• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445Lady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

adventure games about killing people

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Again Nomadsoul made me think. Although i don’t doubt that those games that he mentioned in one thread can’t be realized in adventure game form -i haven’t played them- there is nothing inheritly impossible about adventure game where key goals are about killing. (If King’s Quest games would give bigger score for killing than peaceful solution then first two KQ games would almost be such games.) Another thing i thought -hypotetical reversed murder mysteries where player has to fake alibies etc. would at least have some adventure game elements.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The Deed is a murder mystery where the player is the murderer and has to get away with it.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Is not Lucius about this sort of thing? I have not played it, mind you

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t have any problem with killing someone/people as the protagonist in a game as long as in the context of the story it’s justifiable either from a defence, or revenge PoV.

Lucius in my mind, as an AG, is an abomination as its focus is entirely on mindless ways to kill innocent people by you the player controlling - at least with The Deed from what I can fathom there is some reason. I haven’t come across any other games (Adventures) where YOU cause the death of someone else just for the hell of it!

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

chrissie - 20 December 2017 04:36 PM

I don’t have any problem with killing someone/people as the protagonist in a game as long as in the context of the story it’s justifiable either from a defence, or revenge PoV.

Lucius in my mind, as an AG, is an abomination as its focus is entirely on mindless ways to kill innocent people by you the player controlling - at least with The Deed from what I can fathom there is some reason. I haven’t come across any other games (Adventures) where YOU cause the death of someone else just for the hell of it!

I thought you were the son of the devil. Or something?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 20 December 2017 05:54 PM

I’m the son of the devil? Or something? Nah, I can only claim to be a daughter & my father was never a devil…. or something - just exactly what is your problem that prompts this personal attack on me?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If I remember correctly our AGCPT of Kathy Rain was about killing people, often with darker themes such as fratricide and abortion. I don’t recall anyone having any objections as these underlying themes were uncovered. I didn’t. I thought the deaths/killings were integral to the story.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 20 December 2017 06:50 PM

If I remember correctly our AGCPT of Kathy Rain was about killing people, often with darker themes such as fratricide and abortion. I don’t recall anyone having any objections as these underlying themes were uncovered. I didn’t. I thought the deaths/killings were integral to the story.

Kathy Rain was a great story & every death within it, as you’ve said, is integral to that story. There’s a difference though to me between playing a game with death, murder & tragedy galore within that story & playing a protagonist whose only goal is to puzzle out how to murder innocent people.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2017-04-13

PM

I have to agree with Chrissie. An adventure game that’s “about killing people” I’d probably have a problem with. I also don’t like games and media generally that just have a lot of deaths that aren’t integral or meaningful within the story. This can sometimes simply be the result of lazy storytelling, and/or a cheap way to artificially punch up a boring or mediocre narrative. Kind of like having a bunch of scantily-clad women in a movie to get people to watch it.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

chrissie - 20 December 2017 06:40 PM

I’m the son of the devil? Or something? Nah, I can only claim to be a daughter & my father was never a devil…. or something - just exactly what is your problem that prompts this personal attack on me?

I meant in Lucius.

Silverspook - 20 December 2017 11:07 PM

I have to agree with Chrissie. An adventure game that’s “about killing people” I’d probably have a problem with. I also don’t like games and media generally that just have a lot of deaths that aren’t integral or meaningful within the story. This can sometimes simply be the result of lazy storytelling, and/or a cheap way to artificially punch up a boring or mediocre narrative. Kind of like having a bunch of scantily-clad women in a movie to get people to watch it.

Quentin Tarantino does this all the time in his movies which is why I don’t like them.

I think it could be done tastefully though.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Isn’t killing the starting point of Blade Runner, one of the best adventure games ever made?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 20 December 2017 11:41 PM
chrissie - 20 December 2017 06:40 PM

I meant in Lucius.

Laughing Of course - what was I thinking!  Pan

Yes, you do play as the (6 year old) son of the devil in Lucius – I didn’t get very far into the game before I realised I didn’t want (as the player) to be puzzling out how to cause the death of innocent people for no seemingly good reason other than for the sake of it.

Headycakesofdoom - 20 December 2017 11:41 PM
Silverspook - 20 December 2017 11:07 PM

Quentin Tarantino does this all the time in his movies which is why I don’t like them.

I think it could be done tastefully though.

Do you mean in a game or movie Headycakesof doom?

Lucius is obviously inspired by the 1976 film The Omen which is far more palatable to watch as not only are you just an observer of events, the deaths that occur are meaningful within a more balanced story about a young ‘antichrist’  rather than Lucius where the player has an interactive role with the focus on killing people.

My favourite Tarantino films are Kill Bill 1 & the very different Kill Bill 2. I’m not sure I’d enjoy playing as ‘The Bride’ in a game adaption but to me it would be less objectionable to assassinate those who ‘deserved it’ rather than continue playing Lucius! 

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Walking Dead, Season 1 comes to mind right now.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Well, DreamWeb is all about killing (bad, powerful) people in a number of brutal ways, and it’s a wonderful top-down cyberpunk adventure (despite what some reviews say) Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I have a profound distaste for gratuitous killing in any media, be that of people or animals, which incidentally is part of why I don’t like the deponia games.
Death should be meaningful, to my opinion, and when it is used as such it becomes a compelling and major storytelling element. See The Cat Lady or Edith Finch or Grim Fandango, or even some less impactful but still good game like Kathy Rain or The Black Mirror.

PS : note to self : don’t buy Lucius :-)

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

garbo - 20 December 2017 12:25 PM

Again Nomadsoul made me think. Although i don’t doubt that those games that he mentioned in one thread can’t be realized in adventure game form

By the way, where is this thread?  I tried looking around for this discussion but couldn’t find it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top