• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme of the Week #19 - How do you like to be disturbed!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i had many ideas for this week theme but i wanted to stick to sumthin that i really dig, like i thought of Comedy/Lol theme gs, but i am not really much into the comedy sub_genre of adventures as much as i am into serious games especially sci_fi, or Fashion! theme where i would’ve gone directly for LSL Tongue.. but anyway i won’t go more into the other themes i thought of, let’s get down to the one picked for today.

Edna & Harvey: The Breakout:
what makes it one of the most disturbing ags, that it starts with a cute and a bit crazy girl with toy puppet rabbit, like any small kid with too much imaginary, but then it suddenly hits you hard to find out that Edna is not any ordinary kid, but one with a really messed up head that deals with nothing but loonies.

also everybody talks about Fran Bow which i haven’t yet tried, but seems there is much similarity to Edna from what i saw, but maybe someone can enlighten me for ‘how’ disturbing it is.

Dead Synchronicity:
it takes the famous disturbing theme about people coming back from the dead, and the most disturbing part was how the government deals with the situation, cold blooded executing them without consideration of any kind of help for them.

Overclocked also have a different kind of those disturbing themes, by offering a lot violence thru six characters, five of them were under the govermeñt/military experiences that turned them into this attitude.

there are not many disturbing adventures out there, or maybe there is, but i am sorry i didn’t have the time dig thru more ags that i really dig Wink

P.S: i posted a day early as tomorrow would be a busy day, and hardly being at home.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Great theme Advie! I’ll add a couple of disturbing games that I’ve enjoyed.

First is Sanitarium, one of my all time favorite and possibly most well done disturbing and creepy Adventure games!

Another that I’ve recently played and really enjoyed is The Walking Dead Season 1, very disturbing and anxiety inducing encounters due to the quick time events and the difficult choices you must make throughout!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Traditional horror involving ghosts and demons doesn’t really scare me. However I am disturbed by more realistic settings involving extreme weirdness. One example is Bad Day on the Midway. Dark and unsettling, like a bad LSD trip.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

BitingWit - 23 September 2017 09:12 PM

Traditional horror involving ghosts and demons doesn’t really scare me. However I am disturbed by more realistic settings involving extreme weirdness….

I agree, there is really nothing disturbing or scary about run-of-the-mill zombie, ghost or horror games.

Fran Bow however is a very disturbing game. But it is a very different kind of disturbing compared to Edna & Harvey despite having many similarities in the setting. It is more like the film Pan’s Labyrinth, or perhaps the games Sanitarium or I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Which lead me to the next disturbing game:

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
An AI has taken over the world and almost completely wiped out humankind. It has however kept 5 alive, only to torture them over and over again for all eternity. It’s latest torture invention being a VR game, it has designed to let them relive the darkest time of their lives.

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I’VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.

And of course:

The Cat Lady
Not sure how to describe this in a few words, just that it is brilliant, and very disturbing.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Great theme, Advie. I really enjoy when a game succeeds to disturb me in the good way. The line is thin and there’s a good chance for an improper or butaphoric content (some FMVs coming to mind).

I’ll second Sanitarium as one of the most disturbing games I’ve played. Talking to those deceased kids still gives me the creeps.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream had some pretty strange themes that made me feel uneasy. Again in the good way.

From the most recent playing I can mention Inside as a game that had a bothersome narrative and atmosphere. And most wtf 30 minutes of gaming in my entire experience.

I’ve never played The Dark Eye but it sounds as a game that fits into this week’s theme.

The Cat Lady had some moments but I found it to be more on the horror side and less on the disturbing side in the end. Actually the first Downfall felt more disturbing at least in the bits I played. Never tried the remake.

And it wouldn’t be disturbing enough if our good old H. R. Giger isn’t involved. So here’s a shot from Darkseed.

Edit: Iznogood, you’re too fast.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

One that I think fits in with what Advie’s thread is about is:
The Blackstone Chronicles

I would expect anyone that has played the game will well remember what this scene was all about.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Stasis had some disturbing scenes

and others closer to the end

Dangan Ronpa has the executions

But those are more dark comedy I guess, the disturbing stuff is in the Another Episode game

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 24 September 2017 10:33 AM

One that I think fits in with what Advie’s thread is about is:
The Blackstone Chronicles

I would expect anyone that has played the game will well remember what this scene was all about.

That’s a great example not because the particular detail is true - it’s far too extreme - but kind of representative of the cruelty in the name of ‘cure’ for people with mental health problems - take away a bit of your body & your mind will be better!  There’s many other horrendous examples within that game which sadly do reflect some of the real-life treatments though!
Other games mentioned (amongst those I’ve played) I find that do disturb are Fran Bow, IHNM&IMS;, Overclocked & The Cat Lady.
I’d like to add Phantasmagoria as I found that a disturbing story! For me there’s a difference between ‘horror’ which is beyond the realm of the real world & ‘disturbing’  where events in a game’s story reflect nasty elements that actually do happen in the real world.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

In Amber: Journeys Beyond, the chapter that takes place in the gazebo was quite disturbing to me because of the particular spirit there.  The other two chapters had more sadness in them.  I also agree that Fran Bow had quite a few disturbing scenes, and Kathy Rain had a few as well.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ll just leave this here:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

shite! diego that’s definitely not how i like to be disturbed Tongue , mostly they are two things that i love at those kinda games; dialogues and stories twists, i think black mirror could qualify in this matter, altar ego, maybe next life but just a bit.. those stroies which are filled with what i call or describe as moments that makes you head roll .. i think i can use chrissie’ words here ‘events in a game’s story reflect nasty elements that actually do happen in the real world’

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Does anyone really like being disturbed? I think if you really like something, scary ghosts in a movie or violence, it is not disturbing. Otherwise you are mentally ill and need help.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 25 September 2017 04:05 AM

Does anyone really like being disturbed? I think if you really like something, scary ghosts in a movie or violence, it is not disturbing. Otherwise you are mentally ill and need help.

thats just a catchy title, a joke! ... chill man. Content

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Rennes Le Château , real life counterpart is old, mystic , rundown and have this spiritual negative vibe
Creeps me out in bad way…like them old jerusalem places

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I can’t believe I forgot about STASIS!
There is however also another game that I found wonderful disturbing:

The White Chamber

The game starts with the protagonist crawling out of a coffin and 3 questions you have to answer:
1) Do you know where you are?
2) Do you regret?
3) Are you ready?
Which you have no way of knowing the answer for.

And after that it starts to get both gory, weird and very disturbing.
It is however not so much the gore that is disturbing, as much as it is the whole story, the fact that something has happened, but you have no memory of it and ...
All I can reveal is that there are many different endings, and many ways to die.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

nomadsoul - 25 September 2017 05:08 AM

Rennes Le Château , real life counterpart is old, mystic , rundown and have this spiritual negative vibe
Creeps me out in bad way…like them old jerusalem places

Only mystical thing about Rennes Le Château to me was the prices in the bookstore.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top