• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelTimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are your game-stoppers?

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would consider the final SQ6 to be an example. The 3D maze. My friend Josh, who was a co-conspirator in the game design, told me that the puzzle designer, himself, didn’t know how to solve it. Thus the game could not be completed without the benefit of a walkthrough of a specific end of game puzzle.

Who knows how long that anonymous person took to create that WT. I didn’t wait for it to appear on some BB site, which was all that we had at the time. It was a good game up to that point. And then it became forgettable and unplayable.

Now it has been a long time since I played the game. So I may be mistaking SQ6 with SQ5, but the comment remains the same.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m sure it wasn’t SQ5, I finished that without any problems. I also don’t remember any maze in SQ6 aside from the information highway, which wasn’t that difficult. Was it inside of Stellar?

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Sir Beardalot - 12 April 2018 11:00 PM

Probably the biggest one for me are sliding tile puzzles… ugh!!! Fortunately a lot of developers will add a way to skip them.

Sliding puzzles are pure torture!
Other than that:
- illogical puzzles,
- too much irrelevant dialogue that I’m forced to click through in order to not miss important clues. It’s just tiring. The story has to be REALLY good for that to work,
- comedy games that I don’t find funny.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Anything that involves reflexes or timing. No amount of WT help can make my fingers faster.
Next would be dialogue trees. I avoid games with them now, because they never seem to have the choice I would say. And, they are boring to read through.
Illogical puzzles - goofy solutions just to use up inventory items.

Am I the only one that likes sliders? I have an app and play them for fun.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Games that force you to retrieve so many items before you can use any of them used to drive me around the bend, especially if they were never used.  Fortunately I don’t see much of that anymore.

Recently I played a casual game who’s name I can’t recall that was actually fun except that you had to wait an annoying amount of time before you found a useful item, but then it needed at least three more pieces which of course you had to slog around to get from ridiculous places only to find out it still wouldn’t work. grr

I also hate nonsensical puzzles that you have to solve without having a clue why you need to.  I’m looking at you, The Wardrobe.

Colpet, I actually like sliders, too.  Once you know the trick to solving them they’re easy.

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2018-02-14

PM

Cheshire Cat - 17 April 2018 06:48 AM

Probably the biggest one for me are sliding tile puzzles… ugh!!! Fortunately a lot of developers will add a way to skip them.

Other than that:
- illogical puzzles,
- too much irrelevant dialogue that I’m forced to click through in order to not miss important clues. It’s just tiring. The story has to be REALLY good for that to work,

I couldn’t agree more, I hate sliding tile puzzles and there’s rarely, if any, logical justification for having them in the game. The worst example by far is probably this monstrosity from the Whispered world:

that not only uses a complicated abstract pattern and twice the usual amount of tiles of these type of puzzles, but to add insult to injury it’s also randomized, so when you finally give up and look at a walkthrough, the solution other people use will be completely different from yours. I wanted to play the Whispered world because of a good story and exploring gorgeous scenery, not because I wanted to play with a digital version of the most annoying toy in existence.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Blondbraid - 24 April 2018 10:55 AM
Cheshire Cat - 17 April 2018 06:48 AM

Other than that:
- illogical puzzles,

I couldn’t agree more, I hate sliding tile puzzles and there’s rarely, if any, logical justification for having them in the game. The worst example by far is probably this monstrosity from the Whispered world:

that not only uses a complicated abstract pattern and twice the usual amount of tiles of these type of puzzles, but to add insult to injury it’s also randomized, so when you finally give up and look at a walkthrough, the solution other people use will be completely different from yours. I wanted to play the Whispered world because of a good story and exploring gorgeous scenery, not because I wanted to play with a digital version of the most annoying toy in existence.

LOL. That’s exactly the one I wanted to post to illustrate the word “torture”, but couldn’t remember which game it was from. I finished the Whispered World though, so it was either skippable, or the walkthrough worked.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2017-10-25

PM

Agree with most that sliding tile or reaction puzzles just seem like filler and put me off.  I’m also not a great fan of overly verbose stories, if I need to read paragraph after paragraph of dialogue where you’re unsure if bits will be relevant to puzzles later will make me hunt for something else to play, I do enjoy a good story though, just think some games should be a bit more reserved with the amount of text.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

notanumber - 16 April 2018 08:18 PM

I dislike QTE’s and timed puzzles, but I can usually get through them before giving up.

I find that I’ve gotten really good at slider puzzles, due to the sheer number of games that use them. Whenever I come across one now, I just roll my eyes and yell “Slider puzzle” to my wife, then set about it!  Tongue

You guys should play Tale of a Hero if you haven’t done so yet. It has the most satisfying slider puzzle ever. And I hate those game stretchers with a passion.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sadly, one of my favorite games of all time had a slider puzzle, I sucked it up every time I played it.

I am talking about Trace Memory.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top