual game files to see how that would change up the experience.
Best Text-Phaser Adventure - Space Quest III
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure - King’s Quest V
Overrated Adventure - GABRIEL KNIGHT, I’m joking, I’m joking. I don’t know what to say here. It’s popular to pick on Sierra today making it hard to pick something out as overrated but some of these King’s Quest games are tortuous and yet the fans would complain if Sierra made them more merciful like they did in King’s Quest VII.
Underrated Adventure - Heart of China or Rama

And a game that feels like Sierra post-1999…. Easy, the fan made VGA remakes. Grin

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Best/fav Designer/Developers Jane Jensen with hats off to all the supporting characters who did most of the work such as Josh Mandel.
Best/fav Adventure Shivers 1
Best/fav Series Gabriel Knight
Best/fav Hero Larry Laffer
First ever played Adventure Kings Quest 1 
Last Played or (re) Adventure GK: Blood of the Sacred. Blood of the Damned.
Most Replayed Adventure Shivers 1
Best Text-Phaser Adventure Police Quest ?
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure Codename: Iceman
Overrated Adventure Space Quest 5
Underrated Adventure Shivers 1/Lighthouse/FPFP

and last:

Name an Adventure came after 1999 that felt Like Sierra. Al Emmo

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-11-06

PM

Best/fav Designer: Jane Jensen
Best/fav Adventure: A tie between King’s Quest VI and Gabriel Knight 2
Best/fav Series: King’s Quest
Best/fav Hero: Graham
First ever played Adventure: King’s Quest I, way back in 1989. 
Last Played or (re) Adventure: Gabriel Knight 3.
Most Replayed Adventure: King’s Quest VI.
Best Text-Phaser Adventure: I’m not a huge fan of the series, but Leisure Suit Larry 2 was a highly enjoyable text-based adventure. King’s Quest IV was also very good.
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure: Gabriel Knight 3 could be quite frustrating in places. King’s Quest VII was also a disappointment in places.
Overrated Adventure: King’s Quest VII.
Underrated Adventure: Leisure Suit Larry 2.
An Adventure came after 1999 that felt Like Sierra: The Longest Journey had some elements in it that made it feel like being back in the land of Daventry.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Best/fav Designer/Developers   Guys from Andromeda
Best/fav Adventure             SQ5
Best/fav Series               QFG
Best/fav Hero               Freddy Pharkas
First ever played Adventure       KQ5
Last Played or (re) Adventure     Goblins 3
Most Replayed Adventure         Castle of Dr Brain (as a child)
Best Text-Phaser Adventure       SQ
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure Police Quest
Overrated Adventure           King’s Quest 6
Underrated Adventure        Conquest of Camelot

and last:

Al Emmo (didn’t much like it)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Can I answer these again after I’ve played KQVI and the Gabriel Knight games??? Innocent

Best/fav Designer/Developers:
Roberta Williams, with honorary mentions for Al Lowe and Josh Mandel.
Jane Jensen is still largely an *unknown* for me, because I’ve only played Gray Matter (non-Sierra) and just started playing KQVI. Please don’t kill me now… Gasp

Best/fav Adventure:
It’s a tie between Phantasmagoria and Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail for me.
They’re the only ones I’ve given four stars (out of five) to. There’s quite a few Sierra games that I’ve never played and a good few that I had to quit because I was hopelessly stuck (in my pre-internet days), though.
Have I already told anyone that I preferred LucasArts over Sierra??? I’m not sure I have… Tongue

Best/fav Series:
Leisure Suit Larry, because that’s the series I’ve enjoyed the most over the years. Never finished 2, 3 and 5, though (stuck pre-internet).

Best/fav Hero:
Larry Laffer, by lack of a better option. I don’t want to pick someone that’s only been in one game, and I haven’t played enough of the other series to have another character qualify… Tongue

First ever played Adventure:
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards is the very first adventure game I ever played and thus the one that introduced me to the genre. It took Fate of Atlantis to really get me in the genre’s grip, though.

Last Played or Replayed Adventure:
King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder. Played (and finished) it for the first time in May this year. Next up (well, after the Community Playthrough of The Space Bar) is King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow which I’ve already checked out for about an hour or so (in which I died only *once* - and I even saw it coming for a change).

Most Replayed Adventure:
Either Phantasmagoria or Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, as I’ve played them both three times. LSL should win, though, since I managed to actually *finish* that three times. Phantasmagoria had me stuck on a game-breaking bug in Chapter 5 or 6 twice. Only managed to bypass that last year (or two years ago, I forget).

Best Text-Parser Adventure:
Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail, because I’ve grown to seriously dislike the text parser over the years, and that game has the least amount of text parser out of all the text parser games.
Pointing and clicking and not having to constantly fight with the parser is SO much easier…

Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure:
Worst: I can only think of one Sierra game that was so frustrating and bad that it made me want to quit immediately (while not stuck), and that was the first Space Quest game…
Frustrating: every single one of them that was made before KQVI. I hate deaths in adventure games, and I *REALLY* hate dead ends. And early Sierra was filled with them…
Obscure: all the Sierra games I’ve never heard about (and there’s bound to be quite a few - Manhunter, Urban Runner, Rama were already mentioned here - never heard of those)

Overrated Adventure:
Space Quest! I never got to finish it because it was just TOO brutal with the deaths and dead ends. Seriously, of all the games I’ve ever played, this is the one that made me want to punch through my monitor the most. The fact that I didn’t find it the least bit funny didn’t help…

Underrated Adventure:
Freddie Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist, which is actually a pretty fun game, despite it rarely getting mentioned here. I rather enjoyed this game, and one of its chapter titles (“The plot sickens!”) has since become part of my daily vocabulary. Tongue

Name an Adventure that came after 1999 that felt Like Sierra:
I mostly go looking for games that *don’t* feel like Sierra, so this is a difficult question for me. The closest I can think of is probably Gemini Rue because of the 90’s graphics and a few deaths, but it never really struck me as “like Sierra”. But since I can’t think of anything else, it’ll have to do… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Best/fav Designer: Jane Jensen
Best/fav Adventure: GK 2
Best/fav Series: GK
Best/fav Hero: Hmmm…I think that Larry was the only Sierra Hero I really liked (haven’t played any KQ games though…)
First ever played Adventure: LSL 1
Last Played or (re) Adventure: I rescently started playing the Space Quest series.
Most Replayed Adventure: GK 1
Best Text-Phaser Adventure: I’m going to say LSL 7 (beats the 1st in details)
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure: Phantasmagoria 2. Not because of the deaths, but mostly for the story which I found trully ridiculus.
Overrated Adventure: Surely GK3. With crappy 3D model graphics, too predictable character development as well as story, very bad controls of both the characters and the camera while there were many cases of pixel hunting and illogical puzzles makes me wonder how this game is considered great by the majority of the community.
Underrated Adventure: LSL 4 Smile
An Adventure came after 1999 that felt Like Sierra: Gray Matter felt VERY much like a Sierra game. And that’s good.

TimovieMan - 08 November 2012 06:28 AM

Next up (well, after the Community Playthrough of The Space Bar) is King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow

This is going to take months!! Tongue

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Best/fav Designer/Developer: The Coles for the Quest for Glory series. The amount of freedom it had combined with the feel of an adventure game has never been done better than this series, even to this day. They could tell a wonderful story as well.

Best/fav Adventure: Quest for Glory 2: Just a really epic game and an adventure with a huge atmosphere, very much worthy of being called an “adventure” game.

Best/fav Series: Quest for Glory: Like I said, an amazing series.

Best/fav Hero: The obvious choice is the nameless Hero from QFG, but instead I will go with Roger Wilco. He’s the ever-fallible bumbler you can always relate to.

First ever played Adventure: Gold Rush. I don’t remember much about it, except it got me into Sierra games.

Last Played or (re) Adventure: Gabriel Knight 3 

Most Replayed Adventure: Quest for Glory: Every game is different, whichever character you play.

Best Text-Phaser Adventure: Quest for Glory, of course!

Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure: Police Quest was frustrating. If you have played it you will know what I mean. All the rules and regulations you have to follow… maybe I’m just not a good cop Grin

Overrated Adventure: Leisure Suit Larry. It doesn’t really matter which one, I don’t enjoy them. Maybe I don’t have a filthy enough mind.

Underrated Adventure: Ecoquest doesn’t get mentioned much. Even though it’s an educational game and can be tedious at times, the graphics are really nice and unlike some other Sierra games I won’t mention, has a good message to it.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Best/fav Designer/Developer - Jane Jensen
Best/fav Adventure - Gabriel Knight 2
Best/fav Hero - Gabe
First ever played Adventure - KQ2 in 1986 on my Atari ST
Last Played or (re) Adventure - don’t remember, either Freddy Pharkas or Conquest of the Longbow. Loved them both.
Most Replayed Adventure - GK series
Best Text-Phaser Adventure - KQ3
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure - Phantasmagoria 1 and that non-adventure KQ8
Overrated Adventure - SQ series
Underrated Adventure - Conquest of the Longbow

Name an Adventure came after 1999 that felt Like Sierra - don’t know

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Best/fav Designer/Developer: Jenson, J
Best/fav Adventure: Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers
Best/fav Series: Gabriel Knight
Best/fav Hero: Well, I’ll let you work it out!
First ever played Adventure: One of the King’s Quest games at a friend’s house. Can’t even remember which one now.
Last Played or (re) Adventure: Laura Bow 2
Most Replayed Adventure: GK1
Best Text-Phaser Adventure: Hmmm, maybe KQ4
Worst/Frustrating/Obscure Adventure: Frustrating - KQ1. Unbelievable. Otherwise maybe Lighthouse.
Overrated Adventure: KQ8. OK so it wasn’t highly rated in the first place but even so…
Underrated Adventure: Shivers or maybe Torin’s Passage.

and last:
Name an Adventure came after 1999 that felt Like Sierra: A Tale of Two Kingdoms did quite well at re-catching that “Sierra vibe”.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top