• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games you changed your opinion about

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Anyone ever disliked a game and then liked it after trying it again? Or the other way around? Tell us about it. Why did you like/dislike it first? What made you change your mind?

Here are a few of mine.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ( Smile -> Frown ): I used to be obsessed with Dr. Jones as a kid, so naturally this game was a chance to BE him. It was only later I discovered how badly made it was - just a retread (and advertisement) of the movie with frustrating combat, mazes and deaths.

Leisure Suit Larry ( Smile -> Frown ): It’s great to play Larry as a pre-pubescent kid at a friend’s house, knowing it’s something you probably shouldn’t be doing. When you get older it’s not so great, and in fact you feel pretty silly, though I’m sure Al Lowe would disagree.

Woodruff and the Schnibble ( Frown -> Smile ): I was excited to try this after hearing it was by the developers of Goblins. Only it was nothing like Goblins. The story was almost incomprehensible, the main character didn’t fit into any category like the Goblins did. It was just too… weird. A few years later I tried again. It’s still not my favorite game but I get its charm now.

Rhem ( Frown -> Smile ): First time I played it I thought it was just a series of puzzles strung together by a wafer-thin storyline. Second time I thought exactly the same thing - the difference was, I loved it! It was then I realized that the story wasn’t the only reason I played adventure games.

Broken Sword ( Smile -> Frown ): I don’t like George, the naive and overconfident American. I was young when I first played the game so it didn’t bother me, but like Larry I just can’t play a character I don’t empathize with. And not only that - the endless network of villains and bad-guys in the style of a 50’s movie is a topic I couldn’t care less about, and instead of being glued to the screen in suspense like the game wanted me to be, I just tuned out. But it’s well written, I’ll grant that.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

Sam & Max: Hit the Road ( Frown -> Smile ): First time I played it, I was put off by its paper thin storyline and the mundane, tourist-attraction-based locations. Also, the interface was quite tedious and ugly compared to the traditional SCUMM. But when I grew older I was able to appreciate the humor and the American culture satirical surrealism of it all much better. It changed my perception of the game.

I can’t remember another time I changed my mind this much. I liked Toonstruck quite a bit better when I finally played the English version (first time was German), but I don’t think that’s fair to mention.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Tne Myst Series
I didn’t get to try Myst until a couple of years after it was released. Not until Win 98 and I could afford a new fangled CD-ROM. The game was great looking but I had no idea of what was going on or what I was supposed to do. I gave up after little progress never to revisit it or the series. It wasn’t until a few years ago when my skills as an adventure game player, and at a time when there wasn’t any games I wanted to play that I decide to give it another try, I gave in and purchased the DVD release of Myst III: Exile. I loved it and played the whole series including the URU’s back to back. It was a fantastic ride that I wished I could experience again. So with that in mind I ventured in the world of…...

The Rhem Series
Just like with Myst when Rhem was released I tried it and was getting nowhere fast and gave up. After finishing the Myst Series above I dove into the Rhem world and didn’t stop until I played them all. Just loved it and can’t wait for the next one to release.

Sure would like to see another Myst game…hmm…I wonder how much a Kickstarter for a new Myst game would reach…1, 2, 3 million? What do you think? Are you listening Rand?...Please!

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Great thread, although, as Oscar stated, one simple reason for changing opinion is playing the same game as a kid and as an adult. That’s why often our favorite games are those that stand that “test”.

Anyhow - The Last Express  ConfusedHeart Eyes It was an utter confusion first time I played it, and I didn’t particularly like it. It was “Game of the month” in my fav game magazine but I just didn’t seem to catch on it. However, years later I gave it a second chance and it was all smooth from there - it became one of my fav games.

Runaway 2LaughingNeutral  Now, this is a special case where I changed my opinion DURING the only one time I’ve played it. I though the first act in the jungle was great, but soon after that the game lost me. I’m not claiming it’s a bad game, and I’m not saying I won’t play it again.

Ringworld 1: Revenge of the Patriarch  Thumbs Up  >  Angry  It was one of the first adventure games I’ve played and even though I haven’t finished it back then, I had good memories of it. I’ve played it recently again but “too much” story and little puzzles with timed sequences wasn’t something I had recollection of. Again, not a bad game per se (it could be that I was already “sensitive” to the new interactive movie trend Grin), and I’ll definitely finish it someday.

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened  Thumbs Up  >  Content  I thought it was awful few years ago, but now I’ve quite enjoyed it. A similar case like with Arsene Lupin.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

One of them for me is Simon the Sorcerer 3D.  I started playing it when it first came out, and was totally confused by the roads that seemed to go on forever and it was impossible for me to understand the map. I tried it again a few years ago, and now it is one of my favorite games.

another one is Grim Fandango. I was so upset about the keyboard control and I couldn’t get past it and hated the game when I first started.  Now, I think it is a treasure.

Goblins (gobliins, gobliiins). I loved them when they first came out, but, tried to play them a few months ago and they bored me.

sometimes I just wonder if it is the mood I am in at the time of playing that determines how much I like a game, or just that my taste has changed.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m playing “Ace Attorney 1” for a second time - and I just love this game. I played it 6 years ago and just thought it was only OK.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Great thread concept! Thumbs Up

The only game that comes to mind right now is Sam & Max Hit the Road. I thought it was kind of average when I first played it (especially compared to other LucasArts games), but I enjoyed it a lot more in my replay last year.
I think it’s because I *got* more of the humour than I did when I was 14 or 15…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Leisure Suit Larry 2
This game is merciless and has a game breaking bug. However, as I’ve grown older and slightly more sharper with these games I’ve come to appreciate its dead ends and timed segments in an age of watered down mechanics. Although I wouldn’t have given the game a second chance if I didn’t find the the whole game funny and Al Lowe really upped the ante with the quality of comedy. It’s not so much reliant on smut this time around and instead there’s more focus on absurd situations and running gags. I still think it’s merciless but the game shouldn’t be forgotten.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yes, nice topic!

All the Sierra Quests and the Larry games. From good to bad. I don’t really know what happened. I loved them in the ‘80s and now they bore me to death. I didn’t know any better then, Sierra and text adventures were all I had. But we’ve come such a long way since then, they now pale in comparison.

The Lost Crown. I loved that game! From great to mediocre. I was fascinated by the many little details, like the photographs of Lucy and Nigel in places where they’d never been together.  I thought the details would add up to something meaningful, would explain the mysterious story that nobody was able to unravel. But Jonathan Boakes himself finally said he’d added them just for the fun of it. Disjointed stuff. That was such a disappointment that I’ve never felt the same about the game. From 4.5 stars to 2.5. It doesn’t stop me from looking forward to his new games, but at the same time I’m wary. Boakes is great at creating a great atmosphere and wonderful graphics, and not so great at creating a coherent story.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I’ve often been changing my mind inside a same series of games :

Runaway 1 Heart  -> Sick  Very interested when the game went out because it was in 3D with a 2D style, I stayed very enthusiastic during the first hours of gameplay. But the more I played, the more I started to hate the graphic style with the characters in cell-shading and I couldn’t get into the story…
Runaway 2 Sick  -> Heart  Deceived by Runaway 1, I never thought I’d play the second one, but I won the game on the Nintendo DS. That was a great surprise, and I enjoyed it until the end !

Myst 2 Sick  -> Heart  First game of the Myst series I tried, I was not very interested in the beginning by Riven. I was at school years ago when a friend lend me the game, but the slideshow thing dind’t encourage me. I finally tried it and it’s now one of my favourite games !
Myst 1 Heart  -> Sick  Because I played Riven, I wanted to try Myst 1 and I wanted it very very much. That’s probably the reason why I disliked it very very much ! I was disapointed by the graphic style and I just couldn’t find the ambiance I loved in Riven.
Myst 3 Sick  -> Heart  Myst 3 was released when I finished Myst 1, and I just didn’t want to try again, deceived by the first episode. I waited several years before playing it, and I just thought I was silly not to try it before. What I loved in Riven was there !

Broken Sword 1 Sick  -> Heart  I was quite young when it was released, so I was not interested. Time passed, and when I started playing adventure games, I thought this one was too old (stupid, uh ?). I got the Nintendo DS version and .. wow ! This game is awesome !!!

Zack and Wiki Sick  -> Heart  This game released on wii was strange, it looked like a game made for children and I was not interested AT ALL ! But because it got good reviews, I finaly gave it a try and that was a very good surprise ! The game is fun and very well thought, and my only regret is that it was released on wii only !

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Ascovel - 20 October 2012 01:32 PM

Sam & Max: Hit the Road ( Frown -> Smile ): First time I played it, I was put off by its paper thin storyline and the mundane, tourist-attraction-based locations. Also, the interface was quite tedious and ugly compared to the traditional SCUMM. But when I grew older I was able to appreciate the humor and the American culture satirical surrealism of it all much better. It changed my perception of the game.

I can’t remember another time I changed my mind this much. I liked Toonstruck quite a bit better when I finally played the English version (first time was German), but I don’t think that’s fair to mention.

I loved it when I first played it as a child; but it blew my mind when I replayed it recently, and was able to understand the surreal humour (how did ‘The Cone o’ Tragedy’ not make me convulse so much before?) and satire better. Completely agree with my perception of the game changing.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Myst ( Meh -> Frown -> Embarassed -> Foot in mouth -> Cry -> Sick ) : It just keeps getting worse every year.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i had changed my mind for the better/best about tMoS (which i tried 5 years ago and couldn’t keep running for more than 30 mins) now its one of the best Sci-Fi adventures that ever played after Blade runner and Perry Rhodan.

also about Riven, i always thought that this game is that best thing that was ever made,The Mother of All Games (not just adventures) i wished/prayed for more like it for years ,but now i ask myself do i really could afford to play a game that eventually will take all my time for more than 2-3 months…

nah i guess i am old for that or at least i can not afford neither the Time nor the Concentration for it.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I loved the Blade Runner game. Both the movie and the game were fabulous - played the game several times and enjoyed it more each time.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Mikekelly - 21 October 2012 05:47 PM

I loved the Blade Runner game. Both the movie and the game were fabulous - played the game several times and enjoyed it more each time.

Heart

and what about the novel “Do androids Dream of Electric Sheep” ?

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Agustín Cordes - 21 October 2012 08:40 AM

Myst ( Meh -> Frown -> Embarassed -> Foot in mouth -> Cry -> Sick ) : It just keeps getting worse every year.

Really ? So you don’t really like the Myst series ? I thought you did when I see Asylum.

For a lot of people, I think Myst is more like that :

Grin ->  Heart ->  Heart Eyes -> Content ->  Confused ->  Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top