• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Am I the only one that is getting pis*ed off paying $100 for every special edition box on Kickstarter?

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Am I the only one that is getting pis*ed off paying $100 for every special edition box on Kickstarter?

I think this is so unfair that all the companies require a $100 pledge for us to get a classic collectors edition big box.
I think it would be fair to pay $50 for a box, maybe $60 tops. It is getting quiet expensive if you want a box for every Adventure Game that you sponsor on Kickstarter. Frown

What are your thoughts?

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I usually buy my games on disc, and I must admit there’s only been one kickstarter so far that I put the 100 bucks down for. If a disc copy were cheaper I’d probably get a few more…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2005-03-13

PM

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable. The point of a pledge is to give money to the project that they can use to develop the game, not to get your money’s worth in rewards. Putting the collector’s box on a higher tier encourages people to pledge more.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

I’m assuming after the game is made they will offer it as discs (as well as downloads) at a more reasonable price - so you might as well wait.

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2012-08-05

PM

Yeah, it kind of sucks, but if you’re giving money to a kickstarter, it’s because you care about the series beyond just owning it. If you want like the price, you don’t have to buy it. I give $100 because to me, even at the higher price, it’s worth it.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

Also, when you’re producing a box version (design and everything) only for a bunch of people, it is more expensive to produce.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

VampireNaomi - 26 August 2012 09:42 AM

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable. The point of a pledge is to give money to the project that they can use to develop the game, not to get your money’s worth in rewards. Putting the collector’s box on a higher tier encourages people to pledge more.

This is certainly one of the reasons.

The other reason surrounds all the stuff you’re going to be getting in your special edition. Most of the stuff we buy these days is actually incredibly cheap due to mass production, though we’re so used to it that we just accept it as being the standard price for everything. When you manufacture thousands or more of an item you can reduce costs at each stage by shrinking the profit margin on the individual units, resulting in the consumer getting a good price. When you have something custom made, or make a limited batch as in the example of Kickstarter rewards, the cost per unit is much higher.

Just try to be content in the knowledge that at least with a Kickstarter special edition all your money is going to a good cause, rather than when you buy a special edition of a regular game for some exorbitant price, and all that money goes straight into the pockets of some greedy publisher.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

Niclas - 26 August 2012 08:53 AM

So why are you doing it? They’re not forcing you are they?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Actually for $100 you get

* Download of Broken Sword - the Serpent’s Curse - DRM FREE - PC (Windows and Linux) & Mac
* Regular Developer Diaries, ideas Exchange Forum and Video Updates
* Access to exclusive digital content: Game Artwork (inc. poster and wallpaper);
* Director’s Commentary on previous Broken Sword games & Archive Videos
* Hi-Res Digital Comic Books of Broken Sword - The Serpent’s Curse, Broken Sword: 
  Director’s Cut, and Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror: Remastered
* History of Broken Sword eBook
* Broken Sword - the Serpent’s Curse digital Concept Art - character sheets, layouts
  etc.
* Broken Sword - the Serpent’s Curse Digital Soundtrack
* Copy of any one previous Revolution game on GOG.com (Broken Sword or otherwise - PC
  only)
* Exclusive digital Game Design Content: Scripts of Broken Sword: Director’s Cut,
  Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror: Remastered, and Broken Sword - the Serpent’s
  Curse; Game Design Document for Broken Sword - the Serpent’s Curse; Archive of
  existing Game Design Documents for previous games
* All Revolution game titles on GOG.com: Broken Sword 1 -4, In Cold Blood, Lure of the
  Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky (PC only)
* Boxed Kickstarter special edition of the Game, includes: CD / DVD game with full
  packaging, Game Comic Book for Broken Sword – Director’s Cut, Broken Sword 2 –
* Remastered, Broken Sword – the Serpent’s Curse; game Poster; CD with full Soundtrack;
  Kickstarter Backer T-Shirt. Shipping in US, EU and UK included. Please note: this
  Collector’s Box art is unique to Kickstarter and won’t be available again
* Early access to digital Music Soundtrack
* ‘Broken Sword Gold Member’ credit in the game!

Seems a bargain to me.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I think you certainly get your moneys worth with the Broken Sword 5 box, and no, I don’t think there should be a cheaper regular box available - who knows, this game might not even end up getting sold in stores at all.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well it’s a kickstarter project…most of the money are needed just for development.and devs these days are pushing for digital distribution which is a lot easier for them.i’m assuming these games won’t be available on disc.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Right now, if youre in a small niche market, it doesnt make sense to make box copies. Making big physical editions is much more expensive than selling digital and you dont stand to reach a lot more people with them if youre not putting them on the shelves of every gamestop. theyr the biggest cost of a publisher, a cost these kickstartes would like to minimize. So these projects for the most part arent selling boxed copies, theyr making limited prints for the people who really want them. And in order to pay for a small print run you need to charge more. 100 isnt even that unusual these days for deluxe box editions.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Remember that kickstarter rewards are just that - rewards. You aren’t buying the game and bonus items per se, but rather you are making a donation. The project creator rewards people based on how much they donate.

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

cbman - 26 August 2012 10:16 AM
Niclas - 26 August 2012 08:53 AM

So why are you doing it? They’re not forcing you are they?

I just love having the box of a game instead of just downloading it. I will always prefer to have the original packing of a game, instead of just a down load.  I just think it is a little bit expensive to pay $85 more just to get the box, when I can get the downloaded game for $15. I know that when you pay $100 for the box, you get a lot more, t-shirts, posters, etc, but all in all I just want the box, and no extra stuff. I have supported almost every Adventure Game on Kickstarter with $100, it just gets a little bit expensive… Smile

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I read in a comment on the Kickstarter from one of the Revolution employees that a regular boxed version will be released too at some point, though the version available through Kickstarter will be exclusive to Kickstarter - including the swag.

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 26 August 2012 07:53 PM

I read in a comment on the Kickstarter from one of the Revolution employees that a regular boxed version will be released too at some point, though the version available through Kickstarter will be exclusive to Kickstarter - including the swag.

OK, that is pretty cool of them to do that. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top