• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #46 Technobabylon

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished the second chapter.
Are there different ways to solve some puzzles or different outcomes?

- to gain access to the roof by +artner opened the door but after I messed up the phone call to get the code (I think)
- I arrested the bomb guy but looks like it could have been different,
wonder if it will have any impact later.

The main character here was the typical veteran that doesn’t trust these new whippersnapper technologies, probably will save him later

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, several puzzles can be solved in different ways. Which for me added to the fun of the game. In my opinion, if you liked the first two chapters of the game, you are really going to enjoy the next several, the story really draws you in.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The first 2 game chapters should now be completed. The third chapter in this game for me is where the story really starts to take off.

I am really enjoying reading everyone’s comments on the game so far.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Sorry, a little behind the times, but i have completed the first two chapters.

SoccerDude - 22 February 2018 01:04 PM

I feel that it is similar or maybe slightly better to what it is today… The main character is unemployed for about 2 years but she gets housing, food and clothing which is better than what people who are unemployed today get…

It’s so eye opening to see different experiences of life. In the UK we have a strong welfare system (some would say too much) where people are given benefits longterm for various reasons including unemployment, disability, illness etc. Social housing is a big thing too and (up to a point) local authorities have a duty to house people in their area. People are able to buy food with benefit money (and to choose what they buy) rather than a prison style one-size-fits-all slop. So for me I would say the Technobabylon situation is much worse than current life.

It’s so interesting that we both view the same situation so differently! I’d be interested to hear anyone else’s views on whether Latha’s situation seems better or worse to them!

SoccerDude - 22 February 2018 01:04 PM

The goo stuff is not very different to the Mcdonalds pink slime…

Huh? I may not go to McDonalds all that much but I don’t remember pink slime!

LostTrainDude - 22 February 2018 02:48 PM

In my opinion, Technobabylon lands this first Escape Room puzzle in a very clever way by giving you a “2-in-1 Escape Room” (by switching between the Trance and the real world) and filling both with stuff that gives you a feel of who Latha is and what kind of world we are visiting.

Totally agree.

Otherwise:

I love how “action-y” chapter 2 feels but without using any “action” elements. We get a fair bit of background information about the world but in an interesting way and tied into a story that pulls you in with a sense of urgency.

Just like wilko I talked the guy down and arrested him. Anyone blow him up?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

wilco - 24 February 2018 07:03 PM

I finished the second chapter.
Are there different ways to solve some puzzles or different outcomes?

- to gain access to the roof by +artner opened the door but after I messed up the phone call to get the code (I think)
- I arrested the bomb guy but looks like it could have been different,
wonder if it will have any impact later.

The main character here was the typical veteran that doesn’t trust these new whippersnapper technologies, probably will save him later

I think we can discuss now the different possibilities of Chapter 2.

You can gain access to the roof either asking Lao for help or convincing the guy on the phone to give you de code. No impact later.

There are three outcomes with the bomber: you convince him to surrender, Lao shoots him or he blows up. Conversations later and news will differ based on your outcome.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Intense Degree - 27 February 2018 05:57 AM

It was Jamie Oliver who publicly called them out on it, and they claim they stopped using it.

Also there is this:
https://www.snopes.com/six-year-old-happy-meal-doesnt-rot/

Also Subway was under fire because they used in their bread a chemical that is used in Yoga mats. Needless to say, I haven’t stepped foot in a fast food chain in more than 5 years.  Tongue

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

SoccerDude - 27 February 2018 01:40 PM

It was Jamie Oliver who publicly called them out on it, and they claim they stopped using it.

Also there is this:
https://www.snopes.com/six-year-old-happy-meal-doesnt-rot/

Also Subway was under fire because they used in their bread a chemical that is used in Yoga mats. Needless to say, I haven’t stepped foot in a fast food chain in more than 5 years.  Tongue

I apologise for a slight derailing of the thread MikeKelly but I have played Technobabylon & can imagine the constitution of food that may be presented in that world.

I have eaten McDonald’s burgers in the past but not for many years & now here in the UK it is claimed that the burgers are 100% beef - yeah right!
(& I stopped eating sausages many many years before after I saw how they were made using something more akin to that pink slime!)

I tried a vegetarian Subway bun with substitute meat ONCE but even with the addition of lots of vegetables was probably the most disgusting excuse for a snack I ever came across & couldn’t eat more than a few bites as it was like reconstituted cardboard so it doesn’t surprise me they may use an ingredient used in yoga mats as I can imagine now the possibility of it tasting similar! 
It was a little sad that in the You Tube footage Jamie Oliver was accused of being attention seeking as here in the UK he has done so much to promote healthy eating especially for children in schools i.e. school dinners!

Sorry for the digression but I can see that reconstituted food with chemicals etc could be commonplace in a futuristic world! Smile

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Just like wilko I talked the guy down and arrested him. Anyone blow him up?

Yes, I replayed chapter 2 to see if I could change anything [spoiler]and I did blow him up the second time. First time I saved him. Still couldn’t get the guy on the phone to tell me the code, but he trusted me more the second time. Also saved one of my ki.. embryos. Now playing chapter 3, no consequences so far.  [/spoiler]

EDIT: Finished chapter 3. I’m enjoying this game very much. Burst out laughing when I heard Cheffie again. Clever maid personality puzzle, easy and fun. One thing that bothered me was the hallucination scene. Nobody knows what Giel may have seen, so showing us the black monster jars. Like the old joke about a man who died in his sleep from fright during a nightmare. 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

To the question of dystopian/not dystopian, I don’t think the world of Technobabylon is notably better or worse than our present day. It has a lot of problems, but all of them have close parallels in our world. (As for the cushiness of the British welfare state, tell that to the Grenfell Tower victims or the thousands sleeping rough across the UK.)

Incidentally, you do learn where Newton is located. Horn of Africa, i.e. present-day Somalia.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

*pink slime*

Wow.  Gasp

after a brisk nap - 28 February 2018 01:36 PM

As for the cushiness of the British welfare state, tell that to the Grenfell Tower victims or the thousands sleeping rough across the UK.

Sorry, who said the British welfare state was cushy?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

By the way, it is very interesting to activate commentaries in the game. You learn a lot about game design, backgrounds, music, and how Dave Gilbert meddles haha.

And of course, you learn where is Newton Wink

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, I’ll just have to play the game with commentaries on. Now that I’ve played it through once, now would be the perfect time for this.

Heart

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Mikekelly - 28 February 2018 05:59 PM

Well, I’ll just have to play the game with commentaries on. Now that I’ve played it through once, now would be the perfect time for this.

Heart

You won’t regret. It is fascinating to learn where do ideas come from, how they are implemented, plots that were dismissed, and of course, the power of Dave Gilbert Smile

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Intense Degree - 28 February 2018 02:07 PM

Sorry, who said the British welfare state was cushy?

I was referring to you calling the British welfare system “strong” and “some would say too much”, listing all the ways it’s supposedly better than what we see in Technobabylon. Though AFAICT the Newton government in fact offers those same benefits, and with much less bureaucracy and fewer requirements of its clients. (You don’t have to be Ken Loach to note that there’s a difference between rights and benefits that exist in theory and the lived experience of those who need them.)

And isn’t the reason Latha’s synthesizer only makes one thing that it is broken, and she hasn’t made an active effort to fix it since she’s a trance addict?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I had him shot when I played the game.  I actually enjoyed this part of the game quite a bit, one of the highlights for me.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top