• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #46 Technobabylon

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You are done with the plastic fork. Thank goodness, right. I also broke the plastic fork.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’ve finished replaying chapter 1 also, very cool.

It’s been said before about this game, but I love the way you get the feel of a full and rich game world from just that one room in the first chapter.

wilco - 20 February 2018 05:21 PM

It’s a fun little chapter - because of Cheffie and the Guard - and a good take on the classic locked room puzzle.

Agree. Those characters stop the setting getting too depressing, but somehow still fit the dystopian feel.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1255

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

Sorry for sticking my nose here, but as I have played Technobabylon so much because I translated it into Spanish (and when you finish the game you will realize the hard work it was, and long…), I think I can clarify some doubts you will have, if you don’t mind.

Chapter numbers are indeed in binary code. Just to make it more geek, I guess…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I thank you for joining! Stick your nose in as much as you like! If you have other illuminations about the game - please share!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Mikekelly - 21 February 2018 07:22 AM

I thank you for joining! Stick your nose in as much as you like! If you have other illuminations about the game - please share!

Heart

Thanks! Some puzzles can be solved in different ways, but we will cross that bridge when we get there…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Intense Degree - 21 February 2018 03:43 AM

Agree. Those characters stop the setting getting too depressing, but somehow still fit the dystopian feel.

Is the dystopian feel supposed to be implied by the first few scenes or is it something you already know about the game? Because coming into this game and knowing nothing about the setting or the story, I do not feel the game is dystopian at all in its first chapter.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I guess it depends on what you understand as dystopian. If you read the emails, the news, the rules of the apartment, words as sconto, I think is quite dystopian…

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

SoccerDude - 21 February 2018 02:27 PM

Is the dystopian feel supposed to be implied by the first few scenes or is it something you already know about the game? Because coming into this game and knowing nothing about the setting or the story, I do not feel the game is dystopian at all in its first chapter.

To be fair I have played the game before in its freeware and commercial states but that isn’t the reason. Apologies for being pretentious but I’m going to give you my thought process on it from the first room (after the intro screens).

So we have a girl trapped in a room. It feels a bit prison-ish but we learn straight away that her being prevented from leaving is a surprise so it’s not a prison. In fact, we learn that this is her house where she lives. All the electronic systems, the wetware etc. show us this is clearly science fiction set in the future, or at least an alternative reality. Sci-fi futures or alternate realities tend to be Utopian or Dystopian in character, so which is this? Well the room looks more like Blade Runner than Star Trek to me, the technology isn’t working well, we see a virus within a few minutes of starting the game, the food technology restricts what the girl can eat and the type of cutlery used rather than augmenting choice (“Tea, Earl Grey, Hot!”). Then there are the e-mails & news etc…

All of that points me towards dystopia, at least my idea of a dystopia, but as Walas says, perhaps we just have different ideas of what Dystopian means and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that! Smile

How does the game feel to you so far, if not dystopian?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Intense Degree - 22 February 2018 03:51 AM

All of that points me towards dystopia, at least my idea of a dystopia, but as Walas says, perhaps we just have different ideas of what Dystopian means and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that! Smile

How does the game feel to you so far, if not dystopian?

I feel that it is similar or maybe slightly better to what it is today. My first assumption is that Newton is somewhere in the US, because everyone is speaking in an American accent. Where the blonde villain was standing is what I imagine a future neighborhood in NYC to look like, similar to today but with futuristic cars. The main character is unemployed for about 2 years but she gets housing, food and clothing which is better than what people who are unemployed today get. If I get unemployed today in the US, I get a certain percentage of my salary for 6 months and then nothing. I don’t get free health insurance, housing, nor food for that matter, so if I have no savings, I’ll end up homeless. So in a way, the benefits given to her by the government are pretty good.

The goo stuff is not very different to the Mcdonalds pink slime which people pay for, and it is free food given to her by the government, so I expect it not to be the highest quality. Mcdonalds just packages it nicer. I also wasn’t given the impression that this is the only available food for anyone to buy, just one of the choices. We do have a 3D Pizzar printer today: http://www.businessinsider.com/beehex-pizza-3d-printer-2017-3

And then they seem to recycle everything, like the clothes and the trays so that’s not a bad thing.

The trance and wetware looks like really neat technology, and it is the next evolution of virtual reality. Latha Sesame seems to love it.

Walas mentioned the emails, but those are frighteningly very similar to today’s. She got some guy trying to scam her, and then a malware attachment. Not very different from the emails I get Laughing

As far as her being held prisoner, I felt it was more like part of the plot, that someone is targeting her for some unknown reason rather than people are prisoners in their apartments.

I guess when I think dystopian, I think something like the Hunger Games or Ready Player One.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, maybe the dystopian feeling is more visible later on the game and not just in the first chapter.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2017-07-31

PM

I have played this game when it came out (commercially) and I really find the first chapter to be a great example of good “Escape Room Puzzle” design.

Let me elaborate a little better:

I think that Escape Room puzzles are a very nice way to start an adventure game. Players become accustomed with the game mechanics - stating the obvious: being just a single room, you know that the solution has to be there somewhere - and, if properly designed, they can give them a taste characters and gameworld’s backstory.

In my opinion, Technobabylon lands this first Escape Room puzzle in a very clever way by giving you a “2-in-1 Escape Room” (by switching between the Trance and the real world) and filling both with stuff that gives you a feel of who Latha is and what kind of world we are visiting.

Having also deconstructed it puzzle by puzzle (spoilers everywhere in the link) I look forward to what you will post here as weeks go by Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Mikekelly - 19 February 2018 06:27 PM

Advie, I do hope you join us in this CPT, even if you have played the game before, your comments here would be valuable.

Heart

thanks Mikekelly, i did not visit the thread since my last post, but i already have my eye on the thread from time to time and i just played it not too far from now, i need 2 years at least to replay a game. but thanks again for the invitation.  Heart

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished chapter 2 and I am completely loving the game so far.

Here are some of my thoughts on chapter 2.
It is now starting to be clear how dystopian the world is:

- UV rays are pretty bad and people with risk of melanoma need to stay indoors in certain days.
- trance is pretty scary, with the risk of getting fatally mindjacked.
- Trees are a thing of the past and they are now bioengineered.
- Some kids are bioengineered to be walking bombs, without any regards to the health sideeffects it causes them. Geez, that’s like the next level of suicide bombing.
- Central feels like big brother, with too much centralized power and knowledge that is withheld from the field agents, and all the surveillance cameras. Also, seems like there is a lot of pressure to be connected to the trance, or become obsolete.

I am still not very clear where this game takes place.

I was obviously wrong, and it is not taking place in America. Regis mentions another continent and a view of the Indian Ocean, so are we talking about Australia perhaps? I still feel it is weird how everyone is speaking in an American accent.

I really loved the slight on:
“Free” to play games. Nothing like buying more credits to play rock-paper-scissors Grin

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Oh, yes - the game gets very Cyberpunky later on. And the very definition of Cyberpunk is a dystopian future - high tech, low life.

Glad we have a developer aboard our CPT, please post often - your insights are priceless.

Looks like this game CPT is going well so far, for the price I had no complaints about this game.

This game - along with Gemini Rue are considered some of the best Cyberpunk adventure games released in recent times.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I believe the location of this game is completely fictional, which is common in Cyberpunk. I mean, it could have taken place in LA or another large city in the future, but it’s common to use a made up city in Cyberpunk. I once wrote a Cyberpunk story that took place in Huntington Beach, California!

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top