• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #45: Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Yesterday bought the game in an impulse and completed the introduction this morning. I’ll see if I can catch up during the weekend until the museum opens for the public. So far I like the game. No parser trouble at all and the texts are written well.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

cyfoyjvx - 22 December 2017 06:19 AM

I just remembered the xyzzy command (what’s the story behind that anyway? Was it a spell from Zork and Infocom continued to use it in their games?)

I had to look it up in Wikipedia. Apparently it’s a magic word from the Colossal Cave, which is older than Zork. See here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyzzy_(computing)

Anyway, I was surprised to find it worked and yields quite a funny response!

The common reply was “nothing happens” in all possible forms and variations, so Bob Bates’ response is spot on.

David Welbourne has compiled a list of responses. (He’s one of the most dedicated Infocom fans and even appeared in the documentary Get Lamp.)
http://www.plover.net/~davidw/sol/xyzzy.html 

Lady Kestrel - 22 December 2017 06:21 PM

No, I’m still in the lab, Oscar.  Thanks for the offer of a save, but I’m playing on a Mac.

I’m surprised there’s a Mac version of Thaumistry. Or are you using an emulator?

kabouter - 23 December 2017 04:31 AM

Yesterday bought the game in an impulse and completed the introduction this morning. I’ll see if I can catch up during the weekend until the museum opens for the public. So far I like the game. No parser trouble at all and the texts are written well.

Hartelijk welkom kaboutertje! With that nickname you must be Dutch. Smile

I’ll post our next stop tonight. I know, I said that before, but I can’t find a good place, so I’ll have to go on playing till I find one.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I managed to reach the point where the museum has opened to the public. Having fun so far, and I still probably missed a lot of interesting responses. This game really rewards trying anything you can think of - often there is an appropriate (and funny) response.

Karlok - 23 December 2017 09:00 AM

Hartelijk welkom kaboutertje! With that nickname you must be Dutch. Smile

Indeed I am Content

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I find it hard to determine where we stop playing. The game is both linear and non-linear, and you’d think it should be easy. For instance, “Next time you meet Jack”. But I don’t really know what triggers meeting Jack.

So, after some deliberation I’ve come up with: Continue playing until you have 14 spells and around 60 points. I hope that gets everybody on the same page within one week. If that’s not enough time, holiday season and all that, simply >adagia Karlok.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m at 50 points and 11 spells, there’s a lot of places to go but the think command is really handy to organize without giving out much. Trickiest part is discovering what triggers learning new spells.
A footnote to Adela showed up, it said go to wikipedia lol

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

wilco - 26 December 2017 06:46 PM

I’m at 50 points and 11 spells, there’s a lot of places to go but the think command is really handy to organize without giving out much. Trickiest part is discovering what triggers learning new spells.
A footnote to Adela showed it said go to wikipedia lol

I’m on 61 but I want to keep playinnngggggg. Embarassed

How can Karlok make us stop just when things are getting interesting? Meanie.

I think zobraks and diego would appreciate this reference:  Grin
>eat rock
“LUXURY!!!” A wizened old man has stuck his head into the booth. “When I was a lad, we didn’t have rocks just strewn about for the eating. No, we had to quarry them! Had to dig them right out of the ground, we did. And did we have tools? NO! We had to use our teeth! Except we hadn’t got any teeth because rocks was all we had to eat. So we had to gum them out. You young pups don’t know how good you have it, waltzing into places and eating rocks, just as you please. What you lot need is a good thrashing.” The man wanders off again, mumbling to himself.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 26 December 2017 06:46 PM

A footnote to Adela showed up, it said go to wikipedia lol

All footnotes have links to wikipedia or other sites with interesting info.

Oscar - 26 December 2017 07:28 PM

I’m on 61 but I want to keep playinnngggggg. Embarassed

How can Karlok make us stop just when things are getting interesting? Meanie.

You can play to your hearts content, as long as you don’t discuss anything past the 14-spells-60-points line. Tongue

I think zobraks and diego would appreciate this reference:

Good one! Missed it. I don’t think I ever tried to eat anything except the obvious stuff. There are so many nice puns and jokes in this game.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also at 61 points, last action was getting water.
Some very good puzzles, specially liked the teleportation room, anagram shapeshifter and fixing the machine. First one got me stumped for a while, only after using amplia on the wall I realized where I was and what had to do.
Concerning the invisible dog, how many actions are there to get the invisible ball?. I used bark, howl, pant. ALso tried piss but while the owner said it was a good idea he didn’t let me Smile

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

wilco - 27 December 2017 04:41 AM

Concerning the invisible dog, how many actions are there to get the invisible ball?. I used bark, howl, pant. ALso tried piss but while the owner said it was a good idea he didn’t let me Smile

I totally didn’t think of piss! Nice. I used bark, howl and roll over.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

What you lot need is a good thrashing.

I fully concur.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hey! You can’t claim to have unconditional love for adventure games without having the same love for all those who play them.

Sarcastic

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I try to love the players as well, but sometimes it doesn’t work. Smile

On topic: You guys seem to have a great thread and a lot of fun here. It makes me regret I don’t play IF.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 27 December 2017 05:57 AM

What you lot need is a good thrashing.

I fully concur.

The master of selective cutting and pasting is back.

zobraks - 27 December 2017 06:46 AM

My love for adventure games is unconditional and blind…

...I don’t play IF.

zobraks Pan

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 27 December 2017 04:41 AM

Also at 61 points, last action was getting water.

Sigh… I knew the 14-spells-60-points stop was idiotic. I have 60 points and 14 spells but I have not fixed the machine, no water and not even the anagram solved.

Didn’t think of howl and cyfo’s roll over. I had to restore a few times to see the game’s response tofetch, sit, lick, shake (the game doesn’t understand “paw”), bite, growl, drool, and wag tail.

Discovered just now that you can also ask at least a couple of people about Steve Meretzky. Here’s the pizza vendor:

>ask vendor about meretzky
“Tall guy? Beard? Mother dropped him on his head when he was a kid? Never heard of him.”

>a infocom
“Say, I remember them! They published those cool books that you had to read with those special markers. Kinda thin on plot, but insanely profitable!”

I remember Infocom’s Mike Dornbrook talking about the profitable hint books in the documentary Get Lamp. Smile And the vendor shouts “Dornbrook’s pizza!”

>a mike dornbrook
“I used to be in the lawyering racket. But it just wasn’t for me. One day I got to thinking, my name anagrams to ‘Damn Horrible Cook’, which is accurate, except the one thing I’m great at is cooking pizza. So here I am.”

LOL! God knows what other mysteries this game hides. Bob Bates must have had a lot of fun developing Thaumistry.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Any playthrough is as good as the input of its participants. I can’t do it on my own. So let’s finish the game and call it a day.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top