• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2017

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

It offends my teasing sense of secrecy to offer a sneak peek of any results, but let’s just say that Edith Finch is a favourite among several AG staffers, including myself. If you can find an oddsmaker taking bets on it getting an Aggie mention, that’d be a pretty safe gamble. Wink

Observer was a graded review, so it’s fully eligible for everything.

Freeware games, including text adventures, are certainly open to consideration for a Silver Aggie. I honestly haven’t even thought about how to categorize those this year, if at all. But basically it’s just a way to recognize a few more great games that for whatever reason didn’t win/weren’t eligible for one of the main awards. That could even include an RPG if one were particularly, super-adventurey (bearing in mind that most RPGs share 80% adventure DNA anyway).

I haven’t forgotten about the non-traditional/traditional discussion from last year either. I’ve been toying with some alternate ideas, but nothing’s been settled yet. Honestly, the Aggies are so big a project that I try to procrastinate starting them until last-minute panic sets in. Tongue

Total Posts: 5834

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Well, a few traditional AGs I’ve played that I hope may be considered to be included in the nominations are:
Neofeud ......a nice story with a beginning middle & end which touches on & comments on relevant issues today social/political problems due to advances in the thought of AIs…......
Captain Disaster in: Death Has a Million Stomping Boots .....Another excellent story with engaging & challenging game play with a lot of subtle social comment & brought to life with humorous voice-acting .....What more can I say! 
The St Christopher’s School Lockdown .....a game that deserves in spirit to win as for me it’s the perfect adventure but let down by a few technical problems. I’m hoping that the developers, after a few years of finally getting this game out, will relax & come back to fix those problems in the future? 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Since today was a hella a day where an awkward assumption/expectation given by wilco just a day away, where he has gotten 89% correct of his foretelling of the result for the game; The Reds v The Citizens, I thought I’d bring another foretelling Nomad had given a year* ago, concerning the Aggies of today/2017, and the winner of the ‘Best Adventure of the Year’ into attention.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/9124/P75/#129817

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2017-04-13

PM

I was going to suggest Captain Disaster: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots but Chrissie beat me to it! (Also thanks for suggesting Neofeud!)

I’d add Paradigm if it wasn’t already in the list. It was one of the three point-and-clicks that made it to the top-100 Indie Games of 2017 on IndieDB and is a great surreal PnC.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

chrissie - 14 January 2018 03:18 PM

Well, a few traditional AGs I’ve played that I hope may be considered to be included in the nominations are:
Neofeud ......a nice story with a beginning middle & end which touches on & comments on relevant issues today social/political problems due to advances in the thought of AIs…......
Captain Disaster in: Death Has a Million Stomping Boots .....Another excellent story with engaging & challenging game play with a lot of subtle social comment & brought to life with humorous voice-acting .....What more can I say!

Would be nice to see them there. Smile

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The sad part for me is what is a 2017 release on the PS4 and iOS is often a game released in 2015 or 2016 on the PC. So my choice for best 2017 release maybe different.

However, 2017 was a great year for PC adventure games and I always love reading about who wins the coveted awards.

I have a feeling on who is going to win this year, but I’ll wait until the awards are announced and see if my guess is correct.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Mikekelly - 16 January 2018 04:52 PM

However, 2017 was a great year for PC adventure games

You can say that again. I’ll never finish this backlog until the Aggies. And I’m really happy about it.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Aggies for 2017 have started! 140 games that were possible nominees for an award! I may have to get a few of the adventure games up for awards!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

obligatory complaint: zero nominations for danganronpa 3.
Our mission for the reader poll: kokichi ouma for character of the year Tongue

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

Kaito and Kokichi both made my personal Best Character list, but in such a big year, it takes a lot of votes for a character to make it to the top 5. Rest assured they were represented, even if they only made it to a lower spot.

“Drinking rum before 10 a.m. makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic!”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 10 February 2018 10:44 AM

Our mission for the reader poll: kokichi ouma for character of the year Tongue

No doubt, i’m in!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sure, I’ll vote for Dangaronpa V3 as much as I can, for me it was one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played. Count me in also!

Heart

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wtf, is it that bad a year 2017 that people dont see anything but Thimbleweed Park.
and what with the strict site definition or formula for adventure games that makes AER pass with all the Jumping and running and the action** that its full of, if AER passes then last year Candle should have too, yea they different but both don’t completely approve the site strict rules.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Yea I think people just vote for their favourite game without even looking at the category. Happened last year with the mediocre Kathy Rain

Agree about AER, and Candle was 100% adventure, platform elements were not even a challenge.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Shame on all Dronpa cult, we failed
Need to grow cult more Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top