• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventuring on handheld systems - Hotel Dusk

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Due to tablets and smart phones, dedicated handhelds maybe a thing of the past.

I too play a huge amount of adventure games on my iPad mini so I understand why completely.

2016 maybe the last year we see dedicated handheld adventure games - Daganronpa 3 and Zero Escape 3.

For 60 dollars a Dsi Xl used could be yours and games like Hotel Dusk and The Last Window could be in the palm of your hand.

For 119 dollars a PSVITA could be yours used and games like Danganronpa and Danganronpa 2 could also be in the palm of your hand.

I am not suggesting these replace PC gaming - me and my PC Netbook play lots of adventure games, BUT - the above mentioned adventure games I mentioned are not like any PC games I’ve ever played.

Heart

I hate to say it, but Hotel Dusk is one of my favorite games of all time! I’ve played it three times and loved it the third time the best - amazing story and characters.

We may never see another game like Hotel Dusk and I’d love to see a CPT of this game. The Last Window was the aggie winner for 2010.

Shifty Eyed

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Back in 2007, I was under the impression that our genre was dead. When I saw a raving review of Hotel Dusk on Gamespot, I more or less yelled “OMFG! An AG!!!” and took advantage of the fact that the missus had a DS to get this and play it. Tongue

A year later, I found Secret Files: Tunguska in a store as well as Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (I was actually looking for Apollo Justice of which I had read a positive review) and I decided to get my own DS.
Halfway through the second chapter of Trials and Tribulations, I finally did some research and went after the other Phoenix Wright games first. Then Professor Layton came around, and I was utterly convinced that the genre had switched to the DS.

And then I came here and saw that the genre was far from dead, and was not exclusive to the DS… Tongue

But by golly, does the DS have an awesome AG catalogue! The Cing games (Hotel Dusk and Last Window in front), the Phoenix Wright games, the Layton series, 999, Time Hollow, Jake Hunter Detective Story, Ghost Trick, etc.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There was a time you’d walk into a GameStop and they would have 20 adventure games for the DS on the wall for sale.

I myself have 80 of them in a box and will pull the system out and play it - like I did for “Again” - which I like—but is not CING’s strongest title.

Professor Layton and Ace Attorney are real treasures on the system along with Time Hollow and Ghost Trick just to name a few amazing titles on the system.

Grim Fandango remastered got rave reviews on the PSVITA this year so there’s lots of great adventures on the VITA along with great ports of Broken Age and Broken Sword 5.

So, let’s start this journey of discovery with a CPT of Hotel Dusk!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

I would love to see Hotel Dusk & Last Window ported to something - PC, Android, iOS, whatever. They are both just such amazing games, that it is a tragedy that most people will never get the opportunity to play them because they aren’t particularly accessible games given their format, not to mention general availability of the titles themselves.

As much as I love both of these games, rated in my top games of all time, I can’t justify keeping a DS lying around just for them.

But please, yes… community playthrough would be awesome. Might be the motivation I need to finally actually participate in one…

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mikekelly - 01 October 2015 04:12 PM

2016 maybe the last year we see dedicated handheld adventure games - Daganronpa 3 and Zero Escape 3.

This is true and scary. Vita will probably die in 2016. Nintedo NX will be out and I’m not sure what will succeed the 3DS with Nintendo entering the mobile gaming business. I don’t like gaming in the iPad/iPhone but I’ll probably just have to get used to it…

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Toefur - 02 October 2015 03:04 AM

But please, yes… community playthrough would be awesome. Might be the motivation I need to finally actually participate in one…

If you want an awsome CP, go to the CP thread and vote! What’s keeping you?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Actually, Sony is making some big $$$ through PSN releases and 50% of VITA sales are PSN. Also the VITA has solid sales in Japan - in many weeks it outsells the PS4 in Japan.

I see VITA to be sold and supported by Sony until 2020 when the PSTABLET gets released.

Now the 3DS should be replaced in 2016 along with the WIi U - by Nintendo NX—the 3DS sales are only 50% of DS sales and WIi U sales are only 10% of Wii sales.

I actually have a NEW 3DS XL - I play Persona Q, Resident Evil Revelations and Spirit Cameria on it.

For some reason they reduced the size of the bottom screen of the 3DS XL so I prefer playing DS games on the Dsi XL and 3DS adventure games are VERY slim pickings at best.

I see Daganronpa 3 and Zero Escape 3 being the last physical adventure games widely released for handhelds.

JRPGs and PSN releases for the VITA through 2020. 3DS and Wii U replaced in 2016.

The bottom line is, for me - Hotel Dusk on a Dsi XL was an amazing experience - and so was Danganronpa on a PSVITA-1000 due to its amazing OLED screen.

Between the two systems I have 160 adventure games (80 each) so obviously I was quite taken. The fun is taking their cardboard boxes down from closet and picking which great adventure game to play on my DS or VITA.

So, let’s have a CPT of Hotel Dusk! It will be fun!

Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Hotel Dusk was definitely a great game (as were Last Window, Another Code and Another Code: R) and the DS itself was a fantastic system for adventures. I decided I’d buy a DS the moment I saw the first trailer for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (before the release of the system itself) and I never regretted it. It was also the time I started to study Japanese, and I have tons of adventures for the system not released outside Japan.

Mikekelly - 01 October 2015 04:12 PM

You’re forgetting Ace Attorney 6, and it is very likely that Takumi’s team of Ace Attorney will follow up with a sequel to Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Also, your post is very concentrated on Western releases (for obvious reasons), but for gamers who can play Japanese adventures, the last few years on handheld have not been that bad actually. While it’s definitely not as big as in the DS days, the 3DS has a fairly steady stream of new, original adventure games both physical and digital.

The Vita in return mostly features ports and remakes of games I can, and have already played on other systems, sadly enough. Everybody’s been raving about Danganronpa 1 & 2 for example, but I already played them several years ago on the PSP… Even the original adventure games for the Vita I can often also buy for the PS3.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

I was SO disappointed when CING went down… I’ve played both Hotel Dusk games (both equally awesome!) and Another Code on DS, which was one of my first DS games so I have very fond memories of it.

I still have to play the Wii Another Code game someday!

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Here is the deal: I played AA Dual Destinies on IOS because several reviews of the game said it was the definitive edition of that game. I agree - the iOS version was far superior to all previous versions.

So, A A 6 may also see an IOS release also.

Now due to the VITA not being region locked (unlike the 3ds) I have got many Japanese only adventure games I really like on the VITA - they are great and show how big the Asian adventure game market really is.

Also - the PSP conversions to VITA feature enhanced graphics and new play features not seen in their PSP origonals.

So - I myself would love to see the PSV and 3DS continue - but tablets seem to be winning this market in the future someday.

I have no room to talk as I type on my iPad mini 4.

Lastly, the future for dedicated handhelds like the VITA could be games like Persona 4 Dancing all Night - which has attributes of adventure games, rhythm games and visual novels.

Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

What is AT6? Ace Attorney 6? (I thought it only came out on 3DS?)

I’m currently playing it actually! It’s still great like the other ones, but I kinda feel like the exact same mecanisms are getting used and the game feels a little more simple (but I’m still at Case number 2 so maybe this improves after!)

EDIT : Woops, just found out I’m wrong because I’m playing Ace Attorney 5, the sixth isn’t out yet :p)

I hope to make my own adventure game come on handhelds someday, but that will require some adaptations to handle it with touch controls and on small screens Smile

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There is a very good chance that AA6 will see an ios release due to the popularity of the Ace Attorney games on ios.

I’ve also heard that AA6 will see a digital only release in the west.

I do adore my New 3DS XL, I’m playing Persona Q on it as we speak. But I did enjoy the Ace Attorney games on ios.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Should I buy a Switch or IPad mini 5?

Heart

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-08-14

PM

I’m thinking of buying a Switch myself, but two big considerations for me are:

1) Is there a significant loss in visual quality between a Switch and PC when it comes to newer adventure games?

2) What’s the adventure game library like on Switch? I tried looking at the online story but their interface is a nightmare.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I really need to pull my DS out and play Hotel Dusk again.

The iPad mini 5 was released. Which is better, an iPad mini 5 or a Switch?

Heart

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2019-02-23

PM

Depends on what you want to do with it.

If it’s primarily for gaming, I would say the Switch. Its adventure catalog isn’t huge at the moment—see https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/adventure/switch?view=condensed for a list of games—but I see that changing soon as it’s popular for ports, and it was designed for gaming.

I have an iPad Pro (which I love), and I’ve found the interface difficult to use for most games that weren’t designed or re-designed exclusively for iOS. It turns out that most adventure games are not exclusively designed with tablets in mind.

App store has a decent library, but the sad fact is that most of the games ported onto iOS can be played much more smoothly on other platforms. Movement in particular is a pain, and games that I loved on the DS I just can’t get into on the iPad.

That said, it’s great for games like Ace Attorney or interactive fiction games that don’t require movement, and also just nice for things like browsing social media or watching videos in bed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top