• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Was the last decade too oppressed/disparaged?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The 2000s (decade) where/when everything was claiming or talking about how/if adventure games are dead?. I took a looked back a few hours ago searching for not too old adventure to (re)play and i was amazed by how many GREAT games (used high techs quite well as well) that decade had seen….  i maybe been thinking that if it wasn’t for low sales and outcome of Adventures at the time the decade it could ve been seen as the pinnacle of the genre but i am not sure!

But anyhow i somehow think that decade was kinda oppressed? even til today, i can tell without hesitation that there was a quality of games in that era which is much better than most of what came after ‘11-‘12

We had lots of good adventures; outlook and execution; graphics, animations, design, and voice acting.

there are too many good examples i wanted to gather that i had to try to make a list as moderate/small as i could:
Scratches - Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring - Gray Matter - The Lost Crown - Murder in the Abbey -  Nightlong - Still Life - Ankh(s) - Memento Mori - Machinarium -  Barrow Hill - Edna and Harvey - Sinking Island - Aura -Keepsake - The Moment of Silence - Myst IV: Revelation - Overclocked - Everlight - Blackwell(s) - Nikopol -  Paradise - Perry Rhodan - Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - ..And Then There Were None - Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island-  Samorost(s) - Shady Brook - Runaways - Sam and Max Seasons - Culpa Innata - Jack Keane -  Art of Murder(s) - A Vampyre Story - Ceville - Gobliiins4 - Tales of Monkey Island Chapters - The Path -  Black Mirror 2 - The Whispered World .

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Only the mainstream were talking about how adventures were dead, just like they were about rpgs a little bit later.  They follow mainstream.  For anything else, they know nothing.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Even before I looked at your list, I could have predicted most of the games would have come from the second half of that decade.

There really was a dearth of adventures from about 1998 to 2005. Not as many games, not nearly as many good ones. But right around the time Telltale formed and the DS took off in the mid 2000s, the genre really started to rebound.

Anyone who references the “recent” revival of adventure games just wasn’t paying attention for about a decade. Shifty Eyed

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jackal - 22 January 2018 11:25 PM

Anyone who references the “recent” revival of adventure games just wasn’t paying attention for about a decade. Shifty Eyed

Agree, but then the new claimed revival (after/along the Kickstarter phenomena) took a misstep to lower ground than the 2nd half of the last decade Jack. Smile

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

The Kickstarter fad really had no discernible effect on the genre, in terms of either quality or quantity. All it did was bring familiar names back into the fold. Which was nice for what it was, but really didn’t have any further impact.

The big names did, however, make more people take notice again. (All those people who hadn’t been paying attention and were really just ignorant about the last decade.)

So you were right in your first post. The genre was alive and well in the 2000s, but mainly from about 2005 on.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

From 2000 to 2010 i enjoyed few AGs, Syberia ,Machinarium,Dreamfall, GMatter, Stilllife etc

I use to wait and hunt good AGs

For me genre was dead until now

I think with Indie scene ,  it has come back in force, DavidCage imitators to walking sims, all for good

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The health of a genre is usually determined by the health of the heavy hitters. People are saying 2017 saw the revival of Japanese video games but this is nonsense because Japan was releasing good games all throughout the last 10 years while the West was descending into poisonous DLC, pay-to-win, lootbox, etc… However, if you just base that opinion on the big Japanese games (like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil) then, yeah, it looked like Japan was in trouble for a while. Final Fantasy XIII suuuuucked.

The heavy hitters for adventure in the 1990s were Sierra and LucasArts and both them bowed out of adventure game development in the 2000s. So, you may have a point that we may have overstated how bad the 2000s were but it wasn’t entirely wrong because adventure as we knew it really did die.

I’m curious to know if you have a top 10 adventure game list though and how many titles were released smack bang in the 2000s.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 23 January 2018 04:07 AM

but this is nonsense because Japan was releasing good games all throughout the last 10 years

Name 10 good games in ps3 gen or 5
Only Souls stood out iirc for all, other wise likes of FF and RE were in western complex

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2018 04:14 AM

Only Souls stood out iirc for all, other wise likes of FF and RE were in western complex

Catherine
Bayonetta
Dragon’s Dogma
Dragon’s Crown
3D Dot Game Heroes

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 23 January 2018 04:18 AM
nomadsoul - 23 January 2018 04:14 AM

Catherine
Bayonetta
Dragon’s Dogma
Dragon’s Crown
3D Dot Game Heroes

Do you think these were good enough for wat japan gave in PS1/2 gen
Or Nioh/Nier/p5/zelda etc metacritic ?

edit

wouldnt call them heavyhitters, Bayo made good mc but failed commercially
only survived because of Ninty funding

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thejobloshow - 23 January 2018 04:07 AM

I’m curious to know if you have a top 10 adventure game list though and how many titles were released smack bang in the 2000s.

for a moment there i thought you got me my back against the wall, i don’t keeo lists at my PC, so i looked up a thread(old) was called Readers-Top-10, and i myself was surprised.

Advie - 25 July 2013 06:57 PM

1. Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals

2.Riven

3.Police Quest II: The Vengeance

4.Edna & Harvey: The Breakout

5.Overclocked :A History of Violence

6.Blade Runner

7.Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and The Time Rippers

8.Syberia 1!!

9.Black Mirror 2

10.Myst IV: Revelation

Just got a change of opinion

50/50 i swear haven’t any idea, even when i was posting the thread.  Mini Frown

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2018 04:23 AM

Do you think these were good enough for wat japan gave in PS1/2 gen
Or Nioh/Nier/p5/zelda etc metacritic ?

Good question. I think a lot of those games would do well. Odin Sphere kinda already demonstrates that Dragon’s Crown would be well received in the PS2 era. Bayonetta and Catherine are so individual that they would stand out too. 3D Dot Heroes and Dragon’s Dogma less so but 3D Dot Heroes did get a lot of hype for being a throwback - a trendsetter if you will.

No point comparing them to something like Breathe of the Wild because the heavy hitters are good again. However, there was A Link Between Worlds in 2013 - which I would easily place alongside BotW as one of the best Zelda games of all time.

Advie, thanks for bumping that other thread. I updated mine to remove all traces of the 2000s. Tongue

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Let’s put it this way - if Ankh and Jack Keane are the highlights of a decade.. it probably wasn’t a very good decade

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Donuts McGee - 23 January 2018 05:00 AM

Let’s put it this way - if Ankh and Jack Keane are the highlights of a decade.. it probably wasn’t a very good decade

and what about Syberias. Dreamfall, Moment of Silence, Machinarium .

but dont use this cheap way, i will respect if said you hated it, but telling me the sky is cloudy when there is only one cloud shaped a…, won’t work, even sucks

Edit:Sorry my answer a bit harsh, i need a doctor for my impulsive disorder Laughing

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 23 January 2018 05:07 AM
Donuts McGee - 23 January 2018 05:00 AM

and what about Syberias. Dreamfall, Moment of Silence, Machinarium .

but dont use this cheap way, i will respect if said you hated it, but telling me the sky is cloudy when there is only one cloud shaped a…, won’t work, even sucks

Agree with Donuts, i think you included many titles that were average or below average at best, or dip from quality of decade preceding it

Games like Syberias were sporadic

Just like some Japanese games JRPGs,SurivialHorror,and other genres suffered casualty in Ps3 gen , thats why i dont agree with jobblow PoV, heavy hitters were not consistent

Now 2017 had great Japanese year, 2018 will continue , because of AA or UE4

Just like AGs are finding success in Indie, UE4 etc like every year there is AGs being nominated and even winning, Inside, Firewatch, Finch etc

You cannot expect 3D Dot heroes or Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island to win any awards, acclaims etc

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

if i agree with ye that 2000s was average at best then i will have to say again what i wrote at -What is puzzle- thread, enjoy the averageness boy, there is nothing more can be given after what has had bloomed as devine in the year 93-97, that pinnacle man!!!, and its never over its will happen again and again but not that pinnacle! unless and until great copycats will be cherished by gens who never witnessed the pinnacle,

Nomad, when those companies who had put the rules of adventuring S.L.C i would call them for short, weren’t making games, heh!, they were the Beatles each on his own way writing and giving the most creative ideas ever given in gaming history, so enjoy 2010s bro.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top