• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Have not we ALL got it here?...

Total Posts: 5834

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

So, who’s providing the premise of the story? - let’s start with the intro in theory to start with & then discuss? Actually - I’d like to be in charge of the overall construction putting all together?  Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

chrissie - 05 November 2017 06:10 PM

So, who’s providing the premise of the story? - let’s start with the intro in theory to start with & then discuss? Actually - I’d like to be in charge of the overall construction putting all together?  Smile

Advie has posted the summary in his 2nd post

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/10193/#140975

which i guess is from his Bro’s book
or atleast inspired from it, which also he shared recently

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18910286-insanity

So its gonna be like Alice games (byMcGee) or Wolfamongus where we can take liberties or can make the story and characters based loosely on source material (alice and stuff)

For now you/advie/anyone etc can work on Basic story from start to end , story board/dialogues and then how to fit in engine/game we are trying to make since storytelling will depend on that

Then we can think of puzzles to fit the narrative

So first step is to start narrowing down which setting, genre, theme, tone etc for the story

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I love the concept. But, regrettably believe it is doomed. Many years ago a group of people, maybe five, thought of writing a game storyline. This was on GameBoomers. It started out quite well. Then people who weren’t part of the original group started contributing. And then others started to edit the original thread to fit what they thought was a better story. And when members of the original group complained about this intrusion, the “Doyens” as we used to call them, kicked us off the forum because we weren’t being inclusive enough.

I have never seen a situation where this kind of “collaborative” effort works.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

chrissie - 05 November 2017 05:42 PM

If we can now leave all of the very bigoted views behind from WiltingWit & Oscar I would suggest for this project using the game engine AGS as I’ve seen so many variations as to it’s use & I thinks it’s free?  Smile

“Bigotry” describes exactly your attitude - believing someone is inferior and worth less because of their talents or skills. Calling someone who lacks those biased value judgements bigoted does you no favors at all.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 05 November 2017 08:32 PM

which i guess is from his Bro’s book
or atleast inspired from it, which also he shared recently

WELL the GOOD NEWS is that i talk to my brother today as he seem to like the idea even much more than yesterday and offered that the game could be BASED on any book of is 70+ Books, and he also has two of them with short stories, isnt that great.

maybe as a starter you can surf thru Cameron Jace’s book on Good read or Amazon, read their summary(s) and come up to us with a number of exciting book, we can vote on thru their summary or maybe we neeed to see a mechanism for choosing which book we will be working on , or maybe we can depend on you at this criteria as every body should has hos own criteria without interfering with orders because from you previous post you seem willing to read chosen book (later-later on of course)and come from it with a rather game designed story that have:
1. the charterer looks and description (dialogues???)
2. Locations, which will need you/us to find a programmer or the one who willing to take the the responsibility of dealing with AGS software

and if you needed any of those full books, dont worry about buying them just send me A PM with their name and i will direct you thru how you are gonna get your free copies in mobi, epub, and PDF format to your email .

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Given that ‘kicking Phlebas’s ass in quizzes’ isn’t a strictly essential part of creating an adventure game, that seems a sensible second choice of role for you Smile

I’d like to help on the programming side if I can (programming being my field of expertise, though I have no experience with AGS yet) though I’m very short of spare time at the moment…

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Saw my username in there.
Why not? Always happy to encourage adventure game creation. Well I can distribute the cookies Grin

Ok to go with the graphics part if I can be of any help (3d backgrounds or childish watercolor illustrations - no characters for me please).
But only when I have the time (after the kickstarter of RealMyha, and my other projects would remain a priority)
And I won’t do all the graphics on my own! Or it will be veeeeeeery slow Wink

I can only recommend you guys to find other indie devs to join, even if they don’t say they will for sure, at least find motivated people. In my case I’m always motivated but I can’t promise that my skills will be useful (and again there is the problem of free time).

If the people on AG forums find it is not the right place for this project, you can use the Icehouse collective forums to chat, it’s one of our purposes to try to encourage creativity, so…
It’s quite empty and desertic right now (there are hidden forums with more activity), but we can create a dedicated category in case you’re interested.
http://forum.theicehouse.fr/
Registration is free and easy.

I also recommend to try to ask artists and devs from engine forums if they’re interested, such as Adventure Game Studio, Visionaire Studio, Adventure Maker, Wintermute, Game Maker, Unity etc. There are many who won’t read this thread but may want to join.
Oh you’ll have to choose a game engine anyway at some point, so you’ll need the programming team before the graphics. The skills required to create a game with AGS or Visionaire are very different of Unity or Unreal. Not the same ambition, not necessarily the same public.

BUT contact people only AFTER you have the game ready on paper: make it EASY and FAST to understand what is this project and what it is about.

==> Prepare a good game design document. The game has to be finished and ready to produce in order to convince enough skilled people to get involved.
Learn first what is a game design document -GDD- if you need, how developers use them, and gather your team to build the game. We need to learn all about story, technique, if it will be 2d or 3d, the size of the world, the characters, the quantity of animations to produce, the public, etc.
Here maybe? https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/how-and-why-to-write-a-great-game-design-document—cms-23545

Even better, after the GDD, build a rough game with pencils (create sketches, scan them, and use them in a game engine to make a first prototype). Like that: https://www.indiemag.fr/sites/default/files/article/c/coral-cave/37-gribouillis/article_img05_croquis_0.jpg
Then the graphics designers will make their stuff and you’ll be able to replace the rough designs with the final ones, and step by step the game will come to life.
You don’t need specific art skills to begin, all you need is ideas and motivation.

I only want to warn that it will be a long crusade, making a game even for fun is tough and requires that every participant wil work seriously. There will be many mistakes, and that can result in a failure of course, but if we are all motivated and can find common interests in the project, then why not? If everyone gives up at the beginning then it’s sure that nothing will ever happen!

(Sorry I won’t be able to come back to post more replies before a while, I need finish the KS campaign first - anyway I wouldn’t be of any help at this stage.)
Cheers!

And this?
http://indiegames.com/2013/11/opinion_what_not_to_do_when_st.html

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Simon_ASA for your very encouraging & informative post + the useful links!  Thumbs Up

rtrooney - 05 November 2017 09:11 PM

.............Many years ago a group of people, maybe five, thought of writing a game storyline…......... This was on GameBoomers. It started out quite well.. ..............And then others started to edit the original thread to fit what they thought was a better story.

This shouldn’t happen as the idea seems to be to base the story on one of those written by Advie’s brother Cameron Jace.

nomadsoul - 05 November 2017 08:32 PM

So its gonna be like Alice games (byMcGee) or Wolfamongus where we can take liberties or can make the story and characters based loosely on source material (alice and stuff)

For now you/advie/anyone etc can work on Basic story from start to end , story board/dialogues and then how to fit in engine/game we are trying to make since storytelling will depend on that

Then we can think of puzzles to fit the narrative

So first step is to start narrowing down which setting, genre, theme, tone etc for the story

Even before that I think we need to choose which one of Cameron’s stories we’d like to use.

Advie - 05 November 2017 11:28 PM

maybe as a starter you can surf thru Cameron Jace’s book on Good read or Amazon, read their summary(s) and come up to us with a number of exciting book, we can vote on thru their summary ..........
.......... and if you needed any of those full books, dont worry about buying them just send me A PM with their name and i will direct you thru how you are gonna get your free copies in mobi, epub, and PDF format to your email .

I’ve had a look & to avoid the project being over-ambitious would suggest one of the shorter stories from The Grimm Diaries Prequels either 1-6 or 7-10 which I’m quite happy to read if other members here agree with using one of those stories.
Personally I like the idea of Rumpelstein (which I think is no 7?) which appeals as apart from liking the original story apparently this prequel ends on a cliff-hanger? so there’s the opportunity to conclude it differently obviously with the consent of Cameron. But I’ll go along with any other suggestions. Smile

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

chrissie - 06 November 2017 07:02 AM
Advie - 05 November 2017 11:28 PM

maybe as a starter you can surf thru Cameron Jace’s book on Good read or Amazon, read their summary(s) and come up to us with a number of exciting book, we can vote on thru their summary ..........
.......... and if you needed any of those full books, dont worry about buying them just send me A PM with their name and i will direct you thru how you are gonna get your free copies in mobi, epub, and PDF format to your email .

I’ve had a look & to avoid the project being over-ambitious would suggest one of the shorter stories from The Grimm Diaries Prequels either 1-6 or 7-10 which I’m quite happy to read if other members here agree with using one of those stories.
Personally I like the idea of Rumpelstein (which I think is no 7?) which appeals as apart from liking the original story apparently this prequel ends on a cliff-hanger? so there’s the opportunity to conclude it differently obviously with the consent of Cameron. But I’ll go along with any other suggestions. Smile

Just as long as he doesn’t turn out to be called Ifnkovhgroghprm Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Phlebas - 06 November 2017 07:20 AM

Just as long as he doesn’t turn out to be called Ifnkovhgroghprm Smile

Laughing ....but it could turn out to have an interesting puzzle to end with…...yoo-hoo Lady Kestrel!  Smile

Total Posts: 5586

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Hmm.  The wheels are turning. Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

if its Rumpelstein: The Grimm Diaries Prequels 9 you are interested in, PM with your email and i will send a PM to direct you thru how you are gonna get your free copy (at which format you ‘d like) to your email

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Advie - I will get back to you on that kind offer sometime over the weekend if there are no other ideas put forward as the 1st thing to establish is what story.

I’ve just caught up with your original suggestion…...

Advie - 04 November 2017 12:16 AM

its sumthing like Edna, she enters the asylum because she believes that wonderland is real. and there she meets a patient who is very important into the asylum, he had even been given the greenlight to depart, but he likes it here,  the nurses even started calling him ‘Doctor! anyways, from there starts the puzzling when they both confront each other, the patient/Doctor starts to threw her crumb of breads to see how passionate she really is and a believer of wonderland.
there are puzzles made here & there’ described and even solved at the book…  since the author himself had been an adventure gamer for some time in his past life .... he even
finished Riven.. Laughing

........which I guess is based on this book:

As said I will go along with the popular choice. My own thought being with that one is that it’s a longer story?,  based on the well-used Wonderland concept although in this case presented alternatively but all the same perhaps a different tale (e.g. Rumpelstein) could be completely different? 

It would be good if anyone else interested could browse through some of the summaries of the other 70+ stories to offer other suggestions or go along with one or the other of the 2 choices so far just to get started!
Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Rumpelstein have some good quotes that can work as great dialogues and taglines
We can take more liberties as to how his journey will shape him to become more evil/neutral/good, and can also play with his circumstances which can be puzzles
Bit ambitious but good source material

“Grey is only a shade lighter than black; it never leads to pure white.”

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I’m not familiar with the stories but I agree that a shorter story might be better and that something other than Alice feels fresher. Rumpelstein looks like fun and sounds less similar to any game I already know!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top