• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommended games like Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way and Hadean Lands?

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

What are some of your other favorites and recommendations?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It really depends what it was about those two games that interested you.

If it was the writing style, you’re going to want to check out the other games by Bob Bates (Eric the Unready, Timequest, Gateway, and Arthur: Quest for Excalibur) and Andrew Plotkin (Spider & Web, Shade, Hunter In Darkness, A Change In The Weather, So Far).

If it was the spellcasting/magic system and fantasy flavor, then Enchanter and sequels and Wishbringer are probably your best bet. Also try Augmented Fourth and if you’re up for a challenge, Curses! and The Mulldoon Legacy. And don’t forget Zork, of course.

If that’s not enough, there are a ton of lists and recommendations on the Interactive Fiction Database, as well as downloads for most freeware (which a great many text adventures are).

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I don’t know why, Thaumistry reminds me a tiny bit of The Lurking Horror. Maybe it’s the New York setting. I don’t know if there’s anything like Hadean Lands, it’s pretty unique.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

What brought them to my attention was the reviews here.  I like that Thaum and now, I believe Hadean, both have the built in parsers/software to play.  That makes it easier.

1893:a world’s fair is another game recommended here I believe.  So i was just wondering if there were any other favorites that came to mind that are as well polished.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Yes, 1893: A World’s Fair Mystery is very polished. Worth a try, given it’s free.

Some other commercial games I liked:
Worldsmith
Blue Lacuna
Worlds Apart
Lydia’s Heart

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Those seem to be story based rather than puzzle based.  Do you recommend any more puzzle oriented?

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

darthmaul - 24 December 2017 02:44 PM

What brought them to my attention was the reviews here.  I like that Thaum and now, I believe Hadean, both have the built in parsers/software to play.  That makes it easier.

All text adventures are very easy to play. You need to download special software and install it just once. Piece of cake. Frotz works for all the old Infocom games and lots of others as well. TADS is another popular interpreter. You’ll find everything you need at the site Oscar posted a link to. And as cyfo pointed out, you can also play many IF games online.

See here for a few games I recommend:
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/10047/

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I’ll second the suggestion of the Enchanter series and Wishbringer - they have some story but are really quite focussed on the puzzles, particularly in the way you have to understand the mechanics of each spell and sometimes think a bit laterally about how you might use it. A very similar thought process to Hadean Lands.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top