• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is the the secret world an adventure in disguise?

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2005-08-02

PM

Been playing this game since launch, and being an oldschool (or just old) gamer, i have fond memories playing most of the adventure games in the 90’s and the longest journey was in my and many others opinion a masterpiece, so since Ragnar was making this game i thought i would try it even though i normally don’t play rpg or mmo’s.

I have been pleasantly surprised by this game, you can clearly see/read and feel Ragnar’s involvement in this project, its like a “spin-off” from TLJ.

What i love about this game and makes me feel this is a adventure game in disguise are the investigation quest, i have not been as challenged by a game like this in the last 10years.

These are real brainteasers which are not those “use screwdriver” with “screws” on “grate” to “open it” like most of the “adventure” games are today.

If you have not tried this masterpiece i really recommend that you
try it, especially if you are a fan of TLJ as it is clearly the same “weaver of stories”  and he really can make a story.

They have a free 3day trial on their home page;
http://www.thesecretworld.com (bottom right corner)

If you have tried it; what do you think, is this a adventure game in disguise?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve been thinking about jumping into it for a while because it looks like something I could enjoy, but ultimately I don’t think I will, for a simple reason: I like replaying games. I need to know that by 2032 I’ll still be able to replay The Secret World (at least the single-player parts of it—I can live without the multiplayer stuff), just like nowadays I can (and do) replay games from 1992. Except that won’t be possible, because even if Funcom hasn’t gone out of business by then, they certainly won’t have the servers and everything needed to make the game run anymore.

So as much as I enjoy Tornquist’s imagination and writing, I think I’ll pass.

(This trend of mixing the disposable MMO mechanics with story-heavy stuff (The Secret World, The Old Republic…) is an abomination. It’s like saying “Oh, you could watch Citizen Kane during the three years after its release, but now it’s gone forever.” This is utterly insane.)

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

That’s just crap. MMO is crap. Everything that even slightly has something to do with MMO is crap. Just. Crap.

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

Since I saw the first teaser for this game about 1-2 years ago I was wishing it will be a single-player experience.What we got?An MMO.

I dont like hating a gerne without explaining my reasoning behind the hate but those reasons are too many and I am not in the mood to write a big text.To put it simple I am sick of them.All of them are the same thing with a different skin.I am not going to play another MMO until one company decides to take a huge step forward and redefine the gerne.

So despite the setting of Secret World (which setting I really like) and some nice twists it adds to the classic MMO formula (adventure-like puzzles) I am gonna pass.Also the fact that it is a subscription game doesnt help at all.I dont have the ability to know how much free time I will have available for videogames during the course of a month and I am not willing to pay 15-20E every month for a game that I might dont have the time to play.

If they had changed some gameplay elements (the MMO-ish fighting system for example) and the multiplayer was optional I would have definately bought it.

Also because a game have some puzzles in it I dont think that we should call it “an adventure in disguise”.The main focus of the game isnt the puzzles but the progression and fighting systems and the interactions with other players and those arent the main focuses of an adventure game.

Now Playing:Zork Nemesis,Dragon Age GOTY,DOTA 2,Alter Ego
Next In Line:Tex Murphy:Under a Killing Moon,Tex Murphy:The Pandora Directive,Tex Murphy:Overseer,Fallout 1,2&Tactics;
Recently Finished:Runaway 1&2,Barrow Hill,Legend of Grimrock
Looking Forward To:The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle,Bioshock Infinite,Amnesia:A Machine For Pigs

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2011-06-02

PM

Everything about this game that isn’t an MMO looks interesting to me. If it was a 10-20 hour RPG I’d be all over it. Unfortunately it’s not and carries all of the baggage that comes with an MMO. I don’t want to pay $15/mo to kill X*6 enemies to bring back X items to a character and repeat over and over just to get to the bits that I want to play.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

No offense to everyone, but the MMO aspect is what makes it so great from the start. Everyone wants a basic midlength adventure/rpg, but because of the MMO aspect and the non-class character system, the game is allowed to expand beyond just one story arc. This game is huge, playing with friends is great….maybe all of you should stop whining about how you can’t let just ONE mmo that strives to be different off the hook?

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

Monolith - 29 August 2012 02:12 PM

No offense to everyone, but the MMO aspect is what makes it so great from the start. Everyone wants a basic midlength adventure/rpg, but because of the MMO aspect and the non-class character system, the game is allowed to expand beyond just one story arc. This game is huge, playing with friends is great….maybe all of you should stop whining about how you can’t let just ONE mmo that strives to be different off the hook?

But what I am saying it is that it tries to be different but its not different enough .It offers exactly what most other MMO games offer right now just with a modern setting and some puzzles thrown in.Except from those thing and the absence of an actual leveling system it is exactly a copy-paste of many other MMOs.This is neither innovation nor progress of the MMO gerne.And its definately not enough to pull me in.

What about an real combat system instead of this WoW clone “point at something and start bashing buttons” combat system?It would be pretty cool huh?Plus the fact that it would make most of the boring quests (kill x number of this,get me x number of that) more interesting and engaging.

I understand that many people enjoy this game and I am not trying to ruin it for them but you cant just call a clear copy-paste different from the rest because it adds some nice turns here and there.

Next In Line:Tex Murphy:Under a Killing Moon,Tex Murphy:The Pandora Directive,Tex Murphy:Overseer,Fallout 1,2&Tactics;
Looking Forward To:The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle,Bioshock Infinite,Amnesia:A Machine For Pigs

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

louiedog - 29 August 2012 01:15 PM

Everything about this game that isn’t an MMO looks interesting to me. If it was a 10-20 hour RPG I’d be all over it. Unfortunately it’s not and carries all of the baggage that comes with an MMO. I don’t want to pay $15/mo to kill X*6 enemies to bring back X items to a character and repeat over and over just to get to the bits that I want to play.

^ This.

I don’t like MMO’s because I want my games to be finite (well, unless we’re talking about sports games, but those don’t rely on story). Plus paying monthly fees to play a game is insane…

Were this a stand-alone RPG, I’d have finished it by now…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-08-02

PM

Have you tried it, and i mean lately not beta?

What makes this different is the story aspect.

See:

(best quote at the end)

Again if you liked TLJ story i REEEEAAALLLY recommend it, you are not going to be disappointed, if you are then ask for a refund from your free 3 day trial :-)

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

frantici - 29 August 2012 03:15 PM

Have you tried it, and i mean lately not beta?

What makes this different is the story aspect.

See:

(best quote at the end)

Again if you liked TLJ story i REEEEAAALLLY recommend it, you are not going to be disappointed, if you are then ask for a refund from your free 3 day trial :-)

Thats the only reason I am still thinking about trying it out.Maybe when it goes free to play….

Joined 2005-08-02

PM

Soo you would rather the company go bankrupt than pay for the game?
Free 2 play is not a viable option for this game the next 2-3 years atleast.

Funcom is by today’s standard almost a “indie” company, not much larger than Doublefine.
There is a huge difference for a company with millions of players to draw in cash by f2p, but f2p isn’t for this game, as it is too niche.

Try the trial, you should easily be able to find out if you like it or not by then.
If you like it why would you wait years to enjoy it.

Do you often see a trailer for a movie that you would really like too see, but rather than go to the cinema or rent it, you wait until it shows for free with some commercials every 20min 2-3 years later?

I recommend you turn off your monitor and save the electricity as you probably can’t afford be on the internet.

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

frantici - 29 August 2012 04:46 PM

Soo you would rather the company go bankrupt than pay for the game?
Free 2 play is not a viable option for this game the next 2-3 years atleast.

Funcom is by today’s standard almost a “indie” company, not much larger than Doublefine.
There is a huge difference for a company with millions of players to draw in cash by f2p, but f2p isn’t for this game, as it is too niche.

Try the trial, you should easily be able to find out if you like it or not by then.
If you like it why would you wait years to enjoy it.

Do you often see a trailer for a movie that you would really like too see, but rather than go to the cinema or rent it, you wait until it shows for free with some commercials every 20min 2-3 years later?

I recommend you turn off your monitor and save the electricity as you probably can’t afford be on the internet.

Trust me it will go f2p.There are many companies “smaller” that Funcom that have f2p MMOs and can support thier MMOs just fine by the f2p model.Nowadays the only MMO that can say “no” to f2p is WoW.Everyone else chooses the f2p route sooner or later.How much time did it take for Star Wars:The Old Republic to go f2p?Around 7 months right?And Star Wars:TOR is owned by EA,a much bigger company than Funcom.

Do you really believe that a small company like Funcom can keep this p2p model on for a long time?I dont really think so.Check this out:http://tobolds.blogspot.gr/2012/08/the-secret-world-subscription-numbers.html

Like it or not this is the future of your beloved MMO so you better face it.By the way if I want to wait for a game to go free and then check it out its my own business and it doesnt concern you so leave those half-baked jokes aside.

I tried the beta but the only think I actually liked was some puzzles and your ability to make a ridiculous looking character.But I am not going to throw my money to any new MMO that comes out just because it add 2-3 puzzles after 20 boring quests and has some good writing in it.From my point of view this game isnt worthy of those 20$ per month so when it goes free there is a chance that I am gonna give it a try.

Joined 2010-08-31

PM

I’m not generally an MMO person, but I’m really enjoying The Secret World. Given the free three-day trial, I’d certainly recommend anyone who didn’t try the beta give it a go.

Joined 2005-08-02

PM

First; didn’t mean to offend you with the joke, but i find the argument of 15$ pr.month very strange, and there is almost no other entertainment that would give you new content every month for that price.

Second;
>Also because a game have some puzzles in it I dont think that we should call it “an adventure in disguise”.The main focus of the game isnt the puzzles but the progression and fighting systems and the interactions with other players and those arent the main focuses of an adventure game.<

The main part of a adventure game is not the puzzles, but the story, puzzles are the way to achieve progression in the story.
Both Portal 2 and LA Noir is highly rated on this site and they both use other ways of telling the story than the old-school point click.

Third;
I assume you are a Kickstarter backer of Tex Murphy and did you as most of the backers cry out because of the possibility that it would have DLC (it was removed quite quickly).
F2P = DLC and lots of it ..

Now I backed that and many other projects, because I want to have games with great stories, not the default shiny new FPS (except for portal 3) that most other wants.

Ofcourse I understand that you have a differing view, but I personally want to support good stories, and show that there is a market for such a thing in today’s economy.

But based on your logic Age of Conan and Bloodline Champions should be gold-mines for Funcom as they are both F2P, F2P only works if you got a huge following, kinda need 1 paying customer for 9 freeloaders.

Now since you really have not played the game (except beta, and most investigation quests where not available) you really can’t comment on my question as it sort of requires you to have at least played it a 4-5 hours and done some of those.

Joined 2005-08-02

PM

AnneS - 30 August 2012 11:00 AM

I’m not generally an MMO person, but I’m really enjoying The Secret World. Given the free three-day trial, I’d certainly recommend anyone who didn’t try the beta give it a go.

Soo what’s you opinion on the adventure game in disguise?

I am waiting for the next batch of the story, but have used the last days picking up lore and enjoying the scenery.

Only nitpick I have is that the dungeons are a little to hard for me sometimes
and i would really like to get the story and lore from them, but practice helps and i have done most of them now.

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

I will answer you the same way you did instead of using a thousand quotes and make this post a big mess.

First:As I said in my previous post I didnt actally enjoy Secret World’s gameplay.I enjoyed a part of it.The developers may add new things every month (which btw is an awesome thing to do) but as long as I dont enjoy a big part of the gameplay I have no use for more content and thats why I dont wanna buy this game right now.

Its not that 15-20E every month is a big amount to pay if you like the game but I dont like the actual game,only some small portions of it and I dont think that paying every month just for those little portions its worth it.

Second:I own and I liked both of these games.The gameplay of those two games is mainly puzzle solving.Well for the most part.
But because they use different gameplay mechanism that most adventure games it doesnt mean that they arent adventure games.I agree with that.The thing is that those two games may use different mechanism but those mechanism are build around puzzle solving.

Almost every room in Portal 1&2 is a puzzle that you,the player,must solve and the same goes for every investigation in LA Noire.I know that LA Noire have some chase and shooting sequences but they arent the main focus of that game.Now on the other hand puzzles in Secret World are something you come across once in a while among many other things thus making them feel more like a side activity rathen that the main focus of the game.And thats why Secret World isnt a adventure in disquise.

And you cant really argue that Secret World is an adventure game because it has a good story.Adventure games arent the only ones that have a good story to tell and sometimes advenure games focuses more on the puzzles than the actually story.

Check Bioshock for example.It is an fps with some small RPG elements but it has a really good,smart and well written story and the actual game focuses more in that story that the gameplay.Does it make it an adventure game?

Third:I didnt support the kickstarter because I recently learned about it but I am going to through paypal(they still accept it in their official site).

I actually like DLC and I am willing to pay for it as long as its worth it.I am not going to pay for 4 character’s costumes in a fighting game but I will happily pay for new locations,quests and puzzles in an adventure or RPG game.

I also like interesting and well written stories but this isnt a book,this isnt a movie ,its a game and I am not willing to withstand bad,repetative and boring gameplay (for the most part)in a MMO only for the story.There are many other games that offer both (good story+good gameplay) to even consider playing a game that offers only one of them.

Keep in mind that I speak through my experience from other MMOs I used to play and from Secret World’s beta but a beta is the closer you can get to the actual game and I dont believe that they changed enough to make me like it even if they added more puzzles.

Now about Age of Conan and Bloodlines Champions.First of all Age of Conan was a really bad game,even by MMO standards,so they shouldnt except that just because its f2p it will become a big money-bringer.

On the other hand Bloodlines Champions is just unlucky.Its a MOBA games and it come out at the time where other MOBA games like DotA 2 beta and LoL were dominating the market.

I believe that Secret World wont face the same fate when it goes free to play.It has a very unique settings (especially for MMO standards) and it adds many new and interesting elements and twist into the classic MMO formula.And the sooner Funcom understand that the better.Both for Funcom,as a company but also for the actual game.

Damn that was a big answer… Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top