• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best Adventures of All time by their Genres

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 11 January 2014 11:52 AM
Detective Mosely - 10 January 2014 08:38 PM

As much as I love Grim Fandango, I think part of the problem is it wasn’t as marketable as some other games.  With a game like Full Throttle, just looking at the box art makes it look like it’s going to be a ton of fun.  Whereas even as a big adventure game fan, the concept of Grim Fandango wasn’t something that made me want to run out and get it.  And the art style and controls were very different, and probably didn’t have as much mass appeal.

Those things didn’t make it any less great once you get into playing it, but I can see why it sold worse than many of their other games.  It probably wasn’t as appealing as some other games were to people that weren’t big adventure game fans.  It’s a shame they didn’t try to release another game or two and see how they sold before shutting down making adventure games all together.

Funny, but that’s exactly the thing I’m trying to say in the Broken Age thread Smile If the game lacks this polished appeal, it will be hard to make it a hit, even if it happens to be one of the best adventure games ever, like Grim Fandango was.

Right! Many if not most of Tim Schafer’s games have poor sales. Like Psychonauts. Universally praised by reviewers as original, brilliant, creative, but the sales were disastrous.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Dag - 11 January 2014 04:40 PM

In fact, when I joined this forum, it was my first experience with people who didn’t seem to have any issues with 3D adventure games. I’ve grown a bit since then and I no longer automatically dismiss an adventure just because it’s presented in 3D, but in spite of how far 3D technology has come, I still believe handpainted art has the potential to look better than anything I’ve seen so far in playable 3D. Even in AAA games there’s still many rough polygon edges and corners on objects that are supposed to be soft and round, and that’s today. 17 years ago 3D looked absolutely horrible to my eyes and I questioned the developers sense of aestethics. How could they sacrifice charm and beauty for techological showing off? I could not understand it. The way I see it MI3’s graphics will hold up well for eternity. Anything early 3D allready looks terribly outdated and will continue to do so increasingly as the technology curve rises.

I wouldn’t add anything to this, I had exactly the same experience when I started following this forum (long before I registered).

Now I cannot hide my disappointment that Broken Age (“THE GAME that will single-handedly decide the future of the adventure genre”) looks so ugly. And I talked to many people that were so excited when they heard about the game, but later cooled off when they saw the artistic direction DF had taken.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

When I first saw the screenshots of Broken Age I too was a bit disappointed.  But the more I’ve heard of the concept the more I’ve liked it.

And again, the screenshots of Grim Fandango never appealed to me either before I played it, and I loved that.  So I totally am still expecting a really good game.

Plus the two adventure games Tim Schafer was the project lead on (Full Throttle and Grim Fandango) are my favorite two games that he’s been involved with.  In fact they’d probably join GK1 and GK2 as my 4 favorite adventure games of all time.

So yeah, he totally has my trust.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Detective Mosely - 13 January 2014 01:59 AM

And again, the screenshots of Grim Fandango never appealed to me either before I played it, and I loved that.  So I totally am still expecting a really good game.

It was the same with me, but I still consider that early 3D graphic style (along with the interface of course) let’s say “the least good” segment of GF.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top