• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #46 Technobabylon

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished parts 2, 3 and 4. The 2nd part felt like a filler, nothing much happened there. The only two dialogue “puzzles” were very straight-forward - you just choose one (obvious) tactic and follow it, that’s really it. The jet escape moment felt like a parody of Back to the Future Smile And the bomber mission was way too simplified, I expected the fanatic to blow himself every moment - that was one poor attempt at talking him out which surprisingly worked.

The 3rd chapter was really a highlight gameplay-wise. It “switched” from the Police Quest way of thinking to Tex Murphy where you turn the suspect’s apartment inside out (the “big brother” Central is suprisignly easily ingored in this universe). This was also a nice way to demonstarte modern technologies, especially the customized coocking gel - that’s a really cool idea. On the other hand, the “cracking code” puzzle went the same old tired route when the answer lies in front of your eyes and you are even hinted to it.

Storytelling wasn’t too exciting (again, Tex Murphy and its side-missions come to mind), and I agree with Karlok about the hallucination scene - there was no way the maid could’ve seen those visions. Also it felt like they tried REALLY hard to fill the chapter with politcorrectness, like somebody suddenly asked the devs “Hey, where are gay people? Transgenders? Interracial relationships?” and they decided to introduce all at once. Even the S&S guy on the phone sounded gay. Could’ve been introduced much better.

The 4th chapter was once again a take on the escape the locked room puzzle. I think it was better done the first time around - this felt more forced, especially with the guard standing outside - seriously, this might be one of the dumbest and careless future cops ever, he didn’t give a damn about anything that happened inside the cell, with Latha breaking cameras, smashing lights, moving tables and burning papers - “oh well, I’ve seen worse”, seriously? The VR trip went bonkers, Sam & Max-style Smile I’m still not sure it’s appropriate in this kind of world, but at least it adds something to it, because the world itself feels very claustrophobic and empty to me, with few people around and nothing much going on outside.

Having mixed feeling so far, hoping for the best as always.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For me, the 3rd chapter was also a highlight of the game, some aspects of this chapter I found to really give the game a true Cyberpunk feel.

For the money, I was well pleased with this game - a real bargin at the price.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Chapter 3 complete.
Good one, liked the puzzles and investigation in the apartment.Gruesome death by the french maid…!
Disappointed that the bomber plot always would have ended with him dying and was just a convenience for the the bomb puzzle

Good point about the hallucinations, we shouldn’t have seen them

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished chapters 3 and 4 and I am enjoying the game quite a lot, but I agree with Doom that some of the story telling is feeling weak.

I agree with everyone in chapter 3 about how the maid should not have seen the hallucinations. I was thinking the same thing when I played it. Also, there appears to be a lack of attention to details. When looking at the body of Giel’s boyfriend, Lao says he was shot 4 times in the chest although when we see the scene unfold, Giel shoots him straight in the head. Another thing is that I really did not think Charlie would bomb an apartment. I mean getting a memory module is one thing, but bombing an apartment seemed to go against his character. I really wished we had a choice in the matter.

Chapter 4 puzzlewise felt very similar to chapter one and had a fun new take on it. I especially enjoyed the whole trojan republic of Han sequence.
I totally agree with Doom again about how Quince has to be one of the most incompetent cops ever. Like you see that the camera is smeared and you can’t watch what Latha is doing, and you don’t clean it? Also when he walks in with his drone, he just is so careless he doesn’t notice her “borrowing” medical stuff. or that the camera is open now (and come on Latha. Close it after you are done with it).

I have a few little pet peeves and nitpicks:
- Some of the VO is good (like Lao and Regis), but some is meh (like Quince and Stepford).
- When you introduce a person speaking in Arabic, please use someone that knows the language. It’s a pet peeve of mine when they say the Arabic words and they have a really bad accent.
- Is it just me or some scenes are missing lip synching? I don’t know if it’s a bug, because in other scenes, their lips do move.

Now for the positives so that it doesn’t sound like I hate the game (which I definitely do not).

- Very intrigued with the story so far. I am eager to know more.
- Love all the futuristic ideas presented in the game. like trance, heating gel, food making machines, recycling clothes, Central etc…
I also really enjoy the news articles. Really liked the one about Japanese cloning because they don’t want to ‘dilute their culture’ with refugees.
- Puzzles are on the easier side, but they are varied enough to keep the gameplay fresh.

So far so good Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Chapter 4 complete.
Agree that the whole jailed and moving around everything with a guard outside felt a bit forced but the virtual bits were fun..
Enjoyed the story, things got more interesting with the conspiracy theme creeping in.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude - 03 March 2018 05:55 PM

I totally agree with Doom again about how Quince has to be one of the most incompetent cops ever. Like you see that the camera is smeared and you can’t watch what Latha is doing, and you don’t clean it? Also when he walks in with his drone, he just is so careless he doesn’t notice her “borrowing” medical stuff. or that the camera is open now (and come on Latha. Close it after you are done with it).

Yes, that was annoying. Too much suspension of disbelief required and far too common in adventure games. For instance, I remember a game where a guard refused to let me into a room, but turned a blind eye when I started switching room numbers in his presence.

And he doesn’t pay any attention to the boy, lets him sit there for days without medical attention…  Thumbs Up

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I myself really enjoyed the VR parts, they were a nice break from the rest of the story.

I hate to be a bore, but if you want to stay on track, you should have completed chapters 1 - 4 and have started the 5th chapter.

I hope everyone is enjoying the game so far, not perfect, but a fun game one the less.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

[spoiler]Love all the futuristic ideas presented in the game. like trance, heating gel, food making machines, recycling clothes, Central etc…

I could not agree more, when I first got this game I didn’t like it at all - but as I played it it really grew on me. By the end of the game it was a wow. For an inexpensive game , it has solid production values. Like all games, not perfect, but enough good stuff to make it quite the enjoyable experience.

It did win two Aggies, well deserved also.

Heart

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished chapter 5 and the story is going into overdrive now. I really loved
the DNA sequencing puzzle. It was clever how Regis used Max Lao’s name as the initials of the specimens. I especially enjoyed risking an alien plant infestation to get the DNA Laughing

One thing that made it easier though was having such a small amount of samples to go through so a person can easily solve it by brute force trial and error. The lab director mentioned 10000 specimen, so would have been nice if there were more specimen to go through to increase the challenge.

The whole giving yourself fake diseases is ridiculously funny. It goes to show again that their future is not all dystopian and has some elements that are way better than our current day.

Can’t wait to play the next chapter.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The beginning of chapter 5 really didn’t grab me, finding that lab part just boring.
Hopefully finishing the chapter soon

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The later parts of chapter 5 do pick up, compared to the beginning.

If you are playing chapter 6, hopefully you are enjoying this one. I myself thought the puzzles in this chapter to be quite fun and interesting to solve. I know I did, there were times in chapter 6 where I was really scratching my head.

Heart

Total Posts: 1254

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

By the way, did somebody inject Guy with water instead of epinephrine? The future of Guy changes according on what you injected him…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished Chapter 5 and 6.

Like I said, Chapter 5 was boring, too much dialogue I wasn’t caring (I skipped some…). However the puzzle with the DNA samples was well done by the end.

Chapter 6 was more fun, fast paced and getting all the agents down was good.
However, who would drink a random bottle thrown through a window?!? What?

walas74 - 10 March 2018 09:01 PM

By the way, did somebody inject Guy with water instead of epinephrine? The future of Guy changes according on what you injected him…

No idea you could do that

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Hi everyone!

I’m a little late, but I’d like to join the playthrough if you don’t mind. Smile I’ve actually just started to work on my Wadget Eye backlog so this comes at the perfect time for me.

So far I only had time to finish Chapter 1, but I plan to play through 2-6 in the next few days.

It seems like a good game so far, I enjoy the music, especially the one in the main menu, and I found the virus puzzle quite ingenious.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished chapter 6 and it is probably my favorite chapter so far.

I like the actiony feel to it and taking down the agents.

wilco - 11 March 2018 08:18 PM

who would drink a random bottle thrown through a window?!? What?

A character in an AG video game of course.

By the way, if you hadn’t done so, try dialing random numbers on the VOIP of the terminal. There are tons of amusing recordings there. Thought it was a nice touch.

One thing I am suspicious of:
*** BIG “SPOILER” GUESS AHEAD ***
Anyone else think the silhouette of the woman talking to the blonde villain guy is Galatea Vargas, Eduardo Vargas’s daughter? She sure looks like her.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top