• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

OOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is all the fuss with Danganronpa?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2017-12-14

PM

I bought 1-2 Reload version on PS4 and I’m halfway through the 1st game and the writing is just bad. Basically all the characters are so one-dimensional with the “gamer” character being probably every gamer stereotype you can think of while being exaggerated to the nth degree. All the male characters are pretty bad with only one interesting one. Of course, the player character is the blandest person ever. The female characters fair quite a bit better coming much closer to actual humans than the males but still we’re only reaching average quality at best. There’s one female character that has split personalities (which are both highly annoying) but each personality is as one-dimensional as you can get. The plot so far is nothing that great (I have I think 7 characters left alive) and the wacky teddy bear thing Monokuma really isn’t that wacky or entertaining really. The murder plot themselves aren’t anything really above a CSI episode. The whole sorta “wacky” Japanese school setup with students killing each other has been done more interestingly and entertainingly in basically any other Japanese movie I’ve seen with such a setup with even my limited experience of such things.

I started playing Wolfenstein II as I got it cheap on Black Friday and the story and characters are far more entertaining than anything going on in Danganronpa. Shouldn’t something that is a “novel” have better characters and plot than a AAA FPS about killing Nazis? Lastly, if Danganronpa does get good at the end with some satisfying twists, why the fuck is it taking so long to get good? The game / visual novel is longer than a freaking full season of a network TV show with 20+ hour long episodes.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

The appeal is a game that fuses popular elements of Phoenix wright and 999. Self proclaimed literary critics beware: this means an over-the-top story and characters that are not always believable, but ultimately tend to fit in the rules set by the context. You definitely should stop playing because you are not enjoying it. (but I’m assuming you will finish it because the opportunity to complain about the ending is too tempting. Or maybe just look up spoilers. Have fun)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Phoenixmgs - 14 December 2017 04:24 AM

I started playing Wolfenstein II as I got it cheap on Black Friday and the story and characters are far more entertaining than anything going on in Danganronpa

Plot inconsistencies

and miscarriage exploitation is borderline parody

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just loved the plot of these games. So fun. I especially liked the endings. Do note however that they were originally released on handheld systems.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The current dev team in charge of Wolfenstein worked on The Darkness, so the writing game is on point. I personally think the franchise is a bad fit for this team. Who plays a Nazi murder simulator for the story? Sales indicate that it’s not a lot of people as far as AAA murder simulators go.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

Yeah, I didn’t get all far into Danganronpa before giving up too. I wouldn’t say the characters are 1 dimensional, but as is the case with most Japanese story-driven games these days, pacing goes out the window. Conversations are usually 4x longer than they ought to be, and when characters are intentionally as stereotypical as they are (on the surface anyhow) there’s no need to exaggerate or emphasis their tropes at every opportunity.

I think it’s more the concept and atmosphere that people like the most. Yeah, being locked up in a school, having to murder each other, isn’t too far apart from Battle Royale, besides other things, but then Star Wars wasn’t celebrated for its originality either, but its execution.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Terramax - 16 December 2017 08:40 AM

Yeah, I didn’t get all far into Danganronpa before giving up too. I wouldn’t say the characters are 1 dimensional, but as is the case with most Japanese story-driven games these days, pacing goes out the window. Conversations are usually 4x longer than they ought to be, and when characters are intentionally as stereotypical as they are (on the surface anyhow) there’s no need to exaggerate or emphasis their tropes at every opportunity.

I think it’s more the concept and atmosphere that people like the most. Yeah, being locked up in a school, having to murder each other, isn’t too far apart from Battle Royale, besides other things, but then Star Wars wasn’t celebrated for its originality either, but its execution.

Id say its concept + atmosphere + exploration/interaction. Because most VN’s have that drawn out quality you dont like, and then also very little interaction beyond some simple steering choices. This series has gameplay where if the player buys into it they feel more immersed. And the execution is definitely an important point. The style and mechanics will either wrap everything together for you and drive you towards wanting to know what happens, or it wont. Its not a series for everybody for sure.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Presentation is key factor, music by Masafumi Takada and court battles
Its more intense than PW as you keep on throwing everyone off the hook with more players/suspects in the room

Crazy stuff is loved by Japanese, and it somehow ended up in top 10 best games ever in japan in recent polls

Also yes, like persona5 in top10, there is some natural inclination towards school setup

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Japanese adventure games can be very strange, And the Danganronpa games are strange even by Japanese standards. However, some people love playing them anyway.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top