• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is replaying old AGs, feels enjoyable than playing new ones?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Veovis - 20 April 2018 06:18 AM

I’m currently replaying the GK series and at least the third one, which I’m almost finished with for the sixth or seventh time

Six or seven times! And I thought I was a diehard AGer…  Mini Smile

I applaud you, sir Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2018-04-10

PM

Dara100 - 17 April 2018 03:43 PM

I keep my old game comps because some very old games will only play on the hardware they were designed for and on downtime I sometimes crank up the old PacBell with 64KB ram running Win 1.3 and play Sam ‘n’ Max Hit The Road which has to be loaded from a ZIP Drive (remember those ?) and is still as much fun as ever.  I remember paying a king’s ransom for a second stick of ram which bumped it up from 32KB the comp came with.  Good times.

Wow that’s quite extreme, starting up a 64KB machine in 2018 to play some old games! But also very awesome Grin I don’t tend to play old games any more. I dual-boot one of my Windows 10 machines with WinXP on the offchance I ever need it, but I had too much of a hard time just trying to get the ‘old’ games working on a Win98 machine back in 1999 to ever try nowadays. I imagine it’s either much easier to do (because of things like virtual machines, and people writing instructions on the internet of how to do it successfully), or much much harder.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

burnsflipper - 20 April 2018 07:24 AM

I don’t tend to play old games any more. I dual-boot one of my Windows 10 machines with WinXP on the offchance I ever need it, but I had too much of a hard time just trying to get the ‘old’ games working on a Win98 machine back in 1999 to ever try nowadays. I imagine it’s either much easier to do (because of things like virtual machines, and people writing instructions on the internet of how to do it successfully), or much much harder.

It’s quite simple to make old games work in modern computers thanks to DosBox (not too hard to use, especially with a front end) and ScummVM (extremely easy to use, and supports a very extensive library of games, adventure games mostly).
I think maybe 1 or 2% of old games present a real challenge providing you’re using both DosBox and ScummVM.

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Oscar - 20 April 2018 06:26 AM
Veovis - 20 April 2018 06:18 AM

I’m currently replaying the GK series and at least the third one, which I’m almost finished with for the sixth or seventh time

Six or seven times! And I thought I was a diehard AGer…  Mini Smile

I applaud you, sir Thumbs Up

Thanks! Laughing

I should add that GK3 is by a wide margin the game I have completed the most number of times. The second on that list is probably Riven with three or four playthroughs.

I generally play games only once though, so we are not in complete disagreement in principle.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My record is 4 times for Hotel Dusk. I just love that game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I have replayed so many games, I can’t keep count. they are like old friends. seriously, I think I have played Simon the Sorcerer 1 at least 100 times.  so, for me, the old games are more enjoyable. Maybe because I don’t have to think too hard?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

mbday630 - 20 April 2018 08:23 PM

I have replayed so many games, I can’t keep count. they are like old friends. seriously, I think I have played Simon the Sorcerer 1 at least 100 times.  so, for me, the old games are more enjoyable. Maybe because I don’t have to think too hard?

well, i think i know how top you are at playing adventures, it doesn’t need Tex Murphy to tell,  but certainly, 100 is just matter of speech.
but you nailed it tho, ‘old friends’?, damn right they are, old, close from the first degree always and there when needed. hmmm ... tho some had fallen off the cliff, hope they are alright.

‘not having to think hard’?, i think they have much deeper a way of grabbing someone again; you, first of all, know that how the game’s puzzles are, are kinda they for a lite afternoon, or they are intense and need a certain to play it (i.e) another time when you have to spend hours thru their puzzles.
anyhow its all about the game being clear to you, no surprises, no review needed! they old friend and don’t need some to tell you about them.  Wink

i feel you said what i was struggling to get off my mind for why they are more enjoyable when replayed, and of course, it is the 1st first replay that is best of all, but i like to give some time, even if they are urging me to replay them. and they are.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The second playthrough can take some of the shine off your first time - this is true. However, you may find something that eluded you the first time around.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

No Advie, I wish I were kidding but seriously, at least 100. If I am feeling blue, I play Simon 1 and play probably 5 times a year since it came out. Also, I am sure that I have played Day of the Tentacle 100 times. That takes me 45 minutes and if I am just waiting for the potatoes to boil or something, I will play that. They are old friends to me and I play them all the time. Sins of the Fathers probably 20 times too. I like my old games, I guess.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I figured that if I replay or discuss my favourite games too often, I start losing interest in them - the gameplay becomes all too familiar, rushed and “mechanical”. This includes remakes as well (playing the original Gabriel Knight after the remake was a bad idea). But if I don’t approach a game for like 5-7 years, I may replay it and get a similar vibe and almost the same kind of enjoyment I felt the first time around. Not that I suddenly forget the whole plot and puzzles. I think it’s all about smaller things, like separate scenes, dialogues, jokes, maybe some background art or musical compositions spread throughout the game that resurrect my old instincts. Or maybe I’m getting sentimental with years.

P.S. All of this goes for other genres as well. I’m not a fan of replaying Doom every now and then, for example, despite I love that game. I’ll need good 5 years to enjoy it to the fullest.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 21 April 2018 06:15 PM

I may replay it and get a similar vibe and almost the same kind of enjoyment I felt the first time around. Not that I suddenly forget the whole plot and puzzles. .

but you don’t get find yourself suck at the same puzzle after 7 years from your first play?? because i do, and the funniest thing that i get stuck for the same reasons that accorded to me before, and then i say to myself, that it is who am i afterall.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 21 April 2018 10:50 PM

but you don’t get find yourself suck at the same puzzle after 7 years from your first play?? because i do, and the funniest thing that i get stuck for the same reasons that accorded to me before, and then i say to myself, that it is who am i afterall.

I sure get stuck! The aforementioned Gabriel Knight, for example - each time I stumbled across the wall code or the clock puzzles, I just felt lost and ran around in cirlces. So embarrassing, but this happens.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 22 April 2018 01:34 PM

I just felt lost and ran around in cirlces. So embarrassing, but this happens.

nahhh, its not embarrassing at all, it IS 7 years away from the 1ST play… lol i can forget my son (if i had one) in a while this long Tongue

but seriously.. the joy in replaying any adventures is in knowing how far and safe you are, eventually, you play a game you already like it, you know what it is, where it sucked, what kinda of puzzles it is, and also feeling that if you had have solved them/it before without a walkthrough, you are gonna solve again or you no matter what. or you need to admit you getting older Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top