• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery/Detective Desk Work’s Investigation

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think rarely they come intriguing and well thought, mostly, they are just some repetitive tasks from one game to the other; from copying files, comparing pictures or notes, uploading data to the main frame, analyzing prints or hand writing, finding location on maps and so on.

for me which i consider my opinion at this issue isn’t fully sufficient since i dont mostly play or like AGs as Carol Reed(s) nor Sherlock Holmes and didn’t even play Sinking Island or any of those real full Detective games, but i still love these kinda tasks as a ‘part time’ of adventures such as in games like PQ, Laura Bow Memento Mori and Art of Murder..etc.

but there must be some parts that really have triggered you, found it most satisfying as it could be ‘satisfying’ to any real life Detective getting accurate results out of his Investigations… some glories moments about these desk work investigations that i might ve never experienced (yet)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

You have some games that are all about the desk work although not really typical adventure detective games.
Her Story about looking in past video evidence with keywords
Orwell about investigating social media.
Papers, Please that it’s about being a border crossing immigration officer.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Wait a couple of years until my game is finished and it will blow your mind.  Wink

This video presents some good points on the subject although I don’t fully agree with all of it.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

Detective games are my favorite in the whole world. I’ve played all the Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christies, Face Noir, Art of Murder, Sinking Island,etc. I’ve been on a retro kick lately so I’m getting ready to replay Post Mordem and Still Life 1&2. I hope they’re as good now as the memory.

But the best one for me was the Black Watchmen. I played the first season with a friend and about half of the second season until RL got in the way. It has all of the tasks, “copying files, comparing pictures or notes, uploading data to the main frame, analyzing prints or hand writing, finding location on maps”, you mentioned and more like analyzing sound files and solving riddles based on legends and myths. I think I must have been a researcher in a happy past life because I loved it. For anyone who hasn’t played it, the Black Watchmen is not a standard murder mystery investigated by a detective but investigation is the primary gameplay. In the game, you’re a secret agent given a mission and you have to unravel the clues. The game does take it even further with real life (like away from your computer and out on the real streets) missions but I didn’t go that far. My husband already thinks I’m crazy with my games and I’d rather not prove him right. This game is an ARG and the devs really did do a great job of setting up an alternate universe with a ton of website, email addresses and social media sites. It’s not a perfect game, they kind of lost control of the story toward the end, but more fun and less juicy than puppies and as satisfying a game as any I’ve ever played. Some of the missions were quite short and easy. Others took hours and made me sweat blood. It was great to play with a friend, comparing notes and giving each other support or a nudge when needed.

I think any detective or secret agent would have loved the “Ah ha!” moments. I nearly broke my arm patting myself on the back.

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I agree detective games also are one of my favorite sub genres of adventure games, from gabriel knight, to blade runner, even a game like broke sword dabbles in the detective genre, especially at the beginning. Even the cheeky over acted ones charm the pants off me like contradiction.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jofog - 23 October 2017 05:54 PM

I think any detective or secret agent would have loved the “Ah ha!” moments. I nearly broke my arm patting myself on the back.

i love your enthusiasm for these games, but dont you hate it when they are not thought and done well.

those stupid not well thought or studied puzzles i really despise, here at Art of Murder you are giving the task to analyze this wave, the solution is to press analyze and this shows out the clip which has the motorcycle noise and filter those noise parts so you get to hear the music clearly at the back ground, but his is absurd,  if you remove the noise of the motorcycle you still have many other noises to deal with, the practical way this is done, is by finding the place where the music frequency comes forward (depending on the acoustics) and tag as mush as you can of this wanted frequency and then filter the wave upon it, so it reduces all all the frequencies and leave that one upfront but how stupidly vise verse this was done, got me too frustrated that after all my years working as a studio sound eng couldnt solve this puzzle, because developers are just creating sumthing that aint true or real in life, maybe they read it somewhere at some misleading magazine or sumthing,

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

Advie, the sound file analysis was one of the puzzles that made me sweat blood. In the Watchmen game, the player is given a clue but no in-game options to solve it. Some of the puzzles can be solved, old school, on a piece of paper, like cryptograms. Others, like encryptions, require addition software or extensive internet research.  When I did the sound file puzzle, my Win10 computer was just a couple of months old. I hadn’t decided what software I wanted to update so I only had Windows Media Player and Winamp on it. I hunted around and found Audacity which would basically do the job and it was free. So I downloaded the sound file, isolated the tracks, removed noise and fiddled with the speed, reverb and a bunch of other confusing things and played it backwards. I’m not an audiophile so it was hard work. I finally found the clue only to discover the darn thing was in another language. I’m an American so speaking other languages is not my strong suit. I could only understand one word. So, after two hours and a headache, I went on the Black Watchmen forum and found a translation which let me solve the rest of the puzzle. You probably could have solved it easily with the proper software and the knowledge to use it, if you speak the language in the sound file. I only gave myself a small pat on the back for getting as far as I did. And I felt no guilt for cheating. It was an honest puzzle, well executed and fairly presented albeit quite difficult for me.  It was my own language deficiencies that caused the problem.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Woow, that is super dedication, but now i have to tell husband that you are really crazy!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I fear I may never be satisfied with another detective game again after reading this conference paper by Clara Fernandez-Vara about how to design a Sherlock Holmes game:

http://www.digra.org/digital-library/publications/the-games-afoot-designing-sherlock-holmes/

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

Advie - 25 October 2017 04:20 AM

Woow, that is super dedication, but now i have to tell husband that you are really crazy!

Oh, let’s not tell him that. He’s better off not knowing.

Phlebas, that’s an absolutely fascinating paper. It successfully points out the limitations of video games in the area of true player participation and her ideas for improvement are workable. But every video game must follow a script, story and code, in an orderly fashion to work. There is always only one correct answer for each puzzle. How the player gets there is the interesting part which I think was the point of her paper. She wrote it in 2013 so I’m wondering if she’s played any of the choices matter games since then. Different branching paths was not one of her suggestions probably because she was using Sherlock Holmes as her standard and all puzzles would have to be resolved in a Holmesian manner.

I’ve loved the Sherlock games but one of the most tedious puzzles I’ve ever come across was in Sherlock Holmes versus Arsene Lupin. Finding that damn bird at the Tower of London was a huge pain in the neck and very little fun.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jofog - 25 October 2017 11:58 AM
Advie - 25 October 2017 04:20 AM

Oh, let’s not tell him that. He’s better off not knowing.

ok! Hushhh Laughing

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Phlebas - 25 October 2017 04:59 AM

I fear I may never be satisfied with another detective game again after reading this conference paper by Clara Fernandez-Vara about how to design a Sherlock Holmes game:

http://www.digra.org/digital-library/publications/the-games-afoot-designing-sherlock-holmes/

That was an interesting read. Only skimmed through it but it seems to me that the author was more focusing on how to best adapt Holmes as a literary figure to a game than how to make the best possible detective game. Frogwares latest two is the best ones on that very subject IMO and they were released after that paper was written.

Jofog - 25 October 2017 11:58 AM

There is always only one correct answer for each puzzle.

Not necessarily. There is the possibility to have dynamic puzzles and stories. It’s a very tricky thing to pull off though.  Sarcastic

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Nothing came closer before or after to a couple of puzzles in Spycraft: The Great Game when it comes to “police” everyday task feel, with analyzing sound files, matching faces, finding clues in archive text etc. I suspect the similar feel is in In Memoriam/Evidence: The Last Ritual, but I was unable to made them run.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Black Watchmen surpasses Sypcraft

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Have yet to find a game that has depicted realistic investigative work better than Hopkins FBI.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Origami - 25 October 2017 05:08 PM

Have yet to find a game that has depicted realistic investigative work better than Hopkins FBI.

That’s because it’s based on a true story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top