• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shenmue III

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

wilco - 20 June 2015 09:14 AM

Seems like a big part of the funds comes from the kickstarter and how big the scope of the game will be really depends of the stretch goals being reached.

That’s a little concerning. I was relieved when I read Sony was going to foot the bill for the majority of development. With this situation, the big publisher gets the glory for announcing the game, which sells systems, and fans get the blame when the project doesn’t reach its very steep stretch goal.

I hope it’s a Shenmue we want to play. At $10 million for the bells and whistles on a game that was made famous for its bells and whistles, it will be a big ask.

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Tad - 21 June 2015 12:20 AM

Ignorance is bliss I guess as the man himself has proven you both wrong, but you still won’t let it go. It’s pathetic and childish - especially as one of you is abusing your position.

You’re wrong to move the thread as it’s an adventure game at heart. They’re are puzzles, people to talk to, exploration etc. Heck, the main plot is tracking down Lan Di through clues.

Either do your job properly or let someone more competent and less bias do it instead.

The original games included battles as a significant feature. The Kickstarter page for this game describes itself as an “action RPG” and includes “new fight mechanics” as its first bullet point in the description. These facts, as provided by the makers themselves, are enough to put the game outside the definition this site uses for adventures. (See Extent of Coverage here) Whether the game has enough adventure elements to merit coverage on release here, as has happened with other games, is a separate matter.

So this belongs in the General forum and it is staying in the General forum. These accusations of abuse of position are inappropriate and will cease now. One of the rules of the forums is that other members are treated with courtesy, and a member also being on staff does not change that.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

I suppose the act of posting the thread in the ‘Adventure’ forum was an expression of my opinion (of Shenmue’s generic heritage), which I share with Tad. I think the definition of what constitutes an adventure game, as some people perceive it, can be unnecessarily reductive - but if the action elements are enough to make this game more appropriate for the ‘General’ board, that’s fine. It’s not an RPG, and certainly not a beat-‘em-up (although fighting selections are present, a la Dreamfall), but if we’re considering anything that treads outside the 20th century model of the adventure game as unsuitable for the label, then Shenmue is a ‘General’ discussion point. I guess it shows how innovative games can challenge our definitions & expectations - such that we should really reconsider how we approach genre.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Adventure or not, I’ll be really looking forward to this title if they remake/distribute first two games. I heard nothing but praise for them. If not, I’ll wait until I get a chance to play originals because the story of third Shenmue seems heavily tied to them. I suspect that playing Shenmue III without touching on first two games would be like playing Suikoden III without prior knowledge SI & II world. It’d be okay, but the story wouldn’t have such an emotional impact on player.

As person who never player original Shenmue games, I’m also very inclined to put this into “action adventure” category. Though, admin/mods may change their mind when game releases. I recall having similar doubts about L. A. Noire, that ended up as one of the best rated games here. Also, Journey, Heavy Rain and other action-heavy (for AG, I mean) also ended up in Adventure thread so not all hope is lost. Smile

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

pygmyking - 21 June 2015 04:42 AM

I suppose the act of posting the thread in the ‘Adventure’ forum was an expression of my opinion (of Shenmue’s generic heritage), which I share with Tad.

Suzuki also explained what inspired the Shenmue series:

“When I was making Virtua Fighter, I went location hunting in China. I was very inspired by Chinese martial arts. That very well may have been the beginning.”

And i said it previously in some thread, you cannot fight your way through with fights and boss fights in Shen2 with same skill as Dreamfall,  like fight with Baihu.
They are not as cursory elements.

There are going to be more bosses + Virtuafighter fighting model, plus the fact that you are going to fight hand to hand with Landi like other clan Leaders in rest of the chapters.
Now you can go and calculate % of fight scenes and amount of time, in that sense i can say Witcher3 to Deusex:HR as adventures too, because gameplay to conversation/exploration ratio was wide.

Talking about KS,

@fov
I think that some site article already sabotaged campaign, some mentioning and insisting to even stop backing it. In anycase 2 million will be good for Story only and i am fine with that, as long as there is fighting scenes with main clan leaders which is the Story Suzuki planned and essential element for revenge. I think UE4 is best bet for keeping budget in line. Also considering budget of Beyond and Witcher3, Shenmue3 at 10million can be done in full form with UE4 if they can manage the money properly.
Suzuki has said there are other resources too, so its not just 10 million$.

@BT
All cool man, i know you are genuine, was just saying. Wink

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

nomadsoul - 21 June 2015 05:55 AM

@BT

Right on; this is a tough one for me, as I do like Shenmue - and yeah, getting a 3rd one is pretty exciting video game news, but I have some reservations about using Kickstarter in this manner. 

Bt

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

lucebend - 21 June 2015 05:48 AM

Adventure or not, I’ll be really looking forward to this title if they remake/distribute first two games. I heard nothing but praise for them. If not, I’ll wait until I get a chance to play originals because the story of third Shenmue seems heavily tied to them. I suspect that playing Shenmue III without touching on first two games would be like playing Suikoden III without prior knowledge SI & II world. It’d be okay, but the story wouldn’t have such an emotional impact on player.

As person who never player original Shenmue games, I’m also very inclined to put this into “action adventure” category. Though, admin/mods may change their mind when game releases. I recall having similar doubts about L. A. Noire, that ended up as one of the best rated games here. Also, Journey, Heavy Rain and other action-heavy (for AG, I mean) also ended up in Adventure thread so not all hope is lost. Smile

I dont remember any direct main characters connection between Suikoden games, played upto Suikoden 5. But events and world were connected and some side casts appeared again.
So MGS is best example, its Bigboss and SolidSnake story and for MGSV , Peacewalker, MGS 1,2,3 are must. Grin
And LANoire shooting scenes are way perfunctory which can also be skipped at your convenience, like all action scenes in that game.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

No main character connections in Suikoden, but lots of side characters that reappear. Although, yes, MGS is maybe better example I haven’t thought of. Smile

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

stepurhan - 21 June 2015 03:23 AM

So this belongs in the General forum and it is staying in the General forum. These accusations of abuse of position are inappropriate and will cease now. One of the rules of the forums is that other members are treated with courtesy, and a member also being on staff does not change that.

The whole game is tied together through adventure no different to point ‘n’ click. Find clues as to who Lan Di is, who is he working for, then where is he. Then, it opens up into a much bigger story. Yes, it has other elements too, but so does other games in this genre. If anything, Shenmue is the evolution of this genre and it’s influences can be see in so many games.

As for the admin part…yeah, thought as much. That’s quite laughable really.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Blackthorne - 21 June 2015 06:10 AM
nomadsoul - 21 June 2015 05:55 AM

@BT

Right on; this is a tough one for me, as I do like Shenmue - and yeah, getting a 3rd one is pretty exciting video game news, but I have some reservations about using Kickstarter in this manner. 

Bt

The only real problem I see is the lack of transparency regarding total budget.

The problem is NOT that they have other money. In fact it’s sort of insane to back any kind of large-scale game development project that DOESN’T have any other funding, because they have to have some ability to cope with overruns and unanticipated problems. If Double Fine was just some indie dev with no outside income, Broken Age would have just been cancelled. Almost every project has unanticipated challenges and if there isn’t funding from somewhere else there’s no way to meet those.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

thejobloshow - 21 June 2015 02:00 AM

I was relieved when I read Sony was going to foot the bill for the majority of development.

Complete and utter speculation, by the way. Sony has said they will be offering financial support as well as other resources (likely things like play-testing, etc) but they have not said how much.

Suzuki said that the KS money will likely be a majority of the game’s funding. The uncertainty in that statement leads me to believe that the total outside support is more than the KS has raised now, but less than he expects it to end at. So maybe 4-5 million?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Havent played shenmue so i cant say for sure. But yeah if were going to accept games like LA noire and journey as adventures, then you cant turn around and say shenmue isnt an adventure solely because of significant action elements. Sounds like its adventure-driven.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Great work as always, fov.

Tad, your outburst was both childish and entirely unfounded. Smarten up.

For the record, AG has never considered the Shenmue series to be adventure games, and we’re not about to start now with what the developers themselves call “open world action RPG games”.

I could easily make a case why one game is called an adventure here and not another, but that’s a colossal waste of time. Instead, it will suffice to say that I’m not at all swayed by the slippery slope argument.

nomadsoul - 20 June 2015 08:09 AM

KS is just a means to an end, its should not be an ethical issue.

Ethical issues are always about the use of tools, not the tools themselves. Whenever great new tools are created, people will immediately look for ways to exploit them the way their creators never intended.

Perhaps people get bent out of shape about words like “ethics”. I’m sure no one is trying to paint this kind of Kickstarter use as blatantly corrupt. It’s not against any rules, it’s financially defensible, and clearly there are benefits to it for many. But it’s hard not to acknowledge it as at least antithetical to the original Kickstarter spirit of helping the little guy. Then again, if this is the only way gamers will get great new mid-budget games, that’s a pretty compelling trade-off.

The one thing I agree with completely is the need for total transparency from the beginning.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I can easily give examples of where it’s an adventure game if so be it as I’ve played through it more times then I can remember. It’s up to the mods/admin to move it now…yeah.

About the Kickstarter…

It seems to be moving rather fast, but I’m not sure where it will get too by the end. Can’t see Yu Suzuki getting the 10 million if I’m honest.

Tad, your outburst was both childish and entirely unfounded. Smarten up.

oh, the irony. Considering your own uncalled for outbursts in the past its laughable for you to even call me out on this. I see you’ve also tip toed around the fact he’s been proven wrong by Suzuki’s himself. All you’ve done is proven it’s not the same rules for everyone.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I’m really not interested in what makes you laugh, Tad. You won’t be warned again.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top