• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 24 July 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

First-person adventure Congo: Descent into Zinj (1996) was based on the movie Congo.* You’re one of those disembodied voices with a name and a history, looking for diamonds and a female coworker in the jungle. There are some FMV clips with your boss and coworker, but mostly it’s just you with your high-tech devices and dangerous wildlife. I should also mention Amy, the “domesticated” ape who can use sign language but wears a backpack thingie which translates her signs into a female voice. What on earth for, to welcome visitors who may not be able to understand sign language? Ludicrous. One of the first things she says is that Amy is lonely. Even more ludicrous.

Amy aside, I quite enjoyed playing Congo. Nice animated transition sequences between nodes, which make the jungle very immersive. Mazes are a drag of course, but I enjoyed fiddling with tracking devices and analyzing symbols and stuff. Lots of dying, which is not a problem because the game resurrects you automatically. 

*I read in Wikipedia just now that our friend Tim Curry was nominated in the category Worst Supporting Actor for his role in Congo.  Gasp

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 24 July 2014 06:00 AM

*I read in Wikipedia just now that our friend Tim Curry was nominated in the category Worst Supporting Actor for his role in Congo.  Gasp

The Razzies tend to give a lot of nominations to expensive flops. Actors that were hamming it up in the film will be nominated. Some people like ham and cheese. Personally, I’d say Tim Curry was so over-the-top in that film that he was arguably the best thing in it. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 24 July 2014 07:16 AM
Karlok - 24 July 2014 06:00 AM

The Razzies tend to give a lot of nominations to expensive flops. Actors that were hamming it up in the film will be nominated. Some people like ham and cheese. Personally, I’d say Tim Curry was so over-the-top in that film that he was arguably the best thing in it. Tongue

Arguably, yes.

Here’s an example of his acting in Congo. No comment.  Innocent

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I realize I’m resurrecting a dead thread, but I watched the movie Congo tonight on Dutch tv and couldn’t resist the temptation to post.  Tongue

The movie is ridiculous. Contentwise. Maybe even more ridiculous than the game. No problem, I enjoyed both. I was looking forward to Tim Curry’s scenes, even though I’d already seen an example of his acting, but let’s face it: he was TERRIBLE!

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I read the book and watched a bit of a video playthrough of the game, but never saw the movie.  Now I’ll have to watch it. Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 01 August 2015 09:18 PM

I read the book and watched a bit of a video playthrough of the game, but never saw the movie.  Now I’ll have to watch it. Smile

It’s pretty bad, though. Only enjoyable if you like the over-the-top bad acting. Like that of Tim Curry. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 02 August 2015 02:37 AM
Lady Kestrel - 01 August 2015 09:18 PM

It’s pretty bad, though. Only enjoyable if you like the over-the-top bad acting. Like that of Tim Curry. Tongue

Tim Curry was the worst, everybody else was passable. Well, not counting gorilla Amy, who couldn’t even move around like a real gorilla! And I’ve always liked Laura Linney with her dimples. Watched her two weeks ago in Mr. Holmes, with Gandalf Ian McKellen. A forgettable film, but the acting was fine.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 02 August 2015 02:37 AM

I’ll intentionally watch bad a movie because it’ll make me laugh. 

Karlok,
I’m looking forward to seeing Ian McClelland’s Holmes.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top