• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Apocalipsis: Harry at the End of the World Playthrough

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I got to the fish stopping point! I like the artwork but struggled a bit early on with the morbidity. The puzzles are easy enough to be fun without being hard enough to interfere with the pace of the game. Well, the action sequence did slow me down a bit until I realized that you really don’t have that many choices to make.  I’m looking forward to the rest of it.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sabacc - 11 April 2018 11:19 PM

If you did miss any of the flowers you do not need to restart from the beginning.  You can use the Map option on the main menu to jump to the specific stage that has the flower in it.  Also, you don’t actually have to finish that stage again.  Once you pick up the flower the game will remember you have it for the ending.

I hadn’t noticed a mapping feature. I most definitely will look for it. I also recall reading something about the flowers in the AG review. But, I assumed they would be evenly spaced through the four locations. I spotted the first one next to the grinder, so I guessed, wrongly, that I was done with them for the remainder of the first episode. I’ll have to be a bit more dilligent. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

Want me to post a save with the flowers retrieved in the first section, Tim?  There aren’t any special puzzles surrounding getting the flowers so you wouldn’t be missing any content other than Harry’s pick up animation.

Chrissie, for the tongues puzzles, each of the three tongues that are shown in the closeup bit have four symbols on them.  On the tumblers that you choose symbols on there are five symbols and you have to choose the missing symbol from the corresponding tongue.  Or just get them through trial and error.  That works too. Smile

I guess we’re getting pretty close to doing leg two of the game.  For that Harry goes off to sea.  The leg would end once you complete this scene:

Note that this section of the game has the second of the two action scenes.  Again if anyone would like for me to post a save game for just after the action scene let me know and I can make that happen. Smile

Check out my adventure game series Sleuthhounds!

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Just finished.  Such a dark ambience but somehow beautiful too.  I assume the repetitive sound in most/all scenes is to make us uneasy, but it is a little annoying.

I found the first two scenes quite difficult as I couldn’t quite understand the controls, but once I got through those the game either got considerably easier or the game logic clicked along with the controls.

I accidentally went to the scene beyond the fish as I don’t follow instructions too well. Tongue

Thanks to the little I gleaned reading the thread before playing I managed to get the action sequence on the second try (and luckily died quite early the first time).  Anyone who missed the advice earlier in the thread - just relax and focus on timing for the action sequence.

And thanks for the info about the flowers, I’ll go back and find them.

Eager to play more (probably on Saturday).

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 12 April 2018 04:59 AM

I wondered though in the ‘tongues’ puzzle are there any reference for the symbols apart from the middle one or is it solved by trial & error as I did.?

Even though you solved it, yes there is a method. For each tongue you choose a fifth symbol that is not matched by any of the symbols above it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Oh Boy! Another action sequence. I may save this one until later tonight or tomorrow. I did find the second flower. Location is a little counter-intuitive. Also found the third flower. The ship was a piece of work. Cutting off the limbs of a rotting corpse to feed the fishies. Ugh!

Re: the action sequence: While I did see a method to the bomb evasion, I’m not seeing one here, If anyone knows what it is, I wouldn’t mind a hint.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

I don’t have a guaranteed method for getting past the second action sequence but here’s what worked for me last time I played:

There are several lines of bubbles floating up from the bottom of the screen that divide the scene into 5 lanes.
As much as possible I keep Harry in the middle lane with the mouse pointer resting in the lane immediately to the left of him.
As soon as I see a tentacle start to wave at the bottom of the middle lane or a bit of debris drop from the top I click to swim into the lane to the left.  Once the trouble is gone I move Harry back to the middle lane.
This tends to work for the most part although every now and then there’ll be a tentacle or some piece of debris in the left lane when I need to dodge and Harry will get hit by that.
As far as I can tell there’s no fixed pattern to the tentacles and debris.  They randomly change where they appear every time you try the sequence again.
There’s a checkpoint somewhere in the sequence so that if you get clobbered after that point you go back to it instead of restarting the whole thing.  I believe it’s just before you start getting both tentacles and debris at the same time.  The checkpoint is not remembered if you quit the game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There’s a TV show I want to watch tonight at 9:00 CDT. So I have about two hours to solve the puzzle. If I can’t do it, you can best believe that I will be asking for the saved game. Will report in tomorrow with the results.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve just spent 1.5 hours trying to get through the action sequence. Failed. I will try again tomorrow, but my patience is wearing thin. I may ask for the saved game and the instructions for installing it.

I actually think this sequence borders on unfair. It is random. The cursor often becomes invisible in the background. And, while it may be a computer problem, the cursor avoidance mechanism doesn’t seem to move as fast as I think it should. We shall see what happens tomorrow. I’ve got a TV show to watch. So I’m calling it a night without finishing chapter two.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sabacc - 12 April 2018 07:06 PM

Chrissie, for the tongues puzzles, each of the three tongues that are shown in the closeup bit have four symbols on them.  On the tumblers that you choose symbols on there are five symbols and you have to choose the missing symbol from the corresponding tongue.  Or just get them through trial and error.  That works too. Smile......

rtrooney - 12 April 2018 08:41 PM
chrissie - 12 April 2018 04:59 AM

I wondered though in the ‘tongues’ puzzle are there any reference for the symbols apart from the middle one or is it solved by trial & error as I did.?

Even though you solved it, yes there is a method. For each tongue you choose a fifth symbol that is not matched by any of the symbols above it.

Thanks guys!  Thumbs Up

I’ve now got to the next stopping point & very much enjoyed the puzzling to get there especially the star puzzle
I wasn’t so keen on the 2nd ‘action’ part (what am I saying - I didn’t like the 1st one much either Laughing) but I did it- I found it easier than the 1st but more tedious after getting to the last part as you’re not sure how many tentacles & debris objects you had to avoid i.e. how long you were going to be ‘tortured’ before you got past it! ...whereas with the cannon balls it was quite clear what you needed to do.

Tim, I managed it by loosely following Sabacc’s advice + following your hint:

rtrooney - 11 April 2018 03:50 PM

Hint: Relax. I have a tendency to tighten up during action sequences, and the tightness is my worst enemy. Take a deep breath, and don’t try to speed through it.

I found you just needed to be very observant on what‘s appearing from above & below & immediately but ‘casually’ move out of the way - I’m not sure how many tentacles + I had to avoid – 6 or 7???
If I can do it so can anyone!

I didn’t notice any flowers in this section - were there any?

I’m raring to move on to the next part now!
Smile

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I made it to the next stopping point. The star puzzle is so far one of best in the game. I liked the octopus tentacle in the ship one also even though I am a bit puzzled as to why anyone would want to tar and feather a cannonball. The method used to get the fuse is clever.

I did not like the second action sequence one bit. I did OK once I realized that it was just like the artillery one in that you do not direct the character with the cursor but just click the cursor on where you want him to go. Big thanks to Sabaac for the hints.

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

I really enjoyed the at sea adventures of, Harry, especially the star puzzle.  The action sequence was OK but I could have just as easily done without it.  Wink

furgotten, I believe when you shoot the tentacle it’s actually a tarred and glassed cannonball.  Although I suppose feathers make sense if the tentacle is ticklish.

I enjoyed seeing the woodcut rain at the start of this section (and elsewhere in the game).  I wish more games incorporated weather effects like this as it livens up the scene and helps to establish the mood.

For those following along on our nature tour (i.e. watching for flowers) I can confirm that there are none in this part of the game.

Part three begins tomorrow, during which Harry arrives back on land.  Part three goes until you finish this scene:

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

After another marathon session I finally escaped the water and have arrived at the starting point for tomorrow’s episode. I need a nap!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

When I first read the review of Apocalipsis I sounded very much like a review of a casual game without hidden objects. The other attributes were short duration, relatively easy puzzles, limited selection and use of inventory items, etc.

But I think I may have given it less credit than it deserves. True, the attributes described in the review do also describe common attributes of a casual game, but something is different here. The complexity of the puzzles is a step above what you would normally find in a casual. The intricacy of ringing a bell in order to get a guard to move so you can investigate a box where a fuse is found.....required some thought on the designer’s part as well as some thoughtful experimentation on the part of the player.

I’ve played some casuals where this sort of intricate thinking is present. But, there may only be five or six such intricacies in the whole game. Whereas, these puzzles types seem to be around every corner here.

Another MAJOR difference is the lack of a hint system and/or a skip button. And then there are the action sequences, which are virtually non-existent in casual games. And those few games that have them don’t seem invested in them. Either they invite you to skip them or they are so simple that a moron such as myself can get through them with little or no effort.

Another difference is the brevity of this game. (Excluding the time spent on the action sequences, which, from personal experience, can be substantial.) An average casual game can take four-six hours to play. Some, substantially longer. Three games that come to mind, Enigmatis3, Death on the Silver Screen and Fright demanded that you play the Collector’s Edition Bonus game if you maximize your understanding and enjoyment of the game. I know that extended Death on the Silver Screen into the 9+ hour range.

So, what I’m left with is that this game is one of those rare hybrid games. Not a full-fledged adventure. But too sophisticated to be called a casual.

Nearest comparison I can think of is Emerald City Confidential.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Sorry guys, I’m running behind on this one but should be all caught up by the next deadline.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top