• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is there an adventure game type you haven’t given a chance? And why not?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 15 November 2017 07:31 AM

that’s how I was raised.

Maaaan!, how can one steer away from 31-32 years of only adventuring?

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

cyfoyjvx - 15 November 2017 04:53 AM

Maybe try Stasis too - not as good as SOMA imo, but more puzzles so might be more up your alley.

I played and loved Stasis. But I consider it as a classic p’n'c adventure game, although it’s full of gore and death. In my book, I classify horror games in terms of gameplay (first person+exploration+occasional puzzles+hide’n'seek+jump scares). Otherwise, I’m a fan of dark and bloody content. I would definitely give SOMA a chance. It seems like a game that tries to horrify with atmosphere rather than cheap jump scare tricks.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Can’t get into ARG stuff like Black Watchmen. In concept I find it interesting but the puzzles become way too obtuse for solo play.
Casual/HOG are also not my thing, tried Drawn and Tiny Bang Story and got bored.

badlemon - 14 November 2017 09:36 AM

- jAGs - I don’t have a handheld nintendo. And I have the feeling that most of them lack exploration. All I see are dialogue puzzles. (On the other hand I love Manga and Anime and will gladly play some of the oldies like Snatcher).

You should try Danganronpa or Zero Escape games on PC. Danganronpa has a bit of exploration along with dialogue puzzles and Zero Escape has escape the room puzzles with a different endings. But Danganronpa does get a bit gory.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 15 November 2017 09:01 AM
Doom - 15 November 2017 07:31 AM

that’s how I was raised.

Maaaan!, how can one steer away from 31-32 years of only adventuring?

If you have a choice between a walking simulator and an RPG, always choose the latter. Even the poorest examples offer more in terms of adventuring.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Doom - 15 November 2017 10:31 AM

If you have a choice between a walking simulator and an RPG, always choose the latter. Even the poorest examples offer more in terms of adventuring.

I’ll mention games like The Stanley Parable (and maybe The Beginner’s Guide) as an exception. Although technically a walking sim at its core and far away from traditional adventure gaming, it introduces a really unique way of storytelling and an experience that’s far more compelling than your usual interactive movie.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

badlemon - 15 November 2017 04:21 AM

Thank you for the recommendations Karlok. I will give those a second look.

If you’ve already tried them and didn’t like them enough to continue playing, I’d say forget it. Preferences are usually very solid.

Doom - 15 November 2017 10:31 AM

Heh, I’m the exact opposite. I’ll always choose the walking sim. I find RPGs immensely boring. Someone mentioned an RPG with one thousand characters. ONE THOUSAND! That’s enough to send me screaming in the other direction.

After reading the posts in this thread I count myself lucky for the umpteenth time because I enjoy every type of adventure game. I haven’t played many console games or mobile phone ones, but I have nothing against them. The only subgenre, if you can call it that, I hate are the “casual” adventures. With the notable exception of most Ravenhearst Mystery Case Files.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Karlok - 15 November 2017 11:00 AM

If you’ve already tried them and didn’t like them enough to continue playing, I’d say forget it. Preferences are usually very solid.

I know the games but I actually haven’t tried them, so there’s a chance for me Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

badlemon - 15 November 2017 11:10 AM

I know the games but I actually haven’t tried them, so there’s a chance for me Smile

Okay, in that case you should really try Zork: Grand Inquisitor. Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

For me, I never could get into casual adventure games with hidden object elements. I just find most of the stories and dialogue in them uninteresting. That being said, I have heard good things about the Drawn series, and I have not given them a try yet though it is on my to try list.

I also can’t get into text adventures. I know they were a big deal back in the day, but having started playing adventures in the LucasArts era, I have missed out on all those classics. Now adays, I get frustrated with the parser limitations and I just feel theinterface hasn’t aged very well.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

badlemon - 15 November 2017 10:59 AM

I’ll mention games like The Stanley Parable (and maybe The Beginner’s Guide) as an exception. Although technically a walking sim at its core and far away from traditional adventure gaming, it introduces a really unique way of storytelling and an experience that’s far more compelling than your usual interactive movie.

I agree, with really unique experimental games you don’t pay much attention to the core gameplay. Bad Mojo was like this, I didn’t mind “wandering around doing nothing” at all.

Heh, I’m the exact opposite. I’ll always choose the walking sim. I find RPGs immensely boring. Someone mentioned an RPG with one thousand characters. ONE THOUSAND! That’s enough to send me screaming in the other direction.

At least you can always choose whether to listen, kill or ignore most of them, or run into the woods to live as a hermit. Walking sims offer no alternative, they see me as a handless, voiceless, brainless protagonist whose only purpose in life is to uncover some linear story.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Doom - 15 November 2017 04:38 PM

At least you can always choose whether to listen, kill or ignore most of them, or run into the woods to live as a hermit. Walking sims offer no alternative, they see me as a handless, voiceless, brainless protagonist whose only purpose in life is to uncover some linear story.

Though that is true for some of these games, there are others who tell the story in a truly cool and unique way. For example, the flashback recordings in Tacoma that you are able to pause, rewind and fastforward and watch from different peoples’ perspectives is a really cool way to unfold the mystery there. Or, the stories in Edith Finch told from the perspectives of the different family members each with a unique gameplay twist keeps things fresh there.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I think I’ve tried most styles of games that fall into the AG bracket - yes, I’ve tried a couple of text adventure & they’re interesting up to a point but I like the reward of pictures so text with graphics is okay. I’ve probably veered away from walking sims - I read everything about Dear Esther & decided no - I don’t want to play it. I like to play games that offer me entertainment without me having to look for it if that makes sense especially when often I’ve had little time to indulge in playing anything!

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

SoccerDude28 - 15 November 2017 04:28 PM

I also can’t get into text adventures. I know they were a big deal back in the day, but having started playing adventures in the LucasArts era, I have missed out on all those classics. Now adays, I get frustrated with the parser limitations and I just feel theinterface hasn’t aged very well.

Difficult to understand, since Lucasarts interface is far more limited than most parsers. Monkey Island gives you a choice of 9 actions. You can’t kick, punch, sing, dance, taste, kiss, wait, drop, show, and many more. This means so much less opportunities for dialogues and puzzling.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude28 - 15 November 2017 04:28 PM

I always feel that people exaggerate the parser limitations of the 80s. Maybe that’s just me loving text adventures. But the solution is very simple: Play a modern text adventure with a state-of-the-art parser. Smile. You’d be surprised what a developer like Emily Short can do with her parsers. Andrew Plotkin’s Hadean Lands is another good example. And of course the recently released Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way by Bob Bates. That parser even recognizes common typos.

I agree, with really unique experimental games you don’t pay much attention to the core gameplay. Bad Mojo was like this, I didn’t mind “wandering around doing nothing” at all.

What do you mean, “doing nothing”? You were a busy little cockroach, solving puzzles like getting an answering machine to play its messages for you, killing rats and spiders, drugging your landlord, avoiding the lethal claws of Franz the cat, saving other cockroaches, etcetera etcetera. Very creative puzzles too. Look Momma, no hands!

Walking sims offer no alternative, they see me as a handless, voiceless, brainless protagonist whose only purpose in life is to uncover some linear story.

That’s right. Isn’t it wonderful.  Cool If I want to solve puzzles, I’ll play a game that has me solve puzzles.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ok, Raphael. Smile

chrissie - 15 November 2017 04:52 PM

I think I’ve tried most styles of games that fall into the AG bracket - yes, I’ve tried a couple of text adventure & they’re interesting up to a point but I like the reward of pictures so text with graphics is okay. I’ve probably veered away from walking sims - I read everything about Dear Esther & decided no - I don’t want to play it. I like to play games that offer me entertainment without me having to look for it if that makes sense especially when often I’ve had little time to indulge in playing anything!

Dear Esther is really short, you probably spend more time reading about it than in an playthrough of it. One of good thing of the genre, can finish in one session, like watching movie or reading a short story (in this case a poetic one).
Walking sims are no replacement for adventures or other genres but the experience of something like What Remains of Edith Finch doens’t need more interactivity or puzzles, it would detract from it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top