• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #47 - Life is Strange

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Advie - 05 June 2018 09:46 AM

...intense too a good degree…

Smile

So… chapter 1.

Firstly, I completely agree with chrissie and Mikekelly, the game looks wonderful and the VA is really good too.

I love the way the quality is apparent right from the very first landing screen. A view of a coastal town (Arcadia Bay) with some stand out buildings. The trees sway and leaves flutter in a breeze. Sunlight plays on the sea as waves break on the shore. It feels peaceful and relaxing, but the more you watch you see that the breeze isn’t gentle. It’s definitely not blowing a gale, but it’s whole trees that are swaying, not just branches. Beautiful, but not boring!

The intro is great. First that lighthouse bit where we establish we’re in 3D (hope the motion sickness is OK chrissie!) and can enjoy the AAA feel of the game. The way Max reacts to the rain around her really makes it feel wet and windy, much more so than in lower budget games for my money.

I love the way that, when we get to the classroom, a lesson is going on but there is plenty to do and interact with. Then the scene in the bathroom where we learn the time travel mechanic and the opportunity to practise it again afterwards in the classroom. It is a tutorial but a really engaging one as we are dealing with a literally life or death situation.

Got to mention the soundtrack too, I think it’s great. That bit when max puts in her earphones walking down the corridor outside the classroom almost seems iconic to me, really showing the timid nervous perspective of Max leaving the comparative safety of the classroom and the ‘scary’ goings on of the other students. Any concerns I might have had that a man in his late 30’s will have difficulty getting into the mindset of a girl in her late teens vanish and I am 100% with her as a quiet nerdy person watching all the ‘cool’ people do their things.

One of the things I find so rewarding about the game is the amount of background information around you, things and people to look at and talk to. For a first playthrough you can skip as much of it as you want and still get on fine, on a replay for someone who really wants to sink deep into the gameworld it gives so, so much!

Where characters are just standing or lying around on grass or wherever there are always interesting interactions and maybe a time travel trick or two. The place just feels so alive, but at the same time so calm. The sun shines and my Max just potters around the lawn trying to negotiate the intricate social struggle that is being a teenager.

In terms of minus points, I suppose you might say there is very little in the way of puzzles (in the sense of traditional adventure game puzzles) with only a couple of inventory style puzzles and nothing really approaching a difficult puzzle. It’s not a complete breeze through though, getting past Victoria and into the dorms took some exploration and thinking about for me first time through. Nice environmental puzzle.

I’m going far too long already, but just want to say about choices. The game lists four major choices in this episode (and many more minor) - which did you pick? Here are my major ones: (no spoilers below if you have finished episode 1). Also just because I’ve played before doesn’t mean that the answers below are “correct” or “better” than any other responses just in case you’re worried. Max in my game is My version of Max and I know how she acts, not how your Max does!

Report Nathan or not? - Yep
Make fun or comfort Victoria - Comfort
Intervene between David and Kate or Hold back - Intervene
Take blame for Chloe/stay in the closet/etc. - came out and took the blame

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for the report! I enjoyed reading it.

It is good we have hit adventure games like this one. Detroit: Become Human is also a big hit - with actual commercials on TV!

So, let’s try to get episode 2 done by June 16th, that gives time for those still playing episode 1 time to catch up.

Advie - please stay with us, if all you can do is post some opinions about what others are posting I would be quite happy with that - I know you have opinions and you can also just watch the game on YouTube.

Better that than nothing.

To me, episode 2 I saw where this adventure really gets going - so I am looking forward to reading all the comments on it.

I gotta wait, but it will be worth it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2016-02-02

PM

Just finished episode 1, and enjoyed it a lot. It felt a bit like Telltale’s The Walking Dead (Season 1 at least, which is all I played), but with great voice acting and beautiful artwork as others have noted as well as the obvious differences in setting

As someone who was in high school in the 80s, the game does make me feel a bit old. Smile But not in a way that keeps me from relating to Max or getting immersed in the story at all.

I won’t discuss any plot or anything at the moment because I am getting ready for a trip (though I did figure out how to post spoilers! on this site just now), but I’m definitely going to keep playing (I played this episode for free on Steam, so time to go buy the whole thing). I’m glad that I was able to get in on the community play!

I will say that I made the exact same set of choices that you did, Intense Degree.  Smile

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

MogChothra - 06 June 2018 01:46 PM

I will say that I made the exact same set of choices that you did, Intense Degree.  Smile

Cool, I wonder if we’ll keep making the same choices?!

chrissie, Mikekelly, how about you guys?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The fun of this game is trying out different choices to get different outcomes. The game actually has different endings depending on what you have chosen.

Yes, I did get a different outcome myself. I won’t say anymore. I also got the same outcome as intense degree as I made the same choices on one playthrough of the game - I have played the game several times.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I am really sorry Mike but there were suddenly a burst of great new games; one after the other and another…etc, that i cant or could not catch my breath to join here as i said. and as much as i hate it to acknowledge this, but all i can say is i am sorry* i couldn’t do what i said i would. Frown

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 09 June 2018 09:33 AM

I am really sorry Mike but there were suddenly a burst of great new games; one after the other and another

Such as? I have played most of the new releases and the only game which could come close to being called “great” was Unforeseen Incidents.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 09 June 2018 10:19 AM
Advie - 09 June 2018 09:33 AM

I am really sorry Mike but there were suddenly a burst of great new games; one after the other and another

Such as? I have played most of the new releases and the only game which could come close to being called “great” was Unforeseen Incidents.

Earthworms was followed by Unforeseen Incidents and Dick.Gallo, then Detroit and The dark inside.
i know what you are meaning, as they are all not as good as UI, but they are all my type; Dark*, 3rd person adventures. add their releases back to back in a short period of time is something i have not witnessed for a while.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Intense Degree - 05 June 2018 11:02 AM

Report Nathan or not? - Yep
Make fun or comfort Victoria - Comfort
Intervene between David and Kate or Hold back - Intervene
Take blame for Chloe/stay in the closet/etc. - came out and took the blame

To answer your question Intense Degree
I didn’t report Nathan - I did to start with then changed my mind as I thought it would make too much trouble for Max
I comforted Victoria
I intervened between David and Kate
I stayed in the closet as I thought it might make things worse for Chloe if I came out and took the blame  Smile

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Mikekelly - 08 June 2018 09:44 AM

The fun of this game is trying out different choices to get different outcomes. The game actually has different endings depending on what you have chosen.

From a personal perspective, I don’t think that’s quite the same for me. Although I have gone back and tried out different choices, there are some choices that feel ‘right’ or which I am invested in emotionally which mean that the alternatives feel ‘wrong’ or unsatisfying. I won’t name names or spoil anything here but maybe as we get to them…

chrissie - 09 June 2018 01:46 PM

To answer your question Intense Degree…

Cool, some similarities, some differences, looking forward to seeing how we all match up!

I really liked the way that hiding in Chloe’s cupboard and her step-dad comes in did actually make me feel a bit like a sheepish teenager who was about to be caught doing something he shouldn’t be! That mix of wanting to stand up for your friend and not wanting to get in trouble… I think that’s one of the ways this game captures the feelings and experience of the protagonist really well.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It is fun in this game to go back and try for the best outcome when you feel you didn’t make the right one the first time.

However, when you play the game several times its fun to see if you made bad choices what can happen to you.

Heart

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Doing this play through with my younger brother. It’s my third time playing the game in total and it’s a lot of fun seeing his fresh reactions to everything. He’s really enjoying it so far as well. We’ve had a bunch of fun pointing out how much of a jerk everyone at Blackwell is. I don’t think there’s a single surface in the game that doesn’t have insult graffiti’d onto it.

Still love everything I’ve loved about this game before and it’s a lot easier for me to just laugh off it’s faults, like the occasionally cringey dialogue, now that I know they’re coming.

LiS is close to my ideal blueprint for modern episodic adventure games. Heavy narrative focus & branching choices but there’s still a ton of exploration and some light puzzle solving.

If i had it completely my own way I’d probably bump up the puzzle difficulty or maybe offer a hard mode for genre fans. Still, I think they struck a great compromise for the mainstream.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, how is episode 2 going? Well, I hope. Let’s shoot for finishing episode 3 by June 27th.

This gives those playing episodes 1 and 2 plenty of time to catch up.

Episode 3 is one of my fovorites, several great puzzles I enjoyed solving and lots of story development too.

This great game only gets better and better.

Heart

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now finished Chapter 2.  I loved the new environments of the diner & junkyard. 
I especially liked the use of the rewind feature in the diner as a test of observation but I kept getting it wrong until I thought to pan around to look at the jukebox!.
I confess to finding [spoiler] looking for the bottles[[/spoiler] in the junkyard tedious but mainly because of the interface giving me slight motion sickness. I did think there was too much trial & error in this part of the game on helping Chloe to shoot the bottles & later free her from the track but again I may have found this more enjoyable with more comfortable gameplay.

The real strength of the game for me has continued to be, apart from the graphics, animation & voice-acting; the quite powerful story & the range of feelings it evoked in me towards various true-to-life characters,  & the very real actions & consequences of bullies & bullying.
Chloe’s mother I thought was reflective of some women who remarry, bury their head in the sand & blame the behaviour of their husband on their wayward child rather than see the reality
On that subject the underlying mystery beginning to emerge is very intriguing!   

Choices I made were:
Told Kate to wait for more proof
answered Kate’s call
Tried to shoot Frank
Couldn’t save Kate – I was gutted!
Blamed Nathan

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

First Apologies. I have far too much to say about this episode in far too much detail, so please feel free to ignore the next posts!

Chapter 2

So we’re back at the Title Screen and it’s not sunny anymore. Although the town stands out more, it looks a bit drab and practical rather than the calming summery haze of the day before.

We have the t.v. like ‘Previously on Life is Strange’ section, useful when you’ve had to wait for the episode to come out!

Scene 1

Staying in bed and ‘snoozing’ that alarm, is there anything more teenagery?! I love the fact that the game has moments like this one. Get up when you’re ready, just enjoy being in the game world and in the sleepy head of the protagonist for a while! If you do wait a while you get a nice little line of internal monologue to further ‘plug you in’ to Max.

OK, so, make the bed or don’t, have a poke round the room or not, go and have a shower… WAIT A MINUTE, did David Cage sneak into the production studio at some point?! Wink Seriously though, I wish he had, because for me, this is the everyday, mundane things of life done right in a game. In heavy rain, the boring everyday things really did feel pretty boring and every time someone gets into a shower in a David Cage game it feels gratuitous. He could learn a lot here.

Somehow, in this game, the making of the bed and the picking up of shower essentials gives me a warm glow. I am participating in Max’s day to day life in this world and I love it. Somehow it is intimate without being creepy or sordid. Similarly, in the showers it doesn’t feel gratuitous. Max is getting clean and that’s it.

I like the texts Max receives too. Some gardening advice from Mum, some re-ordering of the food chain from Victoria, some arrangements to meet from Chloe. Here I am, living alongside Max.

Kate’s Video

Boy am I glad that the internet and social media wasn’t a thing when I was a teenager with everyone carrying around filming equipment. I can’t imagine having every detail of my teenage life preserved electronically for everyone to see in perpetuity.

Given that they are all teenagers, I don’t suppose Victoria understands the extent of how nasty what she is doing is but I’m not making excuses for her. Publicly humiliating someone is not OK. I suppose this is the reality of what teenagers live with today and it’s horrible.

It’s clear from her room that Kate’s family are a long way from a Christian family, whatever they might profess. There is no love there, only judgement which is the last thing she needs right now. With all the high drama of being a teen, her room has turned into a gloomy depression hole, and turned inward upon herself, she sees only darkness and closed doors and windows around her.

Outside, Warren is still trying his luck with Max, but my Max is having none of it. Don’t misunderstand me, Warren is a nice guy but firstly, she doesn’t like him that way and secondly she just isn’t interested in any romantic/sexual relationship with anyone at the moment.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top