• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme Of The Week #20 - One Of A Kind

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

This week I’ll focus our attention towards unique gameplay elements that had been featured in some adventure games. Now, I know this sounds like a broad topic so i’ll try to stay away from all the elements that turned out to grow into a fundamental part of the genre (like the first appearance of graphics in text adventure, or the first usage of the verbs interface, etc.). We already have the most impactful ag theme. This one is about bold and untypical gameplay decisions that somehow didn’t evolve into an obligatory adventure game element but still stood out as a trademark of their own franchise.

I’ll just mention a few examples but I’m encouraging any of you to share their own experience. I’m more than interested in titles that feature unique gameplay that tries to break the chains of typical adventure gaming. 

Discworld Noir

Discworld Noir has a classic ag written all over it. You have a solid plot, tons of good dialogue and inventory puzzles. You’ve been playing for a good amount of hours and the story has been almost unfold but still no sign of anything that’s been remotely different from every other ag you’ve played. And then all of a sudden /no plot spoilers here, but I’m putting the tag for the sake of the surprise element that the gameplay feature offers/ you gain a whole new ability to smell every single location in the game. Puzzles are now becoming tough. You gather different items. You gather clues and conversation topics which you write in your journal. And you gather smells from people that had visited a certain location. And you can combine all of these three groups of evidence. Try everything on everything seems almost impossible here.

Resonance

This title has again covered itself behind a 90’s golden era outlook that reveals nothing more than an ordinary ag with dialogue and inventory puzzles. And some mini-games here and there. And just like Discwolrd Noir it manages to deal with the old “try-everything-on-everything” problems of ag gameplay in a unique way. It introduced the short-term memory inventory along with your normal inventory for items that you pick up. All these parts of the environment that catches your attention but seem impossible or meaningles to be picked up can now be stored in your short-term memory inventory. Of course, everything you gather can be used in a conversation. This means that the dialogue puzzles require some actual thinking and not just exhausting all the given dialogue options. When I played the game I immediately though that this element would turn into a trend for future ags. But so far I didn’t see a game that’s making an use for it.

Day Of The Tentacle

Not much to talk here. Lucas Arts games had always been typical. Most of them share the same logic, so gameplaywise nobody’s expecting anything unique. The same can be said about Day Of The Tentacle with the exception that instead of many different locations you explore a single house in different periods of time (200 years in the past, 200 years in the future, and nowadays). This feature not only gives us a good amount of rooms to explore but also gives an opportunity for really clever time-travel puzzles. Like taking a blueprint of an alien tentacle in the present, send it to the past, switch it with the american flag design, which in the future turns the flag into tentacle shape, which you can use as a disguise. I’m guessing that’s not the only game that uses time-travel puzzles like these, so I’m willing to hear about similar ones.

Honorable mentions of games that I haven’t played yet.

Ghost Trick and the ability to posses and manipulate objects from the location.

The Last Express with its real time passing which gives one more layer to the puzzle solving.

Loom and its sound puzzles.

I’m sure there are lots of other titles that feature something unique (just browsing through the Obscure Adventure Games thread gives me a headache Smile ) I wanted to give a broader list but my head is kind of empty right now. So if you have something in mind, please share it here. I’d like to see some more interesting examples.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thanks Badlemon for this theme,

i guess Blade Runner is one of a kind 12-13 endings is sumthing that i had never encountered before.

The Experiment is one of kind, being not the protagonist, but be guiding her.

Loom with its musical puzzles core might had been given with tiny dose thru whole other ags but an ag that this is core of the gameplaying and puzzle must makes it one of a kind

LSL7 using merging text with point and click is also something i havnet encountered, unless there are more out there than what i encounter myself at my life, and i do not doubt it

i think dropsy as well is one of a kind

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I even know of a game which is Two of a Kind but hey… Crazy

Good selection of games - it’s incredible how nothing came close to Day of the Tentacle in terms of multiple protagonist’s interaction - and it even happens on the same location!!! I think developers are lazy - they only introduce 2 or 3 main characters to put that fact on the box cover, without going deeper into their interaction. And The Last Express is still probably the only “real” real-time adventure game, because the train goes on its way, and there’s a sense of time from point A to point B (or really, from the start to the end of the game). All other “real-time” adventure games involve either side characters going by their business, or time constraint, without the sense that everything around you is happening “live” (not the most important factor in an adventure game, but still…).

The game which is one of a kind to me is Keepsake, because it combines classic 3rd-person interface, view and navigation, with 100% “Myst-clone” puzzles. I’m yet to see another game that makes this blend. Another one is Toonstruck because of the concept that is presented right at the start: the ultimate goal is to build the flying machine, and for that you need several parts. The “trick” is that you don’t know which item in you inventory is intended for the machine, and which one is for standard game puzzles (it can also apply to both). There’re numerous “unique” games, and this one is not really about the “gameplay element” but Gabriel Knight 2 still stands as the most comprehensive FMV game, in that regard that no one before and after made an effort that the game with “real actors” looks and plays exactly like your run-of-the-mill 3rd-person point and click.

Advie - 02 October 2017 02:46 PM

Why?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I liked the way the inventory was done in A Vampyre Story.  If Mona didn’t need an item right away, a shadow image of it was stored in her inventory coffin.  Then, when she did need it, she could jump to that location to fetch and use it.  I haven’t played any other game that does inventory quite like that.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 02 October 2017 04:08 PM

Why?

the surrealism at this game alone could be balancing for over than 30 other games surrealism and still enough surrealism at dropsy ‘d be current.

and this under tone of a terrifying layer as the likes of those S.K style, not forget it was Sk whom of the firsts for introduce how clown aint what we were supposed to think they are and not forget kid Gasp too

anyway it not one of a kind cs of some kinda dynamic things.

Lady Kestrel - 02 October 2017 04:24 PM

I liked the way the inventory was done in A Vampyre Story.  If Mona didn’t need an item right away, a shadow image of it was stored in her inventory coffin.  Then, when she did need it, she could jump to that location to fetch and use it.  I haven’t played any other game that does inventory quite like that.

they did the same with THE Ghosts of voju island, and for the record these sorta of things that oughta be available at every adventure came since then , didnt tunguska spread it hotspot-reveal feature on monkey climbing all AGs since

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

diego - 02 October 2017 04:08 PM

Why?

Btw I was thinking of mentioning Dropsy, but not because of surrealism. I found the day/night cycle in the game intriguing. It kind of simulates real-time (but not on The Last Express level). You have different time zones and characters switch places depending on these zones. Some places close at night, others open and stuff like that. Not an actual real time but it gives one more layer to the countless locations of Dropsy. And lots of headache Smile

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Sherlock Holmes games feature a rather unique game mechanic (as far as I can tell): the “deduction board”, on which clues appear as you discover them, and which allows you to form links between them to build conclusions. Some clues can have different interpretations, and you have to build a coherent case with what you have. Even though the system warns you of contradictory elements (flashing red), there are still several combinations you can make, and only one of them holds the correct solution.
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes already had a system of this kind, but it became fully mature and got a neural-inspired makeover in Crimes and Punishments.

There also feature several ways to visualise what isn’t there, to reconstruct past scenes or see elements that are gone or simply not visible. For instance, they’ve borrowed the smell mechanics from Discworld Noir, but only when you play as Toby the dog. As you can see, they look pretty similar (though Toby only gets to smell boring green…).

badlemon - 02 October 2017 08:40 AM

Ghost Trick and the ability to posses and manipulate objects from the location.

Goetia also has an object-possession system in lieu of an inventory, though I’m not sure they work the same way.

I haven’t played Ghost Trick, but the name reminded me of the magic trick system in Gray Matter, another feature I don’t think I’ve ever seen elsewhere. As a magician, the protagonist can play tricks out of her reference book, but you have to prepare them first by collecting the right objects and building the correct sequence.

(white zones are edits so as not to spoil the puzzle)

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Gorogoa

It’s a not yet released game (and also one of the most anticipated titles for me). Some of you might have played the demo which shows a really unique gameplay that almost defines a whole new genre. Basically all you that you have to interact with are these four slots where you can switch/stack/order/investigate little squares which resemble a deck of playing cards. The narrative and the puzzles progress through the way you interact with these cards. Can’t really describe it with words, but you can get a sense of it in the game’s trailer:

edit: Hey, AG Forum automatically embeds youtube links now. Haven’t noticed this before. Nice one, you guys.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

NickyLarson - 03 October 2017 06:58 AM

I haven’t played Ghost Trick, but the name reminded me of the magic trick system in Gray Matter, another feature I don’t think I’ve ever seen elsewhere. As a magician, the protagonist can play tricks out of her reference book, but you have to prepare them first by collecting the right objects and building the correct sequence.

Ooh, good call! I loved the idea of the magic tricks in Gray Matter - basically a system of macros to perform more complex actions than the usual point&click; interface would allow - but found them a bit disappointing in practice. Because as you say, it ended up amounting to ‘put things in the correct sequence’.

Say you were doing a card trick that requires switching face-down cards before turning them over. You input a series of actions that turns over the cards then switches them, and the game tells you ‘no, that’s wrong’. So you try again until you get it right. If the system had had some understanding of why that was the wrong sequence, and shown/told us what would happen if you did things in that order, it could have been amazing. Whether it was a short imaginary scene of the trick going wrong or a voice-over “But then they’d see me switch the cards. I need to rethink this…” it could really sing. But that would have been a lot more work to implement and extra expense for graphics and voice-acting, which is why that kind of attention to detail mostly only happens in text adventures.

Jane Jensen’s next game, Moebius, also had some interesting new mechanics - the Sherlock Holmes-style examination of details to draw conclusions about a person or object:

and matching characters against historical figures to spot similarities:

Sadly both of those tended rather to degenerate into guessing, but kudos to JJ for trying new things!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

BMII this might be the most trivial thing to be mentioned but i have never witnessed any adventure were there are minimum 3-5 item descriptions for each item or object you click at, how much money spent into hours of recording studio’s rent for those lines not to forget writing and the way they implemented thru the game and its progress was over the top.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oknytt

have a magical system where you always have 4 runes on the screen: fire, water, air and earth.

Sometimes clicking these will only have a small effect, but at other times they have much larger and dramatical effects like summoning a thunder storm with lighting and everything. Often manipulating the weather or using the runes to manipulate your environment in this way, is a critical part of the puzzle solutions, but even when it isn’t it always have some effect, even if it is just summoning an earthworm that will slowly crawl across the screen Grin

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav & Memoria

have a somewhat similar but different magical system, where you would learn some different spells, that would then be attached to your inventory, and you could use these spells to solve different puzzles.

Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality

have a whole chapter that is basically just one very large puzzle, with several sub-puzzles and many steps to each sub-puzzle. Can’t remember ever having seen anything like it before.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

The Whispered World

Maybe this have been featured in other games as well but right now I can’t think of another one. Lots of AG protagonists have a sidekick (NPC, playable or used as an inventory item Sam’n'Max style). I really like how Spot was used in this game. He had the ability to shapeshift himself in different forms and you could use him in different puzzles depending on this form (normal, bubble, flat, fireball and whatnot).

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

badlemon - 03 October 2017 12:45 PM

The Whispered World

Maybe this have been featured in other games as well but right now I can’t think of another one. Lots of AG protagonists have a sidekick (NPC, playable or used as an inventory item Sam’n'Max style). I really like how Spot was used in this game. He had the ability to shapeshift himself in different forms and you could use him in different puzzles depending on this form (normal, bubble, flat, fireball and whatnot).

I love The Whispered World, but Spot is basically a “rehash” of Boogle in Torin’s Passage.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Sinking Island

In the last CCP, we played Sinking Island. One feature in Sinking Island is the PPA where you have access to material, pictures, documents, prints, and conversations. There, you can compare evidence, and try to find the correct evidence to solve mandates. It is a good system in capturing the feel of investigating a crime.

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Thanks for the great examples. I have several more titles in my “to-play” list now.

diego - 03 October 2017 03:10 PM

I love The Whispered World, but Spot is basically a “rehash” of Boogle in Torin’s Passage.

Good to know. I’ll have a look at it. 

Lilly Looking Through

Haven’t played that one but the idea to have two parallel worlds at the same time sounds interesting. It’s not exactly unique because it is most likely a rehash of another game Smile But I can’t remember it now (besides some horrors like Silent Hill/Resident Evil).

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The thing I like about Lilly Looking Through is that a puzzle can’t be solved without going back and forth between the two realities.  Sometimes a simple change of her glasses allows her to move along, and sometimes it takes many changes to progress.  Fran Bow has a similar, if more sinister, mechanism, gained by taking pills.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top