• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Hate to post again so soon, but GamersGate is having a good sale on several casual games right now.  Including Treasures of Mystery Island 3: Ghost Ship for $1.49!  This is a great game, most certainly above average.  I would definitely recommend all readers of this forum pick it up at that price.  Other games on sale include Snark Busters and both of the House of 1000 Doors games for $3 or $3.50 each.  I think I might pick up the first House of 1000 Doors.  I had heard the first one was supposed to be great but hadn’t heard much about the second.  Any feedback from people who have played them?  I think I’ll risk it and pick up both for that price.

Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers is also on sale.  It’s gotten very good reviews as well (though I always think the title sounds like it’s about incest or something - sorry!)

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Monolith - 20 August 2012 12:22 AM

Practically every CE I’ve ever played, I felt like I just couldn’t bare to try out the additional story. They always either feel like a stupid extender (a HOG infested part of the story which should of been in the original storyline) or just a HOG sandbox full of shit.

Totally agree. Might have used another eschatological noun, but we’re on the same page. Smile

To others that are providing game discount game hints, please provide the link. I tried to find the recommended 1000 doors game, at discount, which would again send my budget skyward, but could not find anything on BFG.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

rtrooney - 20 August 2012 08:00 PM

To others that are providing game discount game hints, please provide the link. I tried to find the recommended 1000 doors game, at discount, which would again send my budget skyward, but could not find anything on BFG.

Sorry.  As the post says, the sale is at GamersGate.  I posted a link to one of the games, thinking people would be able to find the others from there since there’s a lot of different games on sale.  The House of 1000 Doors one is here.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sorry at my end. I missed the Gamers Gate reference.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interplay - 20 August 2012 09:25 PM

Sorry.  As the post says, the sale is at GamersGate.  I posted a link to one of the games, thinking people would be able to find the others from there since there’s a lot of different games on sale.  The House of 1000 Doors one is here.

That looks like a very interesting site. But, I ran into a problem. The site does not take credit cards directly. Only PayPal is accepted. I shouldn’t say “only PayPal” because there were three other options, one of which was a PayPal equivalent I never heard of. The other two being payments via credits from past purchases et al, which I don’t have since 1000 Doors would have been my first purchase. There are reasons why I don’t use PayPal, so I probably won’t be buying much from this site. But I really appreciate knowing the site is there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I recently picked up Snark Busters on sale, and I just finished it.  I’ll keep this short.  I don’t care for the visual style/art direction at all, and the music could be a little annoying.  But, somehow, the game is inexplicably really, really fun.  I had a great time playing it, and it was very difficult to make myself stop each day (I didn’t want to finish it too quick).  Also, it is a FROG game (fragmented object), which I find myself liking more than the HOG games lately.  Anyway, this is not the sort of game I would expect to find myself liking, but it is just very fun to play.  I think I’ll have to consider picking up the sequels.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Currently working on Grim Tales - The Wishes. It’s the third in a series. It is well over four hours. I know because “dearly beloved” aka, my wife commented that I had been playing this game for four hours straight without coming up for air. And I think I still have a ways to go.

From Elephant Games, who also brought you Sacre Terra.

This is far better than the previous two games. Although, there is way too much backtracking. Mapping would have been a carpal tunnel relief.

I’ll give a better report when I’ve finished the game. Maybe dearly beloved will give me two hours between grocery shopping and laundry. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I just finished the first House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets.  It was a very high quality game.  The graphics and animations are excellent.  The story is interesting.  All interactions with NPC’s are fully voice acted (and better than average for a casual game).  There are several high quality cinematics as well.  The game is fairly easy though.  I can’t think of a single puzzle that gave much pause.  And the game is a little short (as least compared to some of the lengthy ones I’ve played lately).  Overall, though, I would consider it an above average game.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The thing about most of these casual adventure games is that even though I may enjoy them while playing, there are very few that I can remember well. Two weeks after I finish one I’ll have forgotten if I played it or not. There are a few exceptions—like the Drawn games and Snark Busters—but most of them aren’t particularly memorable.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2004-11-26

PM

I’m currently playing Surface, The Noise She Couldn’t Make. It’s quite good. Interesting story with some good cutscenes. The puzzles aren’t necessarily too different but they seem more interesting in the context of this particular game. It seems to rise above the cookie cutter games out there for me.

Resident science freak

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-03-01

PM

I’m replaying Brink of Consciousness:Dorian Gray Syndrome.
It’s a really good game.Gripping story,wonderful voice acting,good graphics,interesting puzzles,everything you ask from a game.
It has a bit of backtracking which some might find tiresome.
If you buy the game,go for the CE version.It concludes the story.
Highly recommended.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Just finished Eternal Journey New Atlantis. I did actually play the CE as I had the credits and made use of the 2 for one sale last week, which with the punchcard, offered another free games.
This was a good game. For starters it was a very refreshing theme - SF. There were lots of places to go through, and thankfully there was a map feature (even at the hardest level). The HO scenes were repeated only once, but it was far enough apart not the be too familiar. The HO scenes also had some interaction. The mini-puzzles were pretty standard, though there was one really good slider that I had some fun working out.
The SE version of the game just came out. I’d recommend that.
On to Grim Tales the Wishes next.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 25 August 2012 11:14 PM

The thing about most of these casual adventure games is that even though I may enjoy them while playing, there are very few that I can remember well. Two weeks after I finish one I’ll have forgotten if I played it or not. There are a few exceptions—like the Drawn games and Snark Busters—but most of them aren’t particularly memorable.

I think games you remember will be remembered in relation to their difficulty. You are unlikely to forget a game you agonized over. But the name of the game you breezed through might be easily forgotten.

I just finished Grim Tales: The Wishes. I commented in an earlier post that this game could use an interactive mapping feature. It turns out it has one, but it is not self-evident unless you agree to using the tutorial at the beginning of the game. Am playing it again to see if the mapping feature cuts away some of the playing time. I think it will to some degree, but it is still a 6+ hour game. Good value.

I’ll write a better review once I get through the second pass.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Melanie68 - 26 August 2012 10:30 AM

I’m currently playing Surface, The Noise She Couldn’t Make. It’s quite good. Interesting story with some good cutscenes. The puzzles aren’t necessarily too different but they seem more interesting in the context of this particular game. It seems to rise above the cookie cutter games out there for me.

This is definitely on my list of monthly budget busters as soon as the SE comes out. I thought the demo was very good. There was a wealth of good games coming out this month. I only need to buy two more to get one for free. Now that’s marketing. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Elena - 26 August 2012 11:07 AM

I’m replaying Brink of Consciousness:Dorian Gray Syndrome.
It’s a really good game.Gripping story,wonderful voice acting,good graphics,interesting puzzles,everything you ask from a game.
It has a bit of backtracking which some might find tiresome.
If you buy the game,go for the CE version.It concludes the story.
Highly recommended.  Thumbs Up

I just downloaded the demo. I always want to try what contributors recommend. I’m not a big fan of CE versions which most of the visitors here know. But let’s see what happens.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top