• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

List of RPGs/Adventures

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I need a list of mostly all games available of this cross-over genre, its too sad that i only know QfG, but i assume there are 10s or more?? out there.

Thanks in advance

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

It’s a grey zone by definition. It depends a bit on what criteria you apply for a game to fit the cross-over category.

F.i I always thought that QFG was more RPG than Adventure (due to the nature of point based skill levels), but others on this site have defended it’s adventure game roots.

It’s all fair game, as long as you set the criteria first, so eligable games are at least not pure adventure game or RPG.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

How do you want to define RPGs/Adventures exactly? Many modern RPGs have better stories, characters and exploration than most adventure games.

If you want to stick close to the QfG formula, so let’s say stats + inventory puzzles, then there aren’t a lot of games that I know of:

Heroine’s Quest
Quest for Infamy
Daughter of Serpents

And that’s all I can think of.

If you don’t require inventory puzzles, then the list can get much longer, but you need to give more details as to what you want: Clever puzzles (but not inventory based)? Strong characters? In-depth world-building? Story with lots of choices? Very little combat? etc.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Id say inkle’s Sorcery! absolutely counts in this catagory. Granted it is interactive fiction. It is closely bound to adventure exploration and rpgs. In that same vein Sunless sea is another game where the adventuring and exploration takes center stage with some lite rpg management stuff.
Also worth taking a moment to remind people: mage’s initiation is in the last stages of development and we will likely not have to wait long to have a new QFG-like.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

You pretty much only need one game in this category IMO and that is Anachronox. This comes from someone who generally don’t like turn-based combat so that is the weakest part of the game. But the remainder is really good.

Witcher 3 is a great game but don’t have much in common with adventure games besides having interesting stories and characters.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Anachronox
Waxworks
Veil of Darkness

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 29 December 2017 01:28 PM

If you don’t require inventory puzzles, then the list can get much longer, but you need to give more details as to what you want: Clever puzzles (but not inventory based)? Strong characters? In-depth world-building? Story with lots of choices? Very little combat? etc.

I do want them to have inventory puzzles, Clever puzzles.. i think all you said it what i am looking for except maybe a no need for stories with lots choices, i welcome linear stories as long as the game is rich of exploration and without frustration.
————-

but you guys shed some light on (for me) over the rarity of this class, i was aware it is rare but not this way!

also if RPG gaming being on the top of all genres, and Dave Gilbert new game is said its inspired by BioWare’s (referencing to rockpapershotgun- preview) It is hard to say if Wadjet-Eye games are turning totally toward this directing. i think nobody knows. (makes me wonder if the coles were way ahead of their time), but anyway it would be good if Unavowed succeeds and opens a new road for many devs to follow and make new games

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

There aren’t many games I’ve played that I’d consider Adventure/RPG

My criteria for an RPG is that the game uses stats where you level up, improve weapons, or otherwise improve your character’s ability to fight and/or get past obstacles. Combat can be turn-based or action-based but most gameplay, including exploration, requires combat in some form and combat is what you’re doing most of the time.

The criteria I’d use for Adventure/RPG is that other than RPG-like stats, the gameplay is mostly adventure type—collecting and using inventory, achieving goals by interacting with characters in a non-combat way—and the gameplay has to be more than 80% “adventure game style” with long stretches of pure adventure gameplay, because other genres have always used elements of what’s considered adventure gameplay (quests, conversations, story, puzzles). The most obvious difference between doing quests in an adventure game vs an RPG is that in an RPG you usually receive “experience” or some other stat from completing the quest, while in the adventure game, completing the quest gives you information or an inventory object that allows progress in the game. In an Adventure/RPG it could be either or both. And then of course adventure games don’t focus on combat or developing stats, where in an Adventure/RPG there will be some amount of combat.

The most obvious examples of Adventure/RPG are Quest for Glory and the games that imitated it:

Quest for Glory
Heroine’s Quest
Quest for Infamy

And then there is The Fifth Disciple.

The Fifth Disciple is mainly a 3rd person adventure game, but with sections where you play a turn-based combat minigame. During the minigame there is an option for a grid to be placed on the ground, making it into a sort of board game you play against the computer. You gain abilities from winning the combat minigame that help with winning future combat minigames. So if you can’t win a particular combat in a particular location, that means you need to win the combat in one or more other places in the game first—after you’ve built up enough capability. For some reason I can’t find an AG review, but an old Quandaryland review from 2004 is archived at
http://www.metzomagic.com/showArticle.php?index=771
Hardly anyone seems to have heard of this game. I had to order it from overseas (with exorbitant postage) but at the time I enjoyed the game and thought it was worth the price.

Then there are games that are more like Action/Adventure/RPG that have a lot more action and/or stealth than Adventure/RPG.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

zane - 29 December 2017 01:43 PM

Also worth taking a moment to remind people: mage’s initiation is in the last stages of development and we will likely not have to wait long to have a new QFG-like.

Mage’s Initiation (Q1-Q2 2018) may or may not be out a little before Hero-U (Q2-Q3 2018), which is probably going to be a bit QFG-like as well.

Maybe Hero-U is so obvious that people don’t even need to be reminded of that.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Anachronox and Omikron are both adventure-rpgs in my book, and both are excellent, although A-x is more accessible and fun. I’d also count both parts of Ultima VII, especially Serpent Isle, but they are still hardcore rpgs, just very open. Pathologic is a different kind of mix, with no inventory puzzles to speak of, yet the exploration and decision-making parts are top-notch, far ahead of those interactive movies. Then there’s King’s Quest: Mask of Eternity… Some find adventure gaming in Planescape: Torment, the Krondor series, Arcanum and Bloodlines, which only proves that a great RPG is always a great adventure as well Smile Torment: Tides of Numenera, on the other hand, plays like a bad interactive novel and fails in my eyes.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Doom - 30 December 2017 05:38 AM

Anachronox and Omikron are both adventure-rpgs in my book, and both are excellent, although A-x is more accessible and fun. I’d also count both parts of Ultima VII, especially Serpent Isle, but they are still hardcore rpgs, just very open. Pathologic is a different kind of mix, with no inventory puzzles to speak of, yet the exploration and decision-making parts are top-notch, far ahead of those interactive movies. Then there’s King’s Quest: Mask of Eternity… Some find adventure gaming in Planescape: Torment, the Krondor series, Arcanum and Bloodlines, which only proves that a great RPG is always a great adventure as well Smile Torment: Tides of Numenera, on the other hand, plays like a bad interactive novel and fails in my eyes.

It sounds like you’re just listing your favorite titles. Why Ultima VII and not the other Ultima games?

If you include all those titles, you’d have to include thousands of RPGs. I’m sure Advie doesn’t want that.

Maybe it would help if Advie could tell us what makes Quest For Glory (since that is the only one he knows) an Adventure/RPG hybrid rather than a straight up RPG?

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

One that I have mentioned before is Neuromancer. However it’s not a game I would recommend given its age and dated mechanics.

Much more interesting is Microprose’s Bloodnet, a mix of cyberpunk and vampires. It’s available on GOG.

You could also try some of Legend’s later games, such as Shannara and Superhero League of Hoboken.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

For you only the best Advie.

10.Pillars of Eternity
9.Fallout: New Vegas
8.Vampire: Bloodlines
7.Skyrim
6.Mass Effect Trilogy
5.Dragon Age: Origins
4.The Witcher 2 EE
3.Deus Ex HR DC
2.Planescape: Torment EE
1.The Witcher 3

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I guess we could also mention the mmorpg Runescape.

While you spend much time getting your stats up in boring and repetitive training sessions, there are also 218 quests. Some are very combat-oriented, while some are very traditional fetch quests and dialogue-based ones.

It can also be argued whether some parts of the game are deliberate homages to adventure games, such as “Ape Atoll” which is a place in the game.

Also, one quest in the game is called “Heroes’ Quest”.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Gabe - 30 December 2017 06:33 AM

For you only the best Advie.

10.Pillars of Eternity
9.Fallout: New Vegas
8.Vampire: Bloodlines
7.Skyrim
6.Mass Effect Trilogy
5.Dragon Age: Origins
4.The Witcher 2 EE
3.Deus Ex HR DC
2.Planescape: Torment EE
1.The Witcher 3

None of these are actually RPG/Adventure hybrids.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 30 December 2017 08:27 AM

None of these are actually RPG/Adventure hybrids.

Don’t worry,they have much more adventure than TTG.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top